Yyz Mayday

• Replies 93
  • Created
  • Last Reply

We're both correct. I had #2 on 505 light up on pushback off Gt 89 and the flames licked up the tail to the top of the fin. Quite impressive. Maybe the same incident?

305 was converted to all economy and used to be flogged overseas in the summer and down south in the winter. Used to do flt 862 departing at 10pm. Just dark enough for the torching to be impressive!

Ahhh, the memories......

Here are some pics of the damage done to the #2 engine on flight 001 that day.

I have the photos as well, what I found disturbing was the ones where it shows that it was un-contained and exited through the side of the case. Could have been a much larger issue, thank goodness it was not!

Good Morning Bo

I know, and I am not arguing that point with you.

I am letting you know that fin 305 used to do the same thing.

Can't you accept that?

DC8's used to be pretty spectacular with wetstarts as well.

Were you around for those too?

Robert;

Re, "what I found disturbing was the ones where it shows that it was un-contained and exited through the side of the case. Could have been a much larger issue,"

Yes, as with the RR Trent 972's explosion of the turbine section on QF32. The cause of this event are likely not the same as the Trent disintegration but shrapnel going through the side means it can also go upwards, through the wing...(Crikey - Ben Sandilands' site has some good graphics).

Don

Robert;

Re, "what I found disturbing was the ones where it shows that it was un-contained and exited through the side of the case. Could have been a much larger issue,"

Yes, as with the RR Trent 972's explosion of the turbine section on QF32. The cause of this event are likely not the same as the Trent disintegration but shrapnel going through the side means it can also go upwards, through the wing...(Crikey - Ben Sandilands' site has some good graphics).

Don

Don,

exactly my thoughts

My understanding is that the case was compromised but that the cowling prevented any outward migrations. Does the B777 cowling have a Kevlar liner?

JO

the kevlar blanket is around the fan section in case of fan separation.

De-Icer: I was around for the DC-8s. That is where my Career started. Cant say I miss the old birds much though. Never got to work on the Conway engines but did mess with the Pratts and Cfms though. That was the original Fly By Wire aircraft (7x19 wire that is)

The Conways must have been the loudest engine this side of a Saturn V. It was a full-throttle engine - the takeoff EPR was usually around 2.4, which gave about 17,500lbs of thrust. On a cold day (-20C) the exhaust noise crackled. The 2-engine (out on one side) go-around minimum control speed was 230kts on a cold day.

Back on topic; it was un-contained, and there was shrapnel damage to the flaps.

From part migration through the case, or parts that came out the exhaust? There is a difference.

Uncontained would mean that the parts migrated THROUGH the casing and into adjacent structure. Since the flaps are behind the engine for the most part is it possible that the ejected material was through the exhaust and not the case? Was there shrapnel damage to the cowlings? was the duct punctured?

I just got the same series in my inbox at work. It looks like there was some loss of containment but nothing horrifying. The rear end on the other hand is a complete mess.

• 1 year later...

TSB final report:

Findings as to causes and contributing factors
  1. During shroud production, a change to a higher-intensity laser resulted in a variation in the shape and size of the shroud cooling holes. Over a period of time in service, these cooling holes eroded, which resulted in both degraded shroud cooling and a super-heated zone. This, in turn, increased the rate of erosion until the shroud integrity was reduced to the point of failure.
  2. Damage to high-pressure turbine shrouds and hangers, which was likely present during the last borescope inspection, went undetected prior to the occurrence. As a result, the engine was not removed from service.
  3. The number 2 engine shut down during the initial climb-out due to a failure of the high-pressure turbine stage 1 shroud.

http://www.tsb.gc.ca/eng/rapports-reports/aviation/2012/a12o0074/a12o0074.asp

Archived