Holes In Ac's Winter Sun Destination Schedule--Lcc?

FA@AC

Routes such as YYC-HNL, YEG-CUN, YVR-VRA, YVR-CUN have been flown over the past few winters by the 3 non-XMd 763s. I can now find no nonstop AC service on those routes when I check AC's schedules online.

I'm wondering if this is a clue as to what the LCC's start-up routes will be. I haven't yet noticed reductions in mainline 319/320 schedules to the Caribbean, Mexico or Florida.

It's odd they'd take them out completely if they are to be a part of the latest lcc// "airline within an airline" scheme.

I'd have left them in the box, zero'd out any J availability, and kept selling the seats. At worse, all they'd need to do is reaccomodate customers to the other venture when plans firm up.

I wouldn't completely discount the idea that some of those routes are uneconomic under any circumstances.

Perhaps just a reflection on the travel pattern of folks from YYC. Afterall it is the HQ for a Western Carrier who also serves Hawaii nonstop on Fridays and Sundays. AC seems to have chosen to match that as their sked as to nonstop flights(I checked out Jan04 and Jan 06 ).

WJ will operate 9x weekly n/s Alberta-Hawaii throughout the winter season. There is enough fat in the sched to increase this to as many as 11x weekly.

AC is apparently discontinuing their n/s Alberta-Hawaii after the holiday season. If there are better, profitable opportunities for the aircraft that operate flights on other routes, why would they bother to continue to operate these flights?

It's no different than WJ not wasting time on MSY to maintain market share when there are other far more lucrative opportunities out there.

It's all about the Benjamins.

:Clever:

It has always seemed to me that Air Canada Vacations has never spent much energy on the Western Canada market, so I take it these cancellations are merely the continuation of a policy to cut services whenever an aircraft is needed for some more important task.

I note a milestone sneaking quietly past. The Edmonton - Cancun service was the last "Sun" flight operated from Edmonton by Air Canada. I live in Edmonton and I remember in the old days how a route cancellation by Air Canada would raise howls of protest. This one was merely mentioned quietly in a few on-line forums without any emotion. I suspect that although Edmontonians like their southern vacations as much as anyone, there are so many other options that Air Canada's fourteen flights each winter will not be missed.

With respect to the question raised by the original poster about whether or not the new Air Canada "LCC" might target these sorts of situations, I suspect not. Although some original announcements mentioned using the new LCC to re-enter markets where the current costs are too high, the most recent announcement has moved back from this. It seems the new "company" will merely take over some existing Air Canada Vacations services. Perhaps if they ever get up to fifty aircraft there will be something new, but that will be a long time from now, if ever.

The "Leisure" market continues to expand, so I can understand why Air Canada wants to find a way to catch part of it, but I don't know how successful this new venture will be. There will be new tour companies formed in Canada, and new airlines to service them. Perhaps there will be newcomers active before the new "LCC" finds its feet.

As for the Edmonton leisure market, I am afraid that it is pretty much lost to Air Canada now. This coming year I count between 900 and 1000 flights to non USA Sun destinations from here from four tour companies using four airlines. The future of Air Canada's leisure division lies with the Toronto market.

Or so it seems to me.

...provided, of course, it has a fully allocated cost structure that supports it's low fare strategy.

There's a veritable grave yard of airlines that messed up that end of the equation, be they stand alone carriers or the numerous "airline within an airline" attempts that burst out of the starting blocks with great fanfare only to be wound down a few years later in a sea of red ink.

:cool:

Guest rozar s'macco

...provided, of course, it has a fully allocated cost structure that supports it's low fare strategy.

:cool:

And since the airline isn't structured like this, it won't. Costs will reside in the mainline.

I hear that Kenneth Lay's ghost and Jeff Skilling in a jumpsuit have been hired, with Arthur Anderson on the ledgers! Oh look, Andrew Fastow's out of prison now! #dreamteam

Archived