Ot: Idle No More (Except If You Were On Via)

internet

• Replies 53
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Not much talk in the press about numbers,but here is an eye opener:

"While a nation shakes it head over how $90 million in government funding to Attawapiskat over the last five years still has children living in frigid tents as winter begins its grip on the Far North, a true look at the money trail should fill those same heads with rage.

Last year alone, some $34 million was pumped into that squalid Cree community, but not much went to improve the lives of the reserve's children through housing assistance to their parents.

No, $11.2 million -- a whopping 32% of the reserve's total grants, and an even more whopping 36% of its entire expenses -- went to the salaries and benefits of band leaders, all while their peoples' children were left with Third World squalor.

There is no arguing this."

http://www.torontosu...to-attawapiskat

Once the reservations/bands leaders 'open their books for public viewing ' I will consider their plight...until then...no meetings - no deals.

When the ineffectual federal Indian beuracracy that expends hundreds of millions while bungling everything they touch is dismantled I will worry about Chief Joe hiring his brother-in-law.

Settle the land claims, then the First nations are on their own. Want to live in the middle of Buttf^%$ nowhere, pay for it yourself.

The chiefs rip off their own people and all we have done is infantalize generations of people. To the victors go the spoils, Indians were conquered by the white man, time to move on.

Distibute the money directly to each band member and have all the chiefs, directors, hangers on etc. be volunteer positions.

Make the chiefs etc. submit a request for funding for all the lavish trips they take to their band members, then we will see how things go.

Once the individuals realize how badly served they were by their own people they will know who to get angry at.

Distibute the money directly to each band member and have all the chiefs, directors, hangers on etc. be volunteer positions.

Make the chiefs etc. submit a request for funding for all the lavish trips they take to their band members, then we will see how things go.

Once the individuals realize how badly served they were by their own people they will know who to get angry at.

You mean maybe go back to the traditional way of choosing Chiefs?

It is an unspoken Commandment within the federal government. Give the elected Chiefs (under the Indian Act of 1876 as amended in 1874) as much money as they want, let them spend/keep that money however they want, and allow UNLIMITED alcohol & drugs into their jurisdiction to keep "their" people helpless and out of control.

It's no wonder that some savvy Mohawk and other types understand and take advantage of this long-held Government of Canada Policy. Some to the advantage of our First Nation; others to the advantage of themselves at an added psychological cost to our First Nation.

"and allow UNLIMITED alcohol & drugs into their jurisdiction to keep "their" people helpless and out of control."

Should read: 'and allow UNLIMITED alcohol, drugs, guns and bad food products into their jurisdiction to keep "their" people helpless, out of control and their total numbers down'.

"I 100% agree with the PM. He can't and shouldn't meet with everyone who stages a protest."

...and illegal ones at that.

Why the double standard in this Country when it comes to law enforcement?

"Police in Cornwall, Ont., closed the International Bridge for more than three hours in response to an Idle No More protest that began mid-Saturday morning. About 350 protesters crossed the bridge.The bridge reopened by 2 p.m. local time."

..i hope there were no injuries to the police trying to keep the peace by these radicals.I would like to think Shawn Atleo is trying to keep things low key, but i suspect the protests are being controlled by the Mowhawk Warriors.

I shook my head the other day walking down the strip in Las Vegas..a group of about 6-8 kids walking with beverages in hand and a cardboard sign - "Idle No More Canada" - must have been the Vegas chapter :closedeyes:

"Mowhawk Warriors"

Is that a criminal gang, or an army?

As far as I know, neither are allowed at law.

Slang term given to small grass cutting machines, shaped something like a bird belonging to the Accpitridae family, when 3 or more are connected in parallel when trimming a large lawn :/?:

Malcolm

I really do have to stop following this story. My blood pressure can't take it.

As far as her hunger strike goes , I'd like to see what's inside that tent. Probably stocked wall to wall with coke and chips smuggled in , in the dead of night. At least we didn't have to pay to fly them up to Attiwapiskat.

For those of us that have spent time flying up there and have a pretty good idea of the waste and BS it's just all more of the same s**t that's been going on forever.

, I'd like to see what's inside that tent. Probably stocked wall to wall with coke and chips smuggled in , in the dead of night.

It doesn't have to be in the tent. She regularly beetles out to a nice cushy hotel room somewhere.

The whole affair is disgusting. The problem with Attiwapiskat started decades ago when the town had to relocate due to flooding. A suitable site was determined but no, that wasn't good enough for the band council. They demanded a different site that was going to cost millions more to establish and of course, the gov't of the day caved in to their demands. We're still paying for that mistake.

Chief Clarence Louie said to their own

"'If your life sucks, it's because you suck. Quit your sniffling. Join the real world. Go to school, or get a job. Get off of welfare. Get off your butt. Our ancestors.worked for a living. So should you"

I have read about Chief Louie before. Maybe there is hope.

More...

http://wawataynews.ca/archive/all/2009/11/18/Bring-back-hard-work-Chief-Clarence-Louie_18559

Archived