Encore Over Ytz

CanadaEH

I would have done a touch-and-go.

Had you done that, I suspect the resultant tidal flood of sweat would have caused the Island Airport to be shutdown.

Then again, the tightening of sphincters would have ensured that no solid waste matter would have flowed through the sewage pipes at the Island Airport for a couple of days.

:wink_smile:

The minute that WJ Encore touches down at YTZ on a revenue flight the value of PAH in an IPO will be cut in half. Porter and its allies will move heaven and earth to make sure that never happens. The good news for PAH is that WJ has shown zero interest in YTZ thus far.

The minute that WJ Encore touches down at YTZ on a revenue flight the value of PAH in an IPO will be cut in half.

How much is half of zero?

How much is half of zero?

Believe it or not, there is value in the individual businesses that fall under the PAH umbrella. Whether they collectively have value will in fact be determined by the market if PAH does decide to dip its toes in the IPO market again as a holding company rather than specific business units.

I believe that what PAH should be doing is akin to what AC/ACE did - identify profitable subsidiary businesses and spin them off individually via IPO. However, if this were to ever morph from concept to reality then PAH would have to provide publicly a pro forma for the business unit that it was tendering.

Time will tell.

So, are props for boats or what?!! Just kidding, congratulations to WestJet, hope it works out for them and their employees.

seeker, you must be thinking of Air Canada's cash reserves! How many times have you and rudder been wrong abut Porter; getting tired yet?

The minute that WJ Encore touches down at YTZ on a revenue flight the value of PAH in an IPO will be cut in half. Porter and its allies will move heaven and earth to make sure that never happens. The good news for PAH is that WJ has shown zero interest in YTZ thus far.

Until now....

http://www.ctvnews.ca/business/westjet-expresses-interest-in-flying-out-of-toronto-s-island-airport-1.1314043

The air to air photos are done from a Navajo aircraft with the cabin door removed and the photographer tethered in the doorway. I have watched them do these shoots many times. They do get some great shots.

The air to air photos are done from a Navajo aircraft with the cabin door removed and the photographer tethered in the doorway. I have watched them do these shoots many times. They do get some great shots.

Wow, that's quite impressive and well worth of some pictures itself!

Had you done that, I suspect the resultant tidal flood of sweat would have caused the Island Airport to be shutdown.

Then again, the tightening of sphincters would have ensured that no solid waste matter would have flowed through the sewage pipes at the Island Airport for a couple of days.

:wink_smile:

I would have done a touch-and-go.

What, and get a bill for landing fees from the Port Authority?

seeker, you must be thinking of Air Canada's cash reserves! How many times have you and rudder been wrong abut Porter; getting tired yet?

Hah! It was a test. I wanted to find out if you were lurking in the shadows - I knew I could bait you out into the open if you were.

As rudder says there's lots of value in the various parts of Porter's operation but the fact that the IPO plan fell through twice tells me that you (sorry, I mean the principals) can't monetize it. So, if you can't sell something it's "value" is zero - at least for now.

As far as me commenting on Porter - you must have me confused with someone else. I defer on these matters to Bean, Dagger and the other smart people you post here.

Ah...mission accomplished seeker! And you're plenty smart yourself to know that there was only one attempted IPO....thinking or talking about it, doesn't count! Anyhow, as you were about WestJet......

WestJet flies new turboprops over Toronto Island airport in hint that it covets access

Jun 06, 2013 - Financial Post
Scott Deveau

WestJet Airlines Ltd. got the keys to its first Bombardier Q400 turboprops this week and one of the first things it did was take the aircraft on a flyby over Toronto’s Billy Bishop Toronto City airport.

The Calgary-based carrier also took a picture of freshly painted turboprop with the WestJet livery as it flew by the airport and posted it on its Facebook page with a characteristically cheeky caption: “Knock. Knock. Who’s there?”

It will be at least 18 to 24 months before WestJet begins flying its new Bombardier Q400s in the East under the Encore brand – and probably even longer from Toronto Island with no slots currently available at the downtown airport. But WestJet did take one step closer by formally taking delivery of its first two Bombardier Q400s ahead of Encore’s first flight June 24 between Calgary and Nanaimo, B.C.

Ferio Pugliese, WestJet Encore president, said there is a lot of buzz around the Calgary headquarters ahead of the launch of the new low-cost carrier. More than 100 staff have been hired, and the pilots and mechanics are being trained.

“I’ve found it amazing how, even within the WestJet world, people have been watching very closely to the evolution of this business,” he said.

Encore will have its operating certificate any day now, he added. Mr. Pugliese said Encore should be a boon for consumers in smaller cities. He expects the average fare to fall 30% to 50% on the routes that are currently only served by its rival, Air Canada. But there will be other benefits for Encore passengers, he said, including free beer and wine, something that proved popular for its other rival, Porter Airlines.

Encore’s Q400s will be delivered in a higher 78-seat configuration than Porter and Air Canada, which fly their planes with 70 or 74 seats. But the new slimline seats offer passengers a surprisingly roomy 31-inch seating pitch on the plane.

'would be interested in flying from Billy Bishop if slots were made available'

Yup when the real story is boring we just make up something more interesting. The picture was taken PRIOR to delivery to the customer.

WestJet flies new turboprops over Toronto Island airport in hint that it covets access

Jun 06, 2013 - Financial Post
Scott Deveau

WestJet Airlines Ltd. got the keys to its first Bombardier Q400 turboprops this week and one of the first things it did was take the aircraft on a flyby over Toronto’s Billy Bishop Toronto City airport.

The Calgary-based carrier also took a picture of freshly painted turboprop with the WestJet livery as it flew by the airport and posted it on its Facebook page with a characteristically cheeky caption: “Knock. Knock. Who’s there?”

Just a bit off topic - whoever does the photography for Westjet seems to be a notch above all the other aviation photographers in generating pictures that capture the public's imagination. I love that photo on the commercial showing a birds eye view of a Westjet 737 over Vancouver and the second one in this video

http://www.youtube.com/user/WestJet

Really nice.

Archived