Can You Say "contaminated Runway"

Slim

I have to smile every time I see something like that because as long as there are dumb ass extremely talented and daring pilots like that I will always have a job :-)

Gotta Say - anyone that has flown in the north on gravel strips in the spring has seen or done the same thing. Its not snow they are pounding thru but wet mud and slush Id say.

The old B99 would have mud flung all the way up the tail by the time it returned to base.

The key was to get that Nose Wheel Off the ground ASAP.

I think assuming that these guys are idiots as one post suggests is simply a lack of understanding how it works up north or in remote outposts.

Its not the comfy coffee and lavatory - " can you give me a RSC or RFI report please" land many of us comfortably enjoy now.

SB

AME you have done nothing more than to make yourself look both like a child and an Idiot yourself.

The feedback you received was not about "feelings" it was about speaking of the realities of departing of muddy strips in the north. In which both comments did neither to insult or demean you at all.

Your sarcastic edit - reminds me of arguing arguing with a 10yr old and is not worthy of the respect I otherwise have for others in your Profession.

SB

AME you have done nothing more than to make yourself look both like a child and an Idiot yourself.

The feedback you received was not about "feelings" it was about speaking of the realities of departing of muddy strips in the north. In which both comments did neither to insult or demean you at all.

Your sarcastic edit - reminds me of arguing arguing with a 10yr old and is not worthy of the respect I otherwise have for others in your Profession.

SB

I'm sorry you feel that way

Have a nice day

Brett

I have to confess I don't see what you're seeing as 'dumb' Brett? The guy had to get it off the ground, knew he could, and did a fine job of it - or so it looked to me? Yep, the bird took some punishment for it, but evidently, that operator needs their airplanes to do that. So yes, their maintenance guys probably get lots of work....

Anyway, from my pov, I think I'd like to have that guy up front if I was flying into some Yukgnuk Ngluck type place in spring or fall.... Looks like he can handle that machine just fine, even if his skis are round. :P

OK

Here is why I think that was dumb ass

1) the multiple prop strikes

2) the amount of FOD ingested into the engines

3) the contamination (Mud and Slush) in the gear and nacelles as well as the flaps, elevators rudder etc... (which probably frozen solid shortly after take off)

4) the damage inflicted on what appears to be a pressurized fuselage

5) the stress placed on the gear

And that was on take off???

I'd be willing to bet that almost everyone here would not take an aircraft that was subjected to even one of these and I know that damn few AME's would let one go that was (that would be an even bigger dumb ass thing to do)

The video appears to be in the spring which means that a night the ground sets up (freezes) so unless someone was dying what possible reason is there to line up that many holes?

Just my opinion

p.s. there doesn't appear to be too many hangars around there so you know that they had to have landed in the same thing

For what it's worth

I go to work each day with only one agenda and that is to do my very best to insure that the pilots flying the aircraft I service have the best possible chance of surviving the day and when I see them show that much disregard for their lives the lives of their passenger (assuming there was some) and the aircraft they command it frustrates me. So even though they may not value their own lives I do.

Brett

Well it is a Russian An-24 which is an aircraft designed for the Russian military to land and take off from UNPREPARED strips. This would mean that that type of punishment is within the limits of the airframe.

If there was a need for that plane to depart (Medivac Maybe) then that aircraft may have been selected for the role for the very reason that the runway was in bad shape. any damage to the airframe or engines is collateral and would likley be investigated sooner rather than later.

Without all the details we cannot call him or anyone else a dumb ass. I am with Mitch. he did a great job in a bad situation.

Brett;

I get you perspective of it but what that pilot was doing was not really much different from your colleagues who have to change an engine on the ramp in - 40° weather. Adapting to the environment is something we all need to do from time to time. That in itself does not make it crazy or dangerous.

Brett, Ill give you the cash to pay for the trip and cover your expenses - go spend three weeks in May or June up in any of Northern Ontario's or Northern MB gravel Strips - It will be a learning experience.

Check out...

Kasibonika

Big Trout Lake

A real Gem ... Pikangikum or Poplar Hill

Maybe a beachside stay in Sandy Lake.

Webeque always has nice sunsets...

Dude this happens every day for months every year. Its part of the territory operating on these strips.

SB

Brett, Ill give you the cash to pay for the trip and cover your expenses - go spend three weeks in May or June up in any of Northern Ontario's or Northern MB gravel Strips - It will be a learning experience.

Check out...

Kasibonika

Big Trout Lake

A real Gem ... Pikangikum or Poplar Hill

Maybe a beachside stay in Sandy Lake.

Webeque always has nice sunsets...

Dude this happens every day for months every year. Its part of the territory operating on these strips.

SB

SB, I bet we worked together - I've been to every one of those places and all the places in between too. I always seemed to get stuck in Deer Lake, 'course there it's sand, Fort hope had the mud - you wanna land to the east so you didn't have to turn around and back taxi to the ramp.

Archived