Now Making The Rounds...

DEFCON

Subject: Well Spoken

This was just to me. It is well written, for sure. Lots of emotion. Got to

wonder how many of us have that same sentiment ....? My guess is ......

ALL!!!! Pass it on

By -------

I am an army of One - A Captain in the Air Canada army.

For years I was a loyal soldier in Air Canada army. Use to fight for the

big red - Now I fight my own war.

I used to feel valued and respected. Now I know I am mere fodder.

They used to exhibit labour leadership. Now they exploit legal loopholes.

They used to enjoy my maximum. Now they will suffer my minimum.

I am an army of One.

I used to save Air Canada a thousand pounds of fuel per leg; finding the

best altitude, getting direct routing, throttling back when on-time was

made, skimping during ground ops, adjusting for winds, being smart and

giving the company every effort I could conjure. Now, it's "burn baby,

burn!".

I used to call maintenance while airborne, so the part would be ready at

the gate. Now, they'll find the write-up when they look in the book.

I used to try to fix problems in the system, now I sit and watch as the

miscues pile up.

I used to fly sick. Now I use my sick days, on short notice, on the worst

day of the month.

I am an army of One.

I used to start the air conditioning at the last possible moment. Now my

customers enjoy extreme comfort.

I used to let the price of fuel affect my fuel loads. I still do.

I used to cover mistakes by operations. Now I watch them unfold.

I used to hustle to ensure an on-time arrival, to make us the best. Now I

don't share my success.

I used to call dispatch for rerouting, to head off ground delays for bad

weather. Now I collect paid minutes, number 35 in line for takeoff.

I am on a new mission - to demonstrate that misguided leadership of

indifference and disrespect has a cost. It's about character, not contracts.

It's about leading by taking care of your people instead of leadership by

bean counters (an oxymoron). With acts of omission, not commission, I am a

one-man wrecking crew - an army of One. My mission used to be to make Air

Canada rich. Now it's to make Air Canada pay.

When they manipulate summer vacation to save their understaffed airline - I

will make them pay

When they force my FO to sit in economy while deadheading with Jazz pilots

sitting in first class- I will make them pay

When they provide me with a sub-standard hotel for me to rest- I will make

them pay.

When over-booked customers are denied boarding system wide because of their

lack of planning - I will make them pay.

When they force pilots, who have waited 12 years to become Captains, to be

FOs again - I will make them pay.

When they try to manipulate my schedule to fix their lack of planning - I

will make them pay.

When they trick my FO into flying over his duty day - I will make them pay

When the CEO reveives his 5 million dollars bonus on April 1st while I am

still 20% below - I will make them pay

When they constantly violate the letter and spirit of our contract - a

contract that's a bargain by any measure, and force us to fight lengthy

grievances - I will make them pay.

My negotiating committee

speaks for me, but I act on my own. I am a walking nightmare to the bean

counters that made me. Are you listening? This mercenary has a lot of years

left with this company; how long can you afford to keep me bitter?

I'm not looking for clauses in a contract, I'm looking for a culture of

commitment and caring. When I see it, I'll be a soldier for Air Canada

again. Until then, I am an Army of One.And I'm not alone!

Thanks, I just hope we never see management to make me be like that! It's too bad that has happened.

Subject: Well Spoken

This was just to me. It is well written, for sure. Lots of emotion. Got to

wonder how many of us have that same sentiment ....? My guess is ......

ALL!!!! Pass it on

By -------

I am an army of One - A Captain in the Air Canada army.

For years I was a loyal soldier in Air Canada army. Use to fight for the

big red - Now I fight my own war.

I used to feel valued and respected. Now I know I am mere fodder.

They used to exhibit labour leadership. Now they exploit legal loopholes.

They used to enjoy my maximum. Now they will suffer my minimum.

I am an army of One.

I used to save Air Canada a thousand pounds of fuel per leg; finding the

best altitude, getting direct routing, throttling back when on-time was

made, skimping during ground ops, adjusting for winds, being smart and

giving the company every effort I could conjure. Now, it's "burn baby,

burn!".

