Are New Atpl Licence Requirements Coming?

HST

I have heard that TC will adjust how co-pilot time is accrued to meet the 1,500 hour ATPL requirement.

At present only 50% of co-pilot time is counted.

421.10 Crediting of Flight Time Acquired by a Co-pilot

The holder of a pilot licence may be credited not more than 50% of co-pilot flight time towards the total flight time required for the issuance of a higher class of pilot licence.

Talk is that co-pilot time (on aircraft requiring 2 pilots for its operation) will now count as 100% towards a higher licence.

Does anyone here know if there is any truth to this and if so when this new requirement will take effect?

Yup, according to the Canada Gazette, the Canadian government publication, these changes, among others are coming.

http://www.gazette.gc.ca/rp-pr/p1/2013/2013-02-23/html/reg3-eng.html

"Currently, under section 401.10 Crediting of Flight Time Acquired by a Co-pilot, the holder of a pilot licence cannot be credited more than 50% of co-pilot flight time towards the total flight time required for the issuance of a higher class of pilot licence. ICAO’s standards allow the crediting in full of co-pilot flight time towards the total flight time required for the issuance of a higher class of pilot licence. These proposed amendments would align the Canadian regulation regarding the crediting of flight time acquired by a co-pilot to ICAO’s standards."

I'm wondering if they will also look at the PIC requirements (i.e. 250 PIC hours including 25 PIC night xctry, etc).

I have it from a good source that a huge number of the new Licence Booklets will all be expiring around the same time in 2014. It was suggested to me to get the replacement paperwork in at least 3 months before expiry to avoid a delay in its reissue.

FWIW

I believe the first wave of renewals will start late this year or early in 2014. So far, I've seen nothing to indicate that licensing is planning anything special in terms of preparing for the influx of a large number of renewals. On the web site, they recommend that renewal applications be submitted 90 days prior to expiry and I would strongly suggest that you follow that advice.

http://www.tc.gc.ca/eng/civilaviation/standards/general-personnel-bookletfaq-474.htm#q17

Why it wasn't set up for the licence booklet to expire on one's birthday (like my driver's licence) I will never understand. It would have been a great way to have renewal rates remain consistent throughout the year, but far be it for Ottawa to ever consider something that's done in Ontario to be a good thing. :shhh:

01 Dec 2013. That's my expiry date. Will get the process started in due course.

If Ottawa was really thinking, they'd have made these a "10-year" validity period. You know....like the passports.

Thanks for posting the TC link, JO. I'll bookmark that 'cause I'll likely not find it again when I need it.

I don't have a timeline on the changes to the time credit requirements. Given that there are over 800 regulatory changes on the books at the moment, it may take a while. One would need to see if it is on the order paper to have a realistic idea how long it will take. Personally, if it gets through before the rule changes that are supposed to require QA in flight ops, I may be pointing the 3000 PSI finger in someone's direction. That sucker is long overdue - as is bringing FD times into the 21st century. :064:

Archived