What's You Hobby?

Your not you damn

I thought it might be interesting to see what we do after work afterall there is more to life than aviation. This is what I do.

post-2806-0-89648400-1363056221_thumb.jp

Edited by AME
  • Like 1

Getting British sports cars back on the road. Since '96, I've done a '74 MGB tourer and a '69 MGB GT. Currently own a '77 MGB with a Rover V8 along with a '94 MG RV8 imported from Japan a while back.

Latest project is a '74 Austin Mini.

As mentioned....there really is more to life than aviation. Has to be to keep one's sanity. ;)

• Like 3

One of my things. I rebuilt this, changing the gearset from close to a wide ratio. Very valuable piece. Bonus points to anyone that can identify it although my handle should help. :whistling:

post-266-0-32856600-1363067259_thumb.jpg

post-266-0-70418700-1363067355_thumb.jpg

Edited by Maverick

One of my things. I rebuilt this, changing the gearset from close to a wide ratio. Very valuable piece. Bonus points to anyone that can identify it although my handle should help. :whistling:

I'm going to say 1969 Mustang 429 (originally close ratio). Close enough?

Getting British sports cars back on the road. Since '96, I've done a '74 MGB tourer and a '69 MGB GT. Currently own a '77 MGB with a Rover V8 along with a '94 MG RV8 imported from Japan a while back.

As mentioned....there really is more to life than aviation. Has to be to keep one's sanity. ;)

Nice! I'd love to find and restore an MGB (or even better, an Austin Healey) but any such dreams will wait until junior is finished university. Until then I'll stick to cycling and stretching my culinary skills.

BTW, the fact that you can work on old British cars as a hobby - especially those Lucas electrical systems - and keep your sanity - is a testament to your personal fortitude. ;)

Edited by J.O.

It's originally from a 68 - 71 Mustang. Could it be from a Boss 9?

Looks like a borg warner t10 or a T5

Edited by Robert

I am a classic car fan, I have a 69 GTO convertible that I am restoring. I have done several in the past, a 69 AMX with a 390ss, a 1971 442 with a 455 W30, a 72 Lemans as well as a pinto with a V8, lol

I also do home renos when I am bored!

Edited by Robert

I hear ya. As a lifetime Triumph guy I wasn't surprised to see the TR-6 blow up in the drag race but I WAS surprised to see it beating the S2000.

Makes it easier to work on them, airt. ;)

Don't even get me started on the MG vs Triumph thing....

Much like Ford vs Chevy vs Dodge.

I'm going to say 1969 Mustang 429 (originally close ratio). Close enough?

It's originally from a 68 - 71 Mustang. Could it be from a Boss 9?

That's impressive as hell! It is indeed a 1969 428 CJ or Boss 429 4 speed transmission. (Same trans and I can't tell from the serial number stamp) I take back many of the things I've thought :Clap-Hands::tu: and said about pilots!

Edit: It's not a T-5 or a T-10 Robert, it's a Ford T&C 4 speed or more commonly known as a toploader. Bulletproof, the best of the '60s 4 speed tranny's. Much better than a Crunchie, 'er Muncie 4-speed!

Seeker, It was originally a close ratio but I converted it to wide ratio.

Edited by Maverick

So how does your handle help them guess? Just the Maverick was a Ford?

I know little of mechanical things but I will tell you where my thought process was going.

I was thinking of Maverick being a western show starring Jim Garner and he also played a detective Jim Rockford, who always drove a Pontiac Firebird. Obviously overthought it. :biggrin1:

Edited by mo32a

Too funny... I've seen your posts on here for a while and said 'I think I know that guy'. I was your FO at one time, we golfed, and both owned MG's. We're also on Facebook.

Well, I have nothing to add to the discussion about rebuilding cars, and my hobbies are too girly to be of interest to anyone here, but I would like to say beautiful work on the cabinet Brett. My husband does woodworking, so I know how much work went into that project, well done! And Jeff, re "culinary skills", any recipes you want to share? :)

• Like 1

Cool car, Conehead and a classic car movie.

I'm all over the 60's muscle cars. My first car was a '68 Ford Torino 390GT. Used to pump 100/130 avgas into it when I was learning to fly.

Speedo needle went higher.....fuel needle went lower. Ahh, memories. :)

Great thread this. Spinnaker, now you've got me wondering. How long ago?

That's impressive as hell! It is indeed a 1969 428 CJ or Boss 429 4 speed transmission. (Same trans and I can't tell from the serial number stamp) I take back many of the things I've thought :Clap-Hands::tu: and said about pilots!

Edit: It's not a T-5 or a T-10 Robert, it's a Ford T&C 4 speed or more commonly known as a toploader. Bulletproof, the best of the '60s 4 speed tranny's. Much better than a Crunchie, 'er Muncie 4-speed!

Seeker, It was originally a close ratio but I converted it to wide ratio.

I like to take the credit when I'm right about something but not when I've done it through trickery so I'll own up here; did it as a little google experiment. I know absolutely nothing about 60s muscle car transmissions. I just typed the string of characters stamped on the side into google:

C8AR 7006-D W-1

which lead me to: http://www.fordmuscleforums.com/all-ford-techboard/499345-toploader-id.html

The smaller data tag on the side looked like: RUG AE2 which lead me to this site:

http://www.woodyg.com/fairlane/finfo/toploader5.html

The internet knows eeeeverything! Great hobby BTW, I live on the east coast and owned an old Cadillac for awhile but the climate is harsh and it's pretty much a death sentence to have a classic car here unless you are prepared for the full time job of fighting the rust issue.

Edited by seeker

Vanishing Point

I had a 1975 MGB roadster, (which made me appreciate the GT). The original Zenith-Stromberg single carburetor was a disaster. With help from my dad, and a garage, I was able to outfit an 8.8 compression rebuild with a dual SU carb setup giving 1960's performance to a 1970's MG. Anti-roll bars made the car perfect for secondary Nova Scotia roads. The sale of that car paid for some of my Commercial License almost 20 years ago. One day I'll buy another one!