Air Canda Changes Travel For Employees

wizard

• Replies 80
  • Created
  • Last Reply
TC is loong gone. no longer at issue. Has been for quite a while now.

Yeah, I know. My point was that Jazz management was quite willing to harm Air Canada when it suited them so it's unlikely there would be any sympathy for a claim that AC isn't honouring the spirit of the pass agreement by making a change.

BTW, my J/S is always available to any Chorus pilot and always has been.

Hey Bunk Hog...how are your share prices doing? :)

Bought 1000 at $1.12....closed yesterday at $2.46. Thanks for asking....

...but what does that have to do with employees of another carrier riding on the same priority as employees of that airline?

The CPA only states pass travelon the mainline will be available to Jazz employees...it does NOT stipulate priority. And if our senior managers had the balls, Jazz would be back to C4...9on ALL flights....those Jazz seats are Air Canada's, not Chorus'.

Jumpseats aside, (it should be part of the reciprocal j/s program) a Chorus employee is no different than a Transat or Westjet employee when it comes to boarding priority now...the tie was severed and Chorus oly provides a feed under contract.

a Chorus employee is no different than a Transat or Westjet employee when it comes to boarding priority now

How do you figure that? I was unaware that Transat and Westjet employees have pass privileges on AC.

I can't find much to say in a favourable sense in regard to the 'talent' running Jazz / Chorus, but I can express my admiration for AC's management's ability to do that which always proves to be a negative for the airline. I expect that WJ will somehow find a way to capitalize on this one too.

I can't find much to say in a favourable sense in regard to the 'talent' running Jazz / Chorus, but I can express my admiration for AC's management's ability to do that which always proves to be a negative for the airline.

The Chorus employees might be less happy but the feedback I'm hearing from the mainline employees is that they are happy with the changes so, overall, a net positive maybe.

Bought 1000 at $1.12....closed yesterday at $2.46. Thanks for asking.... ...but what does that have to do with employees of another carrier riding on the same priority as employees of that airline? The CPA only states pass travelon the mainline will be available to Jazz employees...it does NOT stipulate priority. And if our senior managers had the balls, Jazz would be back to C4...9on ALL flights....those Jazz seats are Air Canada's, not Chorus'. Jumpseats aside, (it should be part of the reciprocal j/s program) a Chorus employee is no different than a Transat or Westjet employee when it comes to boarding priority now...the tie was severed and Chorus oly provides a feed under contract.

Good for you...glad to see you invested.

As for the pass policy, I honestly don't care as I don't travel that much. I just feel that pitting one group against the other is counter productive. I was ALWAYS in favour of a two tiered system for pass travel, one for YOUR (AC) metal and one for MINE (QK and ZX too). Why should QK have priority on QK aircraft when it's AC seats that are bing sold?

Well it's like this, without the QK metal, those seats would NOT exist. QK and ZX feed AC revenue that might not be there. Do you think that AC would fly their own a/c into Grande Prarie or Wabush, not on your life. And why didn't AC just leave it like that to begin with (metal on metal priority)? because there were too many pilots commuting that would not get on the flights. Plus they were commuting from places that Mainline never flew into. Now as for the Thomas Cook excursion...well one is entitled to make mistakes...and I am pretty sure that it really did little to harm AC Vacations.

It really is too bad that you feel the way you do. It's wasted energy. Have a good one. :)

Good for you...glad to see you invested.

As for the pass policy, I honestly don't care as I don't travel that much. I just feel that pitting one group against the other is counter productive. I was ALWAYS in favour of a two tiered system for pass travel, one for YOUR (AC) metal and one for MINE (QK and ZX too). Why should QK have priority on QK aircraft when it's AC seats that are bing sold?

Well it's like this, without the QK metal, those seats would NOT exist. QK and ZX feed AC revenue that might not be there. Do you think that AC would fly their own a/c into Grande Prarie or Wabush, not on your life. And why didn't AC just leave it like that to begin with (metal on metal priority)? because there were too many pilots commuting that would not get on the flights. Plus they were commuting from places that Mainline never flew into. Now as for the Thomas Cook excursion...well one is entitled to make mistakes...and I am pretty sure that it really did little to harm AC Vacations.

It really is too bad that you feel the way you do. It's wasted energy. Have a good one. :)

And we have how many people commuting into Wabush and Grande Prairie? Now, Halifax, different story. Many of the routes Jazz flies USED to be mainline routes....Regina, Saskatoon, Kelowna, Quebec City, Thunder Bay, Victoria, Moncton, Fredie.........

The DC9 used to do a lot of that flying....and New Orleans, PIT, PHL, STL, MCI, IAH, etc as well.

