Rush To Be Inducted Into Rock And Roll Hall Of Fame........

Seeker

• Replies 51
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Agreed Jeff. Besides, anyone who has survived what Neil has has earned the right to be a bit pretentious.

Very true. And I agree with DR1: the man, "the professor", is a drumming god. I've seen these guys 11 times in concert, the first time being 1992 on their Presto tour.

Great speech. If you know the band, you totally get Alex's description of the journey to the platform.

If not, it doesn't matter!!

post-5264-0-69642800-1366480075_thumb.jp

I know I really think so. It was brilliant!

Well it was original I suppose. I've heard others (video/you tube etc) where the artist actually spent some time and prepared a speech or some thoughts thanking the people who helped them along the way. I would rather have heard those words from Alex.

I thought that's exactly what he did. He just spoke in a "foreign" language. Speech is only a small part of communication. I think he communicated in an accurate, sincere, and humorous manner. It took big balls to do it, but that only epitomizes Rush and their long, long journey to the HOF.

AND it was a good balance for Neil s soliloquy! :Prayer:

I really know I shouldn't do this, but what the heck....

...also inducted to the HOF this year - Public Enemy!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=y9gVIaJX_vI

I'd be willing to bet that no-one on this forum can watch more than the first minute of the youtube video above - don't worry the last six minutes are exactly the same as the first minute!

I'm going to balance the last post with this one:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=g7tsXHkLf9w

A very interesting 8 minutes clip with the three discussing their hobbies. Neil says, towards the end, that when he gets his touring itinerary that he immediately goes straight to the days off and looks forward to planning for them! That sounds so much like a pilot - I love the job and the flying and really couldn't imagine not being a pilot but when I get my schedule I immediately look at what the layovers are and think about what to do on them.

I really know I shouldn't do this, but what the heck....

...also inducted to the HOF this year - Public Enemy!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=y9gVIaJX_vI

I'd be willing to bet that no-one on this forum can watch more than the first minute of the youtube video above - don't worry the last six minutes are exactly the same as the first minute!

Well that is a bet you would lose. Public Enemy is one of the most influential Hip Hop bands there is who count fans right across the Hip Hop and Rock spectrum. Chuck D's voice sounds pretty worked over in that Youtube clip but so many wannabes tried to imitate Chuck's deep, smooth, powerful delivery that I will forgive him for a bad night.

I get that Rap and Hip Hop may not appeal to most on the board but to deny how talented and influential this band is a fool's game.

As far as Rush goes I would rather chew tinfoil and close my eyes on pins than be subjected to 10 minutes of their catalogue (with the exception of Time Stands Still, love that song). However any interview I have ever seen with Geddy Lee has left me with the impression that he is a pretty good guy.

Congrats to Rush. Congrats to Alex as well for making it through the night without having to get tased by cops.

Well that is a bet you would lose. Public Enemy is one of the most influential Hip Hop bands there is who count fans right across the Hip Hop and Rock spectrum.

I look at their influence the same as I look at Bieber's popularity; neither factor says anything about whether the music is any good but far be it for me to pass judgement on anyone else's tastes. If you enjoy their music - good for you. They've been around long enough to qualify just on longevity I suppose. Allow me one small dig however; "Fight the power?" Repeated 300 times while fist pumping the sky with a crowd of white people in the audience? Really?

I look at their influence the same as I look at Bieber's popularity; neither factor says anything about whether the music is any good but far be it for me to pass judgement on anyone else's tastes. If you enjoy their music - good for you. They've been around long enough to qualify just on longevity I suppose. Allow me one small dig however; "Fight the power?" Repeated 300 times while fist pumping the sky with a crowd of white people in the audience? Really?

Not really sure how you can say influence and popularity are the same thing, usually there is not influence unless there is something transcendent there.

