Ac Storm Delay Mess

HST

I've had family have the unfortunate circumstance of having to deal with AC during this most recent storm delay. The problem is trying to talk to someone on the phone. The website has delay info but some people just want a reassuring voice to talk to, no matter how long the wait. That opportunity at the moment with AC simply doesn't exist. The line is busy and has been for hours. At the airport the check in staff are irritable beyond belief. A quick call to Westjet got through to a long wait but at least it felt as if we were getting somewhere. We (individuals and companies alike) are measured not on how we handle ourselves when all is running smoothly but how we face adversity. IMHO, AC repeatedly fails the grade.

So with a couple of hundred cancelled flights with a hundred + on each flight you expect a clear phone line to Reservations or customer care? I am not sure what the colour of the sky is in your world but it doesnt matter what airline has this kind of Irrops the result will be the same.

Boestar, I am in this business and I am very familiar with IROPs. With all due respect, AC needs to figure out how to professionally deal with their customers in circumstances like this. Busy phone lines and ignorant staff aren't the answer. The other airlines manage it better. Is asking for a system that allows customers to eventually speak to someone considered looking through rose coloured glasses? I don't think so. IMHO, AC's problem is systemic, and you sir are demonstrating why this will unlikely change.

I've been in it (pointy end) for 30 years so I'm no novice. If you were to pick up the phone and dial AC, Westjet, American, Delta right now, only one will give you a busy signal. IROPS is an ugly part of what we do but all airlines are not the same in this regard.

With all due respect. I have been in this business for 24 years and no one handles these issues any different.

IMHO, WS does a much better job of handling passengers during IROPS. I've seen both first hand more than once. It's not even a close race.

As I understand it, AC had just introduced an "active hold" feature where you can opt to keep your calling order, but have the system call you back when you get near the top of the queue. So I'm a bit surprised that you are getting a busy signal unless people are not taking advantage of this feature.

I can understand your frustration, though. After an irrop, people just want to get where they are going.

^ Two things work better for WJ than AC in these scenarios IMO, everybody will pitch in and help out even if "it's not my job" and when you do get hold of someone they seem to have your interests at heart and are not just trying to get you off the phone as fast as they can.

The same holds true for other companies as well. Amazon is amazing to deal with, that is why they get a lot of my business.

Yes non union is def. an advantage during an IROPS

There were hundreds of us unionized folks, intermixed with many managers, volunteering our time and filling any role asked of us at Pearson this weekend. Westjet doesn't have a monopoly on people who care.

I think one should bear this in mind: AC is by far the largest operator in Central Canada, where this storm hit. This was the largest storm to hit Toronto since 2008. It was hard for many airline employees to even get to work, let alone serve everyone at the airport who had to be rebooked. Three Air Canada call centres are located in cities that were in the path of this storm. But almost certainly the toughest blow was the unexpected failure of the Central De-Ice facility at YYZ, which created exponentially more problems for the airlines. It was unforeseeable - not something you would have staffed up for, even in a blizzard scenario. And its failure would have impacted the largest operators the most.

Almost everyone had major headaches during this storm. It took Park N Fly up to eight hours to retrieve peoples' cars, and their problems took centre stage in the media the past day or so.

.......................................-/-----------------------..........................--------------------------

Almost everyone had major headaches during this storm. It took Park N Fly up to eight hours to retrieve peoples' cars, and their problems took centre stage in the media the past day or so.

Yes they did and they are offering FULL REFUNDS and one week free if you come back....Too bad all airline's cost structures were such that it could do the same thing.

Yes they did and they are offering FULL REFUNDS and one week free if you come back....Too bad all airline's cost structures were such that it could do the same thing.

Maybe the GTAA will offer their clients free de-icing for the next year...yeah, right...;-)

Archived