Air Canada Starts Red Deer Service

manwest

MONTREAL, July 10, 2013 /CNW Telbec/ – Air Canada announced today it will commence scheduled service to Red Deer, Alberta on September 3, 2013 with three daily flights from Red Deer Airport to Calgary. Flights will be operated by Air Georgian under the Air Canada Express brand, using 18-seat Beechcraft 1900D aircraft.
“Air Canada is strategically expanding its domestic services, offering customers more destinations and choices when flying. Reflecting the general strength of the Alberta economy, we are pleased to start scheduled service from Red Deer, linking Central Alberta conveniently and directly to our Calgary hub,” said Marcel Forget, Air Canada’s Vice President, Network Planning. “Flights have been scheduled to enable easy connections to Air Canada’s extensive domestic, U.S. and international network via Calgary.”
Flights are available for purchase now at http://www.aircanada.com and through travel agents. Sample introductory one-way fares including all taxes from Red Deer are as follows: Vancouver-$188; Toronto-$277; Halifax-$334; Newark-$299; Los Angeles-$231. In addition, customers collect Aeroplan Miles through Canada’s leading loyalty program when travelling with Air Canada.
“We are so excited to welcome Air Canada Express to Red Deer Airport. This new air service is a tremendous step in our continuing push to enhance business and leisure air travel opportunities for the residents of Central Alberta,” said RJ Steenstra, CEO, Red Deer Airport Authority. “Central Albertans will now be connected to Canada and the rest of the world through Air Canada and its alliance partners. This new service will be of tremendous benefit to business and commerce in the area and that is a very exciting prospect.”
Flight # Depart Red
Deer (YQF) Arrive Calgary
(YYC) Flight # Depart Calgary
(YYC) Arrive Red
Deer (YQF)
AC7205 05:30 05:57 AC7206 08:45 09:12
AC7207 09:35 10:00 AC7208 13:20 13:47
AC7209 14:10 14:37 AC7210 21:30 21:57

:cool::cool::cool:

Posted in Air Canada

No worse than YVR-YYJ :biggrin1:

The drive on HWY2 abeam from Penhold, the location of YQF, to YYC is way easier on my car interior than that awkward 30 mile section connecting HWY17 and 17A that gets me from YYJ to YVR....

:wink_smile:

Edited by Thebean

I'm more refering to the flakes who will drive to Red Deer to get the extra segment on the way to wherever they were going in the first place. The guys who will impatiently tell you to the penny how much a minute of their time is worth as they seek to be booked on a three-stop, zig-zagging twenty hour itinerary for what would otherwise take three hours direct.

I understand how it works and I guess if a person's regular flying gets them close to the specified number of flights to get the status it would be worth adding a few extra legs but somehow it always reminds me of boneheads who buy crap they don't need because they want to collect the air miles.

I'm more refering to the flakes who will drive to Red Deer to get the extra segment on the way to wherever they were going in the first place. The guys who will impatiently tell you to the penny how much a minute of their time is worth as they seek to be booked on a three-stop, zig-zagging twenty hour itinerary for what would otherwise take three hours direct.

Spot on.

These nudniks never cease to amaze me at the lengths and inconvenience they'll incur to earn "status". And to put up with all that inconvenience for basically lounge access, a few "free" drinks and stale appy's and a chance to be upgraded into a declining number of J seats? And to top it off, for some reason, these guys think that they are a legacy airline's "best" customers.

Any movers and shakers I know wouldn't even consider wasting their precious time on these antics.

If I were Red Arrow, I'd adjust the bus sched to allow for a Red Deer to YYC terminal drop off at the same times to intercept as much of the connecting traffic as possible.

I'm a big proponent of route planners spending a couple of days personally taking all transportation options available between possible ultra short haul routes, (ie routes where surface travel is under 2 hours), before selecting them. It provides clarity and local color that is impossible to understand by looking at two dots on a map from a headquarters a couple of thousand km's away.

When I moved west in the early 80's, I was always amazed at the distances people would travel on a routine basis compared to Southern and Eastern Ontario. Driving 3+ hours to a cabin is nothing in Western Canada. Try to explain that to folks in Ottawa that can rip up to the cabin in the Gatineau's in 45 mins, or those in Toronto that can be at Lake Simcoe in a little over an hour. It's a different paradigm.