I used to call maintenance while airborne, so the part would be ready at

the gate. Now, they'll find the write-up when they look in the book.

I used to try to fix problems in the system, now I sit and watch as the

miscues pile up.

I used to fly sick. Now I use my sick days, on short notice, on the worst

day of the month.

I am an army of One.

I used to start the air conditioning at the last possible moment. Now my

customers enjoy extreme comfort.

I used to let the price of fuel affect my fuel loads. I still do.

I used to cover mistakes by operations. Now I watch them unfold.

I used to hustle to ensure an on-time arrival, to make us the best. Now I

don't share my success.

I used to call dispatch for rerouting, to head off ground delays for bad

weather. Now I collect paid minutes, number 35 in line for takeoff.

I am on a new mission - to demonstrate that misguided leadership of

indifference and disrespect has a cost. It's about character, not contracts.

It's about leading by taking care of your people instead of leadership by

bean counters (an oxymoron). With acts of omission, not commission, I am a

one-man wrecking crew - an army of One. My mission used to be to make Air

Canada rich. Now it's to make Air Canada pay.

When they manipulate summer vacation to save their understaffed airline - I

will make them pay

When they force my FO to sit in economy while deadheading with Jazz pilots

sitting in first class- I will make them pay

When they provide me with a sub-standard hotel for me to rest- I will make

them pay.

When over-booked customers are denied boarding system wide because of their

lack of planning - I will make them pay.

When they force pilots, who have waited 12 years to become Captains, to be

FOs again - I will make them pay.

When they try to manipulate my schedule to fix their lack of planning - I

will make them pay.

When they trick my FO into flying over his duty day - I will make them pay

When the CEO reveives his 5 million dollars bonus on April 1st while I am

still 20% below - I will make them pay

When they constantly violate the letter and spirit of our contract - a

contract that's a bargain by any measure, and force us to fight lengthy

grievances - I will make them pay.

My negotiating committee

speaks for me, but I act on my own. I am a walking nightmare to the bean

counters that made me. Are you listening? This mercenary has a lot of years

left with this company; how long can you afford to keep me bitter?

I'm not looking for clauses in a contract, I'm looking for a culture of

commitment and caring. When I see it, I'll be a soldier for Air Canada

again. Until then, I am an Army of One.And I'm not alone!

I've seen this as posted by a Delta pilot; then an AA pilot and the last time by a United pilot.

Now an Air Canada pilot.

Hard to be first with this sort of thing.

Glad to see someone posted to true origin of this diatribe. The AC pilots are unhappy with the direction management has taken the company and with the lack of respect but this wasn't written by an AC pilot.

Who originally wrote the piece is irrelevent. The point is by merely doing nothing, it can cost millions of dollars a year. Companies that expect employees to use discretion and good will to be profitable often are at the mercy of those same employees when senoir management go awry. When that business is an airline and margins are razor thin at the best of times, it doesn't take very many omissions to go from black to red.

It'd be interesting to see a study that ranked airline efficiency by fuel burned per asm flown. Naturally, it would have to be adjusted for stage length.

I am told one exists out there, but it is proprietary. Nonetheless, the numbers, as reported to me, were illuminating.

B)

It'd be interesting to see a study that ranked airline efficiency by fuel burned per asm flown. Naturally, it would have to be adjusted for stage length.

I am told one exists out there, but it is proprietary. Nonetheless, the numbers, as reported to me, were illuminating.

B)

I know that a student at Queens was researching this very thing a few years ago. I was asked to review her paper and pointed out several problems with, shall we call it "airline accounting". In the end this student changed focus for the paper.

If a real and valid study ranking airline efficiency based on a fuel burn per asm has been done it will probably be part of a thesis on the economic viability of expansion into under-served markets. Perhaps the person who call The Bean sponsored just such a study?

I know that a student at Queens was researching this very thing a few years ago. I was asked to review her paper and pointed out several problems with, shall we call it "airline accounting". In the end this student changed focus for the paper.