I still think that Jazz provides a service, is not owned by AC any more, and the employees of Jazz should have pass privileges....but should NEVER bump a mainline employee of any seat on any route! Period. I know a Jazz flight attendant with a DOH of 1986...and she has the ability to bump a 330 Captain out of a seat on a mainline route! Ridiculous!

Check your hat badge! It doesn't say Air Canada! You are a separate company that is solely a service provider to Air Canada, as is Cara, as is Consolidated fuels, as is NavCanada, GTAA......etc. Those people who provide a service to the airline do not get travel benefits....and as far as I am concerned, Chorus employees, who are no longer owned by Air Canada should not get any benefits for travel unless under the reciprocal jumpseats policy. I just had the luxury of having the wife and 12 year old daughter of a Jazz mechanic bump me off a flight out of Halifax on a C1 a couple of months ago!!! That should NEVER happen....a mainline employee being bumped by a second tier carrier employee! C2 mainline, C4 for contract carriers to me is the way to go. Remember, if there was no Air Canada...there would be no Jazz! We saw how successful Chorus was outside of the guaranteed 12% profit from the CPA with the Thomas Cook contract. If this CPA goes away in 2020, so will Jazz. jazz should not get any more special consideration on Air Canada airplanes than Westjet does...it's the same percentage of ownership by AC! As far as MANY of us are concerned...these changes didn't go far enough!

As I pointed out upthread using comparisons such as yours to Cara are ridiculous. Mainline wants the pax experience on Jazz to be exactly as it would be on mainline (well, in reality its usually better). Joe Sixpack can't tell and doesn't care if the plane to YYJ is AC or Jazz, they're the same to him. HQ is saying make it transparent one hand, but on the other sending out quite a different message. Your attitude is the same old paleolithic 'tude that keeps the AC "family" squabbling while Westjet romps ahead.

Truth be told the loss of C1 for all is the worst change IMHO. Never used it to "jump" any queue but sure liked a pod going to SYD or LHR.

If I may jump in, the new policy is quite consistent with historical policy at the mainline. When AC used to have aircraft chartered by travel companies (essentially, the travel company saying "I want xx seats from YYZ to CCC on these days"... sound the same as the CPA?) AC employees were told by the company, in no uncertain terms, that these seats were not available for pass travel.

So, Jazz employees actually have an advantage over that policy in that they can still use passes both on themselves AND on the "charterer". Unfortunately, instead of considering the last number of years as a windfall, they will look at it as a loss. Reminds me of the story yesterday when the Maple Leafs were handing out hundreds of free tickets to fans at Nathan Philips Square... the story was the sour grapes of those who didn't get them because they ran out. Instead of it being a good thing, it's a bad thing.

The C1 was a sham from the beginning... a poor implementation of the system that I understand was in place at CP. In fact, props2, the new system is even better and the only fair way to implement upgrades.

The C1 was a sham from the beginning... a poor implementation of the system that I understand was in place at CP. In fact, props2, the new system is even better and the only fair way to implement upgrades.

I would prefer a C1 system that allows employee travel in J for a small fee. They can skip the whole "seniority jumping" if that what irks people.

Problem is that JAzz and AC entered into a Pass Travel Agreement in early 2012 that guaranteed the privledges that wer put in place at that time until 2020. This included reductions in privledges for some employees and the addition of the service charges that were waived in CCAA.

In a sense this is a breach of a contract as it was done with no consultation with Jazz at all. In fact we still have not received the details of the complete change.

Guest rozar s'macco

Until reading the Chorus' guys whining on here about losing priority I knew nothing of that as it wasnt mentioned in any of the company material that I saw. This new program was already a nice change but now to not get bumped by CPA/regional guys is great, regardless of how long they've been employed. Finally a decision made based on what makes sense instead of having to obey the hundreds of different rules and expectations of the "we've always done it this way" crowd. Bravo

Guest ACSideStick

Malcolm, meals in J are always based on paying customers choosing first, then various levels of upgrades next, then employees last. No employee ever takes choice of meal away from someone legitimately in J. If J is full and you're friends aren't getting their meal choice, they aren't at the top of the pecking order. (Yes, there is one)

Rozar s'macco,

Just a heads up. Jazz employees hired before 2006 are still C2's. We may not get J class with the current agreement however will still have the opportunity to keep our DOH as a C2 priority. So senior Jazz employees will still get on AC or Jazz flights using date of hire, albeit likely in the back.

For my two cents I've often wondered how Jazz on their own would do against AC and even WJ. If they up and decided to go it alone they'd be a formidable competitor I would think. Certainly more than any newcomer would be with a ready pool of qualified staff and an established infrastructure.

I'd rather they not go that route. I'd rather they stay within the AC INC umbrella with interchangeable passengers, gates, facilities, suppliers etc and to that end get treated the same as any other employee within the AC INC umbrella.

Archived