More Lost Revenue....

conehead

I can pose no definite explanation for the difference except for the anecdotal evidence provided. Frankly it does upset me. I speaking with all of the guy I went south with each one had exactly the same experience. Our mileage was far better in the US.

• Replies 98
  • Created
  • Last Reply

J.O.

Full tank to full tank comparison shows that the gas mileage achieved is far better in the US than in Canada. No specific fuel stations just Gas when gas was needed. There is no math as I never quoted MPG ot L/100Km or the like. I stated a full tank of US gas carried me damn near 300Km and that same tank barely made it past 200Km when filled with Canadian gas. Can I adequately explain it? No I cant other than the formulations and additives are different. Both fuels were 87 octane regular gas.

My US gallon quip was supposed to be a joke. Sorry that it seems to have gone over a few heads. Regardless of the units of measure, your fuel mileage (or "kilometrage") is what it is, so long as you use consistent units of measurement.

ALL THINGS BEING EQUAL.

That means everything is the same except the gas. Since I do not have a fuel gauge on the bike I must Fill the tank at every stop so as a result I see exactly ho far I go on every tank. When I hit reserve its time for fuel. Pretty simple really. The only difference between my trip south and the riding in Canada is the fuel itself.

I can only surmise that the fuel additives like MTBE and other such complex compounds make the US fuel "better" and its far cheaper to boot.

That is all VERY dependent upon where you purchase your fuel. The ethanol content significantly reduces the effectiveness of combustion and decreases mpg. In Florida---especially SE---they "boost" the ethanol content. I can count on getting about 1/3rd less mileage out of that tank than I get from the next tank further north.

In Ontario, not all fuel suppliers add ethanol. Where I live, I get unadulterated fuel and hence much better fuel economy.

http://www.theglobea...article4197860/

Also, regarding "unadulterated" gasoline in Ontario, is there any?

Regulation 535/05

Ontario Regulation 535/05: Ethanol in Gasoline (made under the Environmental Protection Act) requires fuel suppliers to ensure an annual average of five per cent ethanol in their gasoline.

This regulation came into effect in 2007 and is a component of Ontario's work to improve the province's air quality and combat climate change. It also helps to reduce our dependency on non-renewable fossil fuels.

If we were to use Boestar's motorcycle tank efficiency example, one can assume he'll burn 'X' amount more Canadian gas than American to complete the same trip; so, how exactly does 5% ethanol improve air quality?

As far as reducing dependancy on fossil fuels goes; there are more vehicles being added to the road everyday, which only increases said dependancy and if I'm correct above, the situation only gets worse when ethanol is added?

http://www.theglobea...article4197860/

Also, regarding "unadulterated" gasoline in Ontario, is there any?

Regulation 535/05

Ontario Regulation 535/05: Ethanol in Gasoline (made under the Environmental Protection Act) requires fuel suppliers to ensure an annual average of five per cent ethanol in their gasoline.

This regulation came into effect in 2007 and is a component of Ontario's work to improve the province's air quality and combat climate change. It also helps to reduce our dependency on non-renewable fossil fuels.

Moeman...

It is my understanding that the ethanol is added to the gasoline delivered by the refinery. If your fuel is purchased upstream of the "mixer", you get ethanol free-fuel.

I acknowledge that it is not widely available and it isn't advertised.

In the US, boaters go to great lengths to purchase ethanol-free gasoline and pay a significant premium.

It is my understanding that the ethanol is added to the gasoline delivered by the refinery. If your fuel is purchased upstream of the "mixer", you get ethanol free-fuel.

Sounds like that oil companies need to add Ethanol content to the Octane rating info.

In Ontario the only completely Ethanol free fuel I know of is Shell V-Power Premium Gas. The effectivness does not outweigh the 10+ cent premium on the fuel. Especially in an engine with an 8:1 compression ratio.

Emptied another tank today and the mileage holds true to canadian gas. I may well try some V-Power ethanol free just for shits and giggles. I will let you know the results

Date: 25 April, 2012 12:56:58 PM EDT

Subject: FW: Contact Us:Other

Good afternoon,

Thank you for contacting Petro-Canada Customer Service online.

Ethanol is only present in Petro-Canada Regular Clean 87 Octane (10%) and Plus Clean 89 Octane (5%). Petro-Canada SuperClean 91 Octane gasoline does not contain any Ethanol.

Ethanol content in SuperClean 94 or Ultra 94 is 10%.

For information on Petro-Canada's fuel, please click on the link below:

http://retail.petro-...avings/139.aspx

Because of the two offerings we have out in the market place, Sunoco stations that were converted to Petro-Canada branded sites, sell Ultra 94 which means all grades of gasoline have a maximum of 10% ethanol in the 4 grades of fuel (RegularClean 87, PlusClean 89, SuperClean 91 and Ultra 94).

At the existing Petro-Canada stations, only 3 grades of fuel are available (RegularClean 87, PlusClean 89, SuperClean 91). At these sites the only fuel that does not contain ethanol is the SuperClean 91.

However we are now adding Ultra 94 to a lot of these sites where it was never sold.

Please be aware that only sites that do not sell Ultra 94, will the SuperClean 91 have no ethanol in the fuel. RegularClean 87 and PlusClean 89 will contain ethanol.

Best regards,

Suncor Energy Products Partnership

Customer Relations

Phone ~ 1-800-668-0220

Fax ~ 1-800-837-1228

Email ~ custsvs@suncor.com

Boestar.... forgive the irony in "my 2 cents", but forget the pennies, look after the dollars. Treat the machine well, change the oil regularly, and don't buy garbage fuel. ....I'm a really bad money guy.... I buy nothing but premium fuel for my little g35 (as directed), and I never even look at the price I'm paying. I need gas, I buy gas. ....sometimes I'll think, "Krikey that's a lot of money!" when I see the total, but I know it's just what it costs, so why squawk?.... I guess I reckon I ask so much from that little engine, the least I can do is feed her good food.

I am with you mitch. She gets nothing but synthetic oil but the only fuel required of the low compression engine is 87. I do not realize any gain in using more expensive gas as it is not a high performance machine. As for your G, thats a high compression performance engine and it needs the octane so as not to explode. My Wifes Saab is a Turbo and requires the expensive stuff as well. As for theoil change in her car...OUCH...only 1 approved oil and almost 7 quarts at $12 a quart.

UD thanks for that. I hadn't noticed that the 91 was ethanol free. The petro I usually use sells the 94 which is clearly marked as 10% so I assumed the 91 was also. This is good to know as the wifes car needs the 91 anyhow and I prefer the ethanol free if its available.

As I said above the 87 octane is all thats required of my bike as there is almost zero risk of detonation with an 8:1 compression ratio.

This weekend I rode the highway to Niagara falls and back (same routing as the last stretch of our trip to the us. Mileage was in line with my observations. So again All things being equal Canadian Gas is not as good as US gas.

"Lidinsky suggested last year that he was sympathetic to the concerns of American port authorities.

While Canadian and Mexican ports are free to compete with their U.S. counterparts for cargo, he said, "they should do so on a playing field that is not artificially tilted by governments' policies.""

Why isn't the same type of thinking applied to the airline sector?

Archived