Vacation Time!

cp fa

Just putting the finishing touches on our next travel adventure. We're planning a few days in Athens, stops in Istanbul, Dubrovnik, some Greek islands, a couple nights in Venice, finishing up with a week in Lucca, Tuscany.

We've already booked accommodation, but if anyone has any great restaurants to recommend, things to do or sights to see, I'd love to hear them.

Thanks!

Well, Istanbul is easy. The Blue Mosque, Hagia Sophia, the Grand Bazaar, all must sees, and all pretty close to one another. There are quite a few rooftop restaurants and wine cafes in that same area, overlooking the Bosfor Sea. Spectacular at sunset.

Dubrovnik you have to visit the Castle (a fort really) overlooking the town. Night visit is particularly nice. restaurants galore in the old town. Lots of bullet holes too from the fighting. Marina area is good as well. If you're flying into Dubrovnik, the ride from the airport is almost as breathtaking as the town... some pretty good cliffs and narrow road.

Have a great time.

Hi Jen,

I concur with Robert on that area of Istanbul. I've eaten at a few different places in that area and always had a very nice meal.

In Athens, there are some nice tavernas in the Plaka area just north of the Acropolis. The area of Vouliagmeni to the south of the city is also filled with great places to dine and there are some pretty nice hotels in that area as well.

While on a layover in Venice, we always stayed in Mestre near the Venezia Mestre train station. From there you can have easy access by train to the city proper and the rooms are a good bit cheaper. If you eat in Venice, expect to pay the tourist premium for average food, but a cappuccino along the canal near Piazza San Marco is a must. Being crew on per diem, we used to dine in the town of Mestre about 15 minutes walk from the hotel and we found better food at more reasonable prices. While in Venice, I would recommend a trip to the Murano island to glass works. It's pretty amazing and a great place to find a nice souvenir of your stay.

Enjoy!

Thanks so much guys! I've read all the guidebooks and googled like crazy, but it's always great to get personal input here.

We're kind of adventurous foodies, so usually our day trips are planned around the perfect lunch. Any particular memorable local dishes that you would recommend we try, especially in Istanbul or Dubrovnik? Like I said, we're pretty adventurous, but no guts please. ; )

Just putting the finishing touches on our next travel adventure. We're planning a few days in Athens, stops in Istanbul, Dubrovnik, some Greek islands, a couple nights in Venice, finishing up with a week in Lucca, Tuscany.

We've already booked accommodation, but if anyone has any great restaurants to recommend, things to do or sights to see, I'd love to hear them.

Thanks!

Sounds like a great plan! Can we go with you?

Time permitting, try to make your way over to Florence and Sienna while in Tuscany. Not far away is Montalcino for some of the best red wine in Italy. Brunello......now one of my favorite words.

Have fun and report back all the details.

Thanks!

We've been to Florence before, but not Sienna. We're planning to see Sienna this time, but I'd also like to go back to Florence, as well as a day trip out to the coast to revisit Cinque Terre, one of my favorite places in the world.

Other than, we plan to put our feet up on the rooftop terrace of our apartment, and enjoy some of that wonderful brunello.

And also, thank you Dena for the email!

Not sure on when you are going, but presently there are quite a few forest fires burning in SE Europe.Chios Island (Greek Island just off the coast near Izmir), Croatia (near Trogrir and Split),and Tuscany (Marina di Grosseto) are all hit badly.

Hi Jenn.....

No matter what....enjoy each day...... and you know that comes from the heart.....watch each sunrise and enjoy the sunsets...each one is one less that you will ever see. From out here on the bow, with a cold glass of Green Apple Mist, and the love of my life.

PS....the "other" forum?..not even the courtesy of a reply

Kip, you are such a romantic devil! :wub:

We will certainly take your advice and enjoy every moment.

Nice to see that you and Di have had such a nice summer on the water, hopefully there will still be a few more weeks of this beautiful weather.

Take care. xoxoxo

Archived