Gimli Glider Up For Auction

Airjetmech

Arguably the most important aircraft in Canadian aviation history?

That's a bit of a stretch for an airframe that is soon to become a few dozen pallets of soda cans stacked in a non descript warehouse somewhere....

I can't wait for the spin when Transat's Azores glider is at the end of it's economic life.....

:cool:

The truth is.... Nobody knows what it's worth at auction, since it's never been sold at an auction. If people consider it worth something to Canadian aircraft history, then it is.

I'd LOVE to have it on my front lawn, but that'$ not an auction for the like$ of me. :blush:

Where is the aircraft now and where is the auction? I thought it had been flown to the desert a few years ago. I guess it won't be like a Barrett-Jackson auction where it's rolled up on stage by a couple of guys wearing white gloves anyway.

Where is the aircraft now and where is the auction? I thought it had been flown to the desert a few years ago. I guess it won't be like a Barrett-Jackson auction where it's rolled up on stage by a couple of guys wearing white gloves anyway.

I think the aircraft is at Mojave Airport, Calif....

Auction in YZ

Preview Times

• Friday, April 12, 2013

12:00 PM to 8:00 PM EDT

• Saturday, April 13, 2013

9:00 AM to 8:00 PM EDT

• Sunday, April 14, 2013

9:00 AM to 4:00 PM EDT

Auction Times

• Friday, April 12, 2013

3:00 PM to 8:00 PM EDT

• Saturday, April 13, 2013

10:00 AM to 8:00 PM EDT

• Sunday, April 14, 2013

10:00 AM to 4:00 PM EDT

6900 Airport Road

Mississauga Ontario L4V 1E8

Canada

The current owners of the plane, an unnamed California-based aircraft lessor, were hoping to get between $2.5-million and $3-million for the Gimli Glider.
But Terry Lobzun, a spokesman for Collectable Cars, said the highest bidder came in Sunday far short of that mark at $425,000.
He said Collectable Cars will now go back to the bidders to see if there’s a way to drive up their offers, or if they can get a group together to raise the funds. But he said the ‘For Sale” sign on the Gimli Glider remains.

National Post - Apr 14, 2013

The reality is it's worth pretty much what any 32 year old 767-200 is worth. It's a pretty big chunk of metal that in reality is nothing more than an interesting footnote in Canadian aviation history.

Archived