New Ac Vp

GDR

Senior Harper aide named to Air Canada post

Thursday, July 19, 2012

btn_print.gif

MONTREAL — Air Canada says a senior aide to Prime Minister Stephen Harper will become the airline’s vice-president for corporate strategy and government affairs, starting in September.

Derek Vanstone is currently Harper’s deputy chief of staff and was previously chief of staff to Finance Minister Jim Flaherty from 2007 to 2010.

He previously practiced law in Toronto with the firm Gowling Lafleur Henderson.

Air Canada says Mr. Vanstone will have responsibility for its relationships with all levels of government as well as community and industry affairs.

The appointment is scheduled to take effect Sept. 10, subject to approval from the federal commissioner overseeing conflicts of interest and ethics.

“I am pleased to announce Derek’s appointment to this key corporate strategy, industry and government affairs role,” said Air Canada chief executive officer Calin Rovinescu said in a statement.

“His solid experience and track record in the private sector and at the highest levels of government will further strengthen the management team’s ability to execute our corporate priorities.”

Mr. Vanstone will fill a role currently performed by Duncan Dee, who is taking early retirement. His departure, following 15 years with the airline, was announced on June 6.

Mr. Dee has been Air Canada’s chief operating officer, a position that’s often seen as second-in-command to the CEO and a potential successor to whoever is the chief executive.

Why not?

The Government is already so far up AC's *** that it makes perfect sense.

You have no idea how involved the Harperites are on the AC file. I am certain that it is discussed weekly if not daily by the cabinet and the PMO.

Well, this could be an indication of what is to come at AC with it's new VP.

With the way the PMO is run, hard to imagine they aren't all of the same fold.....

http://www.thestar.com/news/canada/article/1232885--former-adviser-to-stephen-harper-charged-with-fraud

OTTAWA—The RCMP have charged Bruce Carson, a former senior adviser to the prime minister, with influence peddling.

The Mounties say Carson is alleged to have accepted a commission for a third party in connection with a business matter relating to the government.

Well, this could be an indication of what is to come at AC with it's new VP.

With the way the PMO is run, hard to imagine they aren't all of the same fold.....

http://www.thestar.c...rged-with-fraud

OTTAWA—The RCMP have charged Bruce Carson, a former senior adviser to the prime minister, with influence peddling.

The Mounties say Carson is alleged to have accepted a commission for a third party in connection with a business matter relating to the government.

I don't see any relationship whatsoever. In fact, I think the insinuation is ridiculous. Carson's proclivities, which include strippers, have been well documented and broadcast all over the universe for the last 2-3 years. It was the PMO, in fact, that blew the whistle on him.

God knows - as most of the people here do - that I wouldn't get caught dead voting Conservative federally, but I do respect the fact that the PMO has many extremely talented/intelligent people. That one bad apple in all these years has attracted so much adverse publicity doesn't make them all bad or shady or inter-related.

Archived