The lyrics and message to Fight The Power are pretty strong and more than just a YouTube clip. However when your frame of reference is By Tor and the Snow Dog I guess great song writing may be easy to be missed:)

Not really sure what white people in the audience has to do with anything, shows their broad appeal I guess. I suppose I could find a clip of a Rush audience but it would be nothing but white guys (no women allowed, nobody ever scored cuz the girls thought Rush was cool)

But Chock... "Song writing" is so different! That wasn't a "song" on that vid. Those guys aren't singers. They shout, in time with the music. I don't understand how it could qualify as Rock and Roll at all. It's more like angry cultural poetry. Cool, in it's own right, and certainly popular among many, but it just ain't Rock and Roll. ...and its' participants generally don't seem to have - or even need, apparently - a tenth of the talent of a lasting and successful rock band.

But Chock... "Song writing" is so different! That wasn't a "song" on that vid. Those guys aren't singers. They shout, in time with the music. I don't understand how it could qualify as Rock and Roll at all. It's more like angry cultural poetry. Cool, in it's own right, and certainly popular among many, but it just ain't Rock and Roll. ...and its' participants generally don't seem to have - or even need, apparently - a tenth of the talent of a lasting and successful rock band.

Hi Mitch

Goes to what you consider a "song". It could be argued that rock and roll songs are just "cultural poetry", with words set to music. Lots of RnR singers do not do much more that shout with the music as well.

I agree that it is not singing, it is rapping. I would also submit that rapping can require more talent than singing, depends on the singer or rapper.

The question of is it Rock and Roll? I probably would not call it Rock and Roll but does it really matter? Rock and Roll hall of fame is completely subjective, apparently Jann Wenner hated Rush which is why it took so long for them to get in. The fact is Rock and Roll was originally black music, came from the Blues and then influenced white musicians. If a bunch or Rap groups want to claim themselves as Rock and Roll, it does not bother me.

It is also a pretty broad brush to say Rap's participants don't need or have a tenth of the talent of a successful rock band. You may not like it but to call it untalented is off the mark.

I have made no secret that I think Rush is awful and that Geddy Lee sounds like he is being sodomized by a gorilla when he sings but I would not deny that they have talent.

[...] but I would not deny that they have talent.

There's our primary divergence then. The Rapper him/herself may indeed be talented in his writing.... But now, to put it to melody, write music to go along with it, and sing it nice so people will want to hear it. (often while playing one of the instruments) That's not quite the same level of skills required, is it?

Regardless of the skill level involved, lot's of people seem to like it. Like millions of people. To each their own, live and let live, and all that. But I won't listen to it. And I won't listen to Geddy Lee. Personal freedom of choice is wonderful! :)

There's our primary divergence then. The Rapper him/herself may indeed be talented in his writing.... But now, to put it to melody, write music to go along with it, and sing it nice so people will want to hear it. (often while playing one of the instruments) That's not quite the same level of skills required, is it?

I guess I would say it depends.

Frank Sinatra never wrote or arranged his own music but I would position that it did not matter. His genius exceeds a lot of singer songwriters who did all off the "skilled" work. Additionally a lot of rock and roll song writing has been collaborative with different memebers of the band contributing lyrics while one did music, etc. Sometimes the singer would just put his words over music that was already there.

Take for example the U2 song "Where the Streets Have No Name (trying to pick a song that I think most probably would have heard). All of the music came to Bono already done and all he did was write the words and insert them. Fantastic song that I don't think is minimized because he did not do all the "skilled" work.

To bring it back to Rap...

Not all rap is the same, different rythms, different plays off the beat. It is not a matter of simply speaking over music. As far as the music goes some rappers have had bands and will rap to live music but most, at least intially rap over beats and samples.

I think that is where some criticsm comes form, that these guys did not create the music that they are sampling. You won't get a big arguement from me there but it still takes talent to put it all together to make it sound like something that works. After all how many musicians have borrowed licks, sounds, techniques from the musicians that came before them.

As noted, different strokes for different folks, Rush still sucks though :)

As far as Rush goes I would rather chew tinfoil and close my eyes on pins than be subjected to 10 minutes of their catalogue...[sNIPPED] (pandering)

Welllll, that'd put Emerson, Lake & Palmer, Yes, Genesis and Jethro Tull on your hit list too, for the complexity of their music and lyrics.

You're FIRED!

Archived