More Lost Revenue....

conehead

Alaska Airlines Adds Seasonal Service Between Maui and Bellingham, Wash.

Written by ALASKA AIRLINES

Wednesday, 27 June 2012

Northwest residents from Vancouver, British Columbia, to Seattle will have more options to escape the rain starting Nov. 8 when Alaska Airlines launches new seasonal service between Bellingham, Wash., and Maui. To introduce the four weekly flights, the carrier is offering low introductory one-way fares from $179* for tickets purchased by July 3 for travel Nov. 8 to Dec. 24, 2012.

Tickets are available for purchase today on www.alaskaair.com or by calling 1-800-AlaskaAir (800-252-7522 or TTY/TDD line 800-392-0228).

"Our growing service out of Bellingham gives customers across Western Washington and Southern British Columbia more ways to reach sunny Hawaii," said Joe Sprague, Alaska Airlines' vice president of marketing. "With Alaska Airlines' great low fares, no charge for a carry-on bag and award-winning service, travelers can enjoy peace of mind that they're getting the best value and service for their money."

Sprague said British Columbia residents can save even more money flying out of Bellingham International Airport, located 22 miles south of the Canadian border, thanks to lower government taxes and airport fees.

Alaska Airlines' unique service offers many benefits for customers including:

* Free carry-on bags

* Free advance seat selection

* First class seating

* Complimentary inflight water, soft drinks, coffee and tea

* Complimentary Mai Tai or passion-orange-guava blend juice on flights to Hawaii

* An award-winning frequent flier program. Alaska Airlines Mileage Plan members earn 5,362 miles flying between Bellingham and Maui, which are good for travel on 15 airline partners to more than 700 destinations worldwide .

"We are extremely pleased that Alaska Airlines is expanding its service to offer flights from Bellingham to Kahului, Maui," said Mike McCartney, president and CEO of the Hawaii Tourism Authority. "These flights are perfectly timed to give visitors more time to enjoy Maui's people, place and culture. The new route provides visitors from the Northwest with increased ease of access to visit the Hawaiian Islands while also boosting Maui's economy and distributing the benefits of tourism across our state. We estimate the flights will provide $16 million in visitor spending and $1.7 million in tax revenue annually."

In addition to low fares, Alaska Airlines Vacations is offering Hawaii vacation packages starting at $575**, which includes airfare and three nights' hotel stay at Aston at the Maui Banyan. Vacation packages must be booked by July 3 and travel completed between Nov. 8 and Dec. 17, 2012. Visit www.alaskaair.com/vacations or call 1-800-468-2248 for further details.

Alaska Airlines' Maui flights will be operated with Boeing 737-800 aircraft, accommodating 16 passengers in first class and 141 in the main cabin. All flights offer Alaska's Northern Bites® meal service, which provides passengers in the main cabin with a hot meal for $6 or a cheese and fruit platter for $7. The flights also offer Alaska's inflight entertainment system, a handheld video-on-demand device featuring more than 70 hit movies, along with television programs and other entertainment. The inflight entertainment players are complimentary in first class and available for $10 in the main cabin.

Alaska Airlines currently flies from Bellingham to Honolulu, Las Vegas and Seattle, and offers one daily flight to Portland, Ore., through Aug. 25.

• Replies 98
  • Created
  • Last Reply

On Alaska's new service out of BLI to OGG, the base fare is $159 and the all in fare with one checked bag would be $198.20.

On the base fare out of YVR, the US Government charges Canadians $36.04 to pre-clear air passengers. They charge absolutely nothing to walk/drive across, or take a train, boat or bus across.

YVR's AIF is $20, tiny Bellingham, with a fraction of the passengers YVR generates and even after a $27m runway expansion to handle 757's, is $4.50.

The US security fee is $2.50 per enplanement, to a max of $5 one way. On YVR-OGG, it's $12.10 one way.

In order to match the $159 fare offered by the poachers across the border, airlines in Canada would have to offer YVR-OGG for about $110 + all the taxes.

In essence, at these prices, the US Government is underwriting the US airline industry to the tune of about $50 on a one-way outbound ticket, allowing them to poach Canadian passengers at will.

This is an issue the GoC needs to deal with.

At $110 for a 2,650 mile sector, or about 4.2 cents a mile, (when the US carriers offering the same fare keep 6 cents a mile or about 43% more,) the GoC might as well kiss the Canadian airline industry goodbye and underwrite the construction of a Canada-wide network of airports located as close as possible to the south side of US border.......

:Furious:

"In essence, at these prices, the US Government is underwriting the US airline"

Or the Cdn gov is a participant gouger of the Canadian air traveller? If the 'authorities' can't or don't act, perhaps competition will ultimately force taxes and fee prices down?

I'm at the point where I honestly don't care anymore. I say go ahead - cross the border and fly on an American carrier and then when you return from Hawaii buy a bunch of cheap chinese crap from Walmart and smuggle it across the border, fill your gas tank, buy some new tires and get a couple of bottles of cheap vodka too. The chickens will come home to roost but most people are too stupid to know the difference anyway so it doesn't matter.