There's a huge difference between the 75 minute drive from Red Deer to Calgary Airport on a nice smooth 4 lane highway with an occasional bend in it with most people cruising along in the mid 120kmph range and insignificant traffic compared to the drive from, say London, Ont into Toronto. It's just not that big a deal for most people even in all but a few nasty days in the winter.

Now, ask folks in Red Deer how they feel about the drive to, say, Kelowna, Vancouver or the Island.......

:cool:

Edited by Thebean

This was tried already - Regional 1 did a daily YQF-YLW-YVR sked on a Dash-8 about 5 years ago and it lasted, if memory serves, about 4 months. They also did a YQL-YVR daily. And this was in the summer time when everyone who owns property in the Okanagan like to travel. Red Deer can talk all they want but from what I remember, all the chatter out of the talking heads at city hall didn't translate into anywhere close to BELF on a Dash or even a 1900 for that matter.

Might be a different deal with Aeroplan etc but........

This was tried already - Regional 1 did a daily YQF-YLW-YVR sked on a Dash-8 about 5 years ago and it lasted, if memory serves, about 4 months. They also did a YQL-YVR daily. And this was in the summer time when everyone who owns property in the Okanagan like to travel. Red Deer can talk all they want but from what I remember, all the chatter out of the talking heads at city hall didn't translate into anywhere close to BELF on a Dash or even a 1900 for that matter.

Might be a different deal with Aeroplan etc but........

A lot of people tried to do what WJ's done in various markets across North America over the last 15 years and none have been particularly successful.

If I had a dime for every time I was told YQQ, YXX and a number of other of markets wouldn't work, I'd be rich.

Regional One was a typically undercapitalized, poorly marketed, half assed attempt at sched service with no connectivity to anything. They even tried to go head to head with WJ on YLW-YYJ at virtually the same time. Heck. I LIVED in Victoria and my radar was LOOKING for some evidence they were in the market and they were invisible to me. Even WJ ignored them from the get go as irrelevant and a very short term player in the marketplace.

I think they lasted a few months at the sorts of fares they were charging, which weren't particularly interesting from a consumer perspective.

I wouldn't put Regional One's anemic effort in the same league as what WJE might dream up as time marches on.

Kudos to Northwestern for trying sched YQF-YLW but with Jetstream unit costs and WJ type fares, I can't imagine their accountants are particularly happy at the goings on. My understanding is sched is not Northwestern's core business.

If you haven't been in , (IN, not through, IN), Red Deer in the past 5-7 years, you'd be blown away by what's happening there. I was. It's a big time oil services boom town, something that just isn't seen in Central or Eastern Canada these days.

Edited by Thebean

Bean, red arrow already has a airport shuttle service.

Red Arrow provides two airport transportation options to and from the Calgary International Airport (YYC):

Airport Shuttle Service from Red Arrow’s North Calgary Ticket Office:

Direct Airport shuttle service from Red Arrow’s North Calgary location (304, 35th Ave. N.E.) to the Calgary International Airport is available Monday to Friday.

In order to reserve a seat on the Airport Shuttle, you must be travelling on a Red Arrow connecting coach from Fort McMurray, Edmonton or Red Deer to Calgary.

The cost of the airport shuttle is $25 for up to two passengers, and $30 for groups of 3 people or more (prices do not include GST).

Reservations are required 24 hours prior to shuttle departure. To reserve an Airport Shuttle, call: 1-800-232-1958

They must have taken the Bean's advice....

:wink_smile:

"Regional One was a typically undercapitalized, poorly marketed, half assed attempt at sched service with no connectivity to anything. They even tried to go head to head with WJ on YLW-YYJ at virtually the same time. Heck. I LIVED in Victoria and my radar was LOOKING for some evidence they were in the market and they were invisible to me. Even WJ ignored them from the get go as irrelevant and a very short term player in the marketplace."

Truer words haven't been spoken. I remember looking at this before it started and shaking my head. JB needs to stick to what he knows best - being a hoarder and ACMI operator.