Some People! Airline Rant....

Seeker

The race to the bottom for fares has not produced this. There have been a myriad of posts on here, ususally from the GET OFF MY LAWN!!! crowd about how great things were way back when guests wore their Sunday best to fly and air travel was not meant for the great unwashed.

I would rather have an air transportation system that is democratized the way it is now that gives most people the chance to fly and more importantly, gives a lot more employment opportunities to those other than people with a family or union connection to get their foot in the door.

Society as a whole has gotten more casual. Look at old video from hockey or baseball games, most of the men are in jacket and tie, not a scene you see anymore, just like the concept of wearing anything but a suit and tie to the office would be foreign to office workers a couple generations ago.

I gree that people can be pigs but I don't think this is a new phenomenon, has beenn going on forever. I understand that some may think society is becoming coarser and I don't neccessarily disagree however I think the wringing of hands over it is a little much.

NOW GET OFF MY LAWN!!!

The interior of an engineering marvel that gets one in complete safety from one place to another that is 10,000km away and still keeps one's food warm is among the thousands of examples of the pure genius of our age yet some still soil their temporary nests and bitch when the drinks don't come fast enough.

Maybe if the drinks didn't come at all it would alleviate some of the problems.

Like you, I have seen this kind of mess first hand so I agree with the comment, but I didn't actually say it. :gossip:

I did say that people are pigs, but it happens in the J class seating areas too, I've seen it first hand. One of the worst offenders was a guy I recognized. At the time, he was a senior exec in a major Canadian corporation. Years earlier I had the pleasure of cleaning up after him after a charter flight in a Citation. An entire tray of catering had been ground into the carpet, butter included. :Furious:

Sorry JO. My mistake.....it was Boestar who mentioned the charter airlines.

He's got very long legs. Looks like that's the only way to stretch out and get comfortable. I once heard a story of David Collinette sitting in row 1, with his dirty feet up on the bulkhead. This was when he was Transport Minister.

On the other side of the coin. Grooming does employ many people. They have jobs, benefits etc for the sole reason that people are slobs. Take that away and someone loses a job.

There are 2 sides to every coin.

The industry will always employ groomers ........there will always be people that drop an item or two and have it roll under a seat and as you know, it is almost impossible to retrieve anything from the sitting position with the seat pitch as it is. If it is not that valuable, like a potato chip or two, the item will be left where it fell.

The point many are making, and I agree, is that those that act like pigs need to be taken to task. These poorly mannered individuals/families feel that they have 'rented' their space for as short duration and can leave it in any condition they like.

FWIW.....Perhaps another laminated card with actual "pig droppings" photos should be inserted in the seat back with a few words of encouragement such as.. "We respect each and every passenger, please respect our workplace....thank you..Your Inflight Cabin Crew"

He's got very long legs. Looks like that's the only way to stretch out and get comfortable. I once heard a story of David Collinette sitting in row 1, with his dirty feet up on the bulkhead. This was when he was Transport Minister.

But I thought Macolm said the race to the bottom had caused this kind of behavior?

I am all for allowing children to be children but there's a time and place for some respect for the people you're sharing space with. If you want to see evidence of a lack of parental involvement, stay in a hotel with a bunch of families who are involved in a hockey tournament, as I am right now. Since when did these hallways and the elevators become someone's playground? The hotel staff are trying their best but some parents just aren't. They're too busy getting hammered and setting such a lovely example for the next generation.

Flight diverted after family raises concerns over PG-13 inflight movie

April 04, 2013 - FoxNews.com

A family's criticism of inflight entertainment allegedly prompted a United flight to be diverted over "security concerns."

In a story published in The Atlantic, one family recounts traveling from Denver to Baltimore with two young sons, ages 4 and 8. During the flight, the PG-13-rated detective film "Alex Cross" was shown on drop-down monitors across the plane.

The family worried about their young children seeing inappropriate content in the film.

"Alarmed by the opening scenes, we asked two flight attendants if they could turn off the monitor; both claimed it was not possible," the family said, according to The Atlantic.

After some back and forth between the family and the flight crew, the family reportedly relented to the movie being shown and did their best to engage their children to keep them from watching the movie.

"We asked if the captain has the authority to address this issue, but received no response," the family said. "Throughout these interactions the atmosphere was collegial, no voices were raised and no threats, implicit or explicit, of any kind were made. The flight continued without incident, while my wife and I engaged our children to divert their attention from the horrific scenes on the movie screens."

But shortly after that, the captain announced the flight was being diverted to a Chicago airport due to "security concerns."

When the family disembarked, they were questioned by law enforcement officials then booked on a new flight.

"United flight 638 from Denver to Baltimore diverted to Chicago O'Hare after the crew reported a disturbance involving a passenger," United Airlines told FoxNews.com. "The flight landed without incident and the customers were removed from the aircraft. We reaccommodated the customers on the next flight to Baltimore and have since conducted a full review of our inflight entertainment."

The family argues the captain overreacted to the incident.

"We understand that airline captains can and should have complete authority," the family said. "However, when this authority is used for senseless, vindictive acts, it must be addressed."

It would be interesting to have been a fly on the flight deck wall and actually heard what was being conveyed to the Captain from the Flight Attendants.

Not to take away from the important and great role FAs play within the crew - it wouldn't be the first time Ive seen a FA overreact regarding a passenger in a scenario that otherwise could have been dealt with in a different way.

Then again I wasn't there so Ill never know.

SB

Archived