I apologise for being slightly OT but I'm always amazed that the people that are inconvenienced the most from conservative government tactics are typically the ones that voted them in. Over the years I've noticed an extremely high percentage of airline industry staff towing the pro-conservitive right wing line. Some of these same people are also the ones having their collective bargaining rights decimated by Lisa Raitt. Strange to say the least...

I'm at the point where I honestly don't care anymore. I say go ahead - cross the border and fly on an American carrier and then when you return from Hawaii buy a bunch of cheap chinese crap from Walmart and smuggle it across the border, fill your gas tank, buy some new tires and get a couple of bottles of cheap vodka too. The chickens will come home to roost but most people are too stupid to know the difference anyway so it doesn't matter.

We all might be stupid - but I'm going to have more $$$ in my pocket then you - so who's the stupid one.

But I think Bean's point is - that the US government is either a) penalizing Canadians flying to the US out of Canadian airports, or B) subsidizing those who chose to depart US border airports. Either way, the competitiveness of Canadian airports is being impacted by the US government (among many other reasons)

As an airline employee I don't like that my airline is losing business to an American carrier but I certainly don't begrudge them for saving money by doing it.

I apologise for being slightly OT but I'm always amazed that the people that are inconvenienced the most from conservative government tactics are typically the ones that voted them in. Over the years I've noticed an extremely high percentage of airline industry staff towing the pro-conservitive right wing line. Some of these same people are also the ones having their collective bargaining rights decimated by Lisa Raitt. Strange to say the least...

This issue transcends the current Conservative gov't. It has been going on for years, regardless of who's been in power.

If the C$ was where it was 10 years ago, it wouldn't be an issue.

We all might be stupid - but I'm going to have more $$$ in my pocket then you - so who's the stupid one.

Only until enough off-shore spending takes out your job too. Then who will be the stupid one? :glare:

And here in Ontario, wannabe's are hoping to make this situation even worse by turning us into a 'Right to Work' province...

http://www.thestar.com/news/canada/politics/article/1217880--tim-hudak-urges-sweeping-changes-to-strip-unions-of-power-help-business-create-jobs

Oshawa will be the next Stockton.

http://www.thestar.com/news/world/article/1217862--stockton-bankruptcy-biggest-u-s-city-to-file-for-bankruptcy-faces-26m-budget-deficit

And they're just the tip of the iceberg.

So if our current regime keeps this up, then it will happen sooner than later that we end up where the U.S. is going.

Are we forgetting Colenette who screwed up the aviation industry in Canada in the 1990's and his predesessors who introduced the fees. As per my previous rant a few weeks ago..... the airline pax/sector pays for railway security, port security and so on. TC use this as a cash cow. The Harper government is more than aware of the issues but with few alternatives that don't annoy our Quebec friends...... at the moment they are stuck because we as an industry are not mad enough to do something about it.

What about a national don't fly day with all carriers participating? Refusing to pay AIF's only annoys the local authorities and TC can wash their hands on that. Maybe the local airpport authorities refuse as a national council to pass on fees to TC and the carriers refuse to pay Nav Canada for a chosen week.

Something that raises the issue above useless whining. The government has held our heads in the toilet bowl for 20+ years and we took it!

Maybe we need an airline industry SPRING !!!!! IMHO :Tantrum:

Why not just stop paying rent? What are they going to do? Evict them? Double edged sword I think. They leglislate every one to work because you are essential so if you decide not to pay rent do they ground you? I would think NO.

Why not just stop paying rent? What are they going to do? Evict them? Double edged sword I think. They leglislate every one to work because you are essential so if you decide not to pay rent do they ground you? I would think NO.

Maybe they nationalize you... lol

All laughing aside, some airlines are closer to the politicians then others. I suspect that although the airlines want lower fees, they will not take action. If they wanted to, they probably could. They are practically oligopolies so with such a large influence over the market, they can probably get away with more then most imagine.

Some of you don't understand the difference between what your definition of "right" is and what is fact. Ok, so it might not be "right" that work is being sent to cheaper places outside of Canada. But the "fact" is work is being sent because it's cheaper. Why Costco is packed on Saturday and Holt Renfrew isn't.

Over half of US States are right-to-work. It may not be "right" but it's a "fact.". Arguing and being dismissive of "fact" is like yelling at the rain. There is nothing you can do about it. So either grab the umbrella or get wet.

Ontario PCs are starting a conversation that will be had sooner or later in almost every province (less PQ, they'll just burn the place down). It's a responsible thing for the PCs to do and exactly what the system is designed to do.

It's a big world now and the sooner you understand the "fact" your labour is a commodity and not a "right" the sooner you will be dry.

Some of you don't understand the difference between what your definition of "right" is and what is fact. Ok, so it might not be "right" that work is being sent to cheaper places outside of Canada. But the "fact" is work is being sent because it's cheaper. Why Costco is packed on Saturday and Holt Renfrew isn't.

Over half of US States are right-to-work. It may not be "right" but it's a "fact.". Arguing and being dismissive of "fact" is like yelling at the rain. There is nothing you can do about it. So either grab the umbrella or get wet.

Ontario PCs are starting a conversation that will be had sooner or later in almost every province (less PQ, they'll just burn the place down). It's a responsible thing for the PCs to do and exactly what the system is designed to do.

It's a big world now and the sooner you understand the "fact" your labour is a commodity and not a "right" the sooner you will be dry.

There's a fine line between facts and opinions and public opinion is swaying - slowly but surely. It's later than it should be, but people are finally seeing that corporate greed and globalization are little more than fool's gold and that the voices of people who aren't rich and powerful need to be heard by the leaders who are supposed to represent all of the people, not just those with the cash to buy their votes. I'm not sure that Tim Hudak will speak for them.

You still haven't answered how you would feel if your income was taken away by cheaper off-shore labour. Maybe you should spend some time having to choose between food and shelter for your kids like some Canadians are having to do since their industries have been decimated by the lies of free trade and globalization. They loyally went to work every day for years and did their part but it didn't matter when the shareholders wanted to buy that bigger boat.

Beside the fact that I am fundamentally opposed to cross border shopping, I don't live near the USA and it wouldn't be practical or cost effective to drive that far to shop. I'm also tired of subsidizing the benefits such as roads and health care that cross-border shoppers utilize but pay less for when they spend their money in the USA. I'd rather stand and fight for my Canadian friends and neighbours than turn into a country where we'd rather spend our money on cheap Chinese crap sold by part-time workers who haven't got the cash to see a doctor.

Your Canadian friends and neighbors are ripping you off. Why would I pay $70 for a toy I can ship to the border for $40. Because its the "right" thing to do?

Please. Have the Canadian "friend" sell it to me for $45 and we'll talk

Morally bankrupt? Is that "fact" or are you just "right"

See. It's all opinions.

Nope.. not fact, just my opinion. My morals are different than some other people's. I am very happy with the fact that you and I can state our different opinions on an internet forum, and not have to fear any reprisals from authorities. We don't have to worry about the Police intercepting our email because we state a different opinion from "the Harper Government". Or do we? I would like to protect our freedom, and the ability to take political action to do so. You probably feel the same.

You and I obviously have different political ideals.... and that's ok. As long as we can discuss them, and recognize that opinions are not facts.

Your Canadian friends and neighbors are ripping you off. Why would I pay $70 for a toy I can ship to the border for $40. Because its the "right" thing to do?

Please. Have the Canadian "friend" sell it to me for $45 and we'll talk

And still (not surprisingly) you dodge the basic fundamental question, which is, what are YOU willing to sacrifice so that the next cheapo consumer can save a few bucks? What do you do for a living? Are you the lowest paid in your line of work? Because if you're not, you're ripping off your friends and neighbours. So be a good sport and tell your boss that next week's pay can be 40% less, for the good of everyone.

Since you're so convinced that cheaper is always better, the next time someone you care about needs major surgery or is diagnosed with cancer, dig out your chequebook and start writing a whack of zeros in the amount column, because the slippery slope you would take us down has no money for health care. And don't forget to tell your kids that their future includes living in a rented home that's falling apart, right next to the drug dealers and prostitutes. Remind them that there's no shame in having to choose between tonight's dinner and watching the cartoons on Saturday morning, since they won't have the money to afford food for their kids and pay the electric bill.

On Alaska's new service out of BLI to OGG, the base fare is $159 and the all in fare with one checked bag would be $198.20.

On the base fare out of YVR, the US Government charges Canadians $36.04 to pre-clear air passengers. They charge absolutely nothing to walk/drive across, or take a train, boat or bus across.

YVR's AIF is $20, tiny Bellingham, with a fraction of the passengers YVR generates and even after a $27m runway expansion to handle 757's, is $4.50.

The US security fee is $2.50 per enplanement, to a max of $5 one way. On YVR-OGG, it's $12.10 one way.

In order to match the $159 fare offered by the poachers across the border, airlines in Canada would have to offer YVR-OGG for about $110 + all the taxes.

In essence, at these prices, the US Government is underwriting the US airline industry to the tune of about $50 on a one-way outbound ticket, allowing them to poach Canadian passengers at will.

At $110 for a 2,650 mile sector, or about 4.2 cents a mile, (when the US carriers offering the same fare keep 6 cents a mile or about 43% more,) the GoC might as well kiss the Canadian airline industry goodbye and underwrite the construction of a Canada-wide network of airports located as close as possible to the south side of US border.......

All else being equal, let's not forget the 1:50 vs 1:40 Flight Attendant/passenger ratio advantage that the US carriers enjoy. All adds up

Allowing is a verb.

allowing - Verb:

• Admit (an event or activity) as legal or acceptable.
  • Give (someone) permission to do something.

Much like the Porter docket fiasco where many of you were confident that a proxy war between two foreign airlines over a commuter airport in a foreign land would weigh heavily on their decision, it is pretty ridiculous to believe that the American regulators care or much less are even aware of the circumstances surrounding the user fees of Canadian airports. They have their policy, we have ours. Ours is stupid.

Archived