If a real and valid study ranking airline efficiency based on a fuel burn per asm has been done it will probably be part of a thesis on the economic viability of expansion into under-served markets. Perhaps the person who call The Bean sponsored just such a study?

I have only heard about such a study anecdotally and it was apparently was commisioned by and compared airlines within an alliance and was quite scientific.

I am told the results were quite interesting but I don't think they've ever seen the light of day.

B)

Very good point. AC is very near the top in that department globally. It is however, greatly unappreciated.

Dork

Fuel..what fuel...

Who originally wrote the piece is irrelevent. The point is by merely doing nothing, it can cost millions of dollars a year. Companies that expect employees to use discretion and good will to be profitable often are at the mercy of those same employees when senoir management go awry. When that business is an airline and margins are razor thin at the best of times, it doesn't take very many omissions to go from black to red.

The same omissions pretty much take you into CCAA to have your contract and pension gutted.

At some point, unprofitable companies stop paying their bills. It's amazing that some employees are bent on expediting that process without considering that their own paycheque is one of those bills.

Rich, the management is holding the employees hostage - not the other way 'round. Of course, my paycheque is one of the "bills" but I earn it and more. Has Rovinescue "earned" the 5 million he's about to be paid? I don't see him earning his regular (already too high) pay, let alone the bonus. The pilot's sign-on for a 30 year career and are fully committed to the company while management stays long enough to cash-out with a wallet full of cash.

Rich, the management is holding the employees hostage - not the other way 'round. Of course, my paycheque is one of the "bills" but I earn it and more. Has Rovinescue "earned" the 5 million he's about to be paid? I don't see him earning his regular (already too high) pay, let alone the bonus. The pilot's sign-on for a 30 year career and are fully committed to the company while management stays long enough to cash-out with a wallet full of cash.

I've forgotten, if I ever knew but excluding the value of stock options and performance bonuses, what is the annual salary of CR?

How does that annual salary compare with what a senior partner---a rainmaker to boot--- with a large Bay Street (or King St.) firm make exclusive of his "point" share of firm profits?

A "run of the mill" partner makes well north of a million a year. I'm guessing that CR would make around 2 to 2.5 if he returned to the private ranks. And he'd be billing around 1200-1400 hours per year---less than 30 per week. And I'm also guessing that as CEO, he's devoting a LOT more of is waking hours to the affairs of AC.

None of which is to suggest "A" is entitled to more compensation than "B"----it is just a reflection of the reality of earnings on the street. I was amazed to learn what a successful "wealth manager" (with a large book) generates in wages in Toronto. Of course, I was also amazed at how much dinner for two cost at Ruth's Chris downtown.

What he could or should earn on Bay Street is completely irrelevant. I'd say that we should pay him twice as much as he's getting now and a $10 million dollar bonus if he was turning us into an international powerhouse - but he isn't. If he would empower the employees - and reward them for their efforts, he'd get twice the return that he's getting from trying to beat them down. We're just not getting the performance to warrant his pricetag.

Very good point. AC is very near the top in that department globally. It is however, greatly unappreciated.

Dork

Fuel..what fuel...

I would suggest you get a hold of that document to confirm your claim. There are differing stories circulating out there on this matter. I have no idea which story is true.

What he could or should earn on Bay Street is completely irrelevant. I'd say that we should pay him twice as much as he's getting now and a $10 million dollar bonus if he was turning us into an international powerhouse - but he isn't. If he would empower the employees - and reward them for their efforts, he'd get twice the return that he's getting from trying to beat them down. We're just not getting the performance to warrant his pricetag.

Seeker---forgive me but that seems to be akin to Republicans insisting that taxes be cut while the deficit be eliminated and; oh, yeah--let's go to war against Iran and throw a few missiles at Syria.

Over and over again it is repeated that the costs at Air Canada are excessive. There are no magical wands----either income is increased or costs are reduced. You've mentioned (I believe) productivity increases. I know nada about many things one of which is crew planning but certainly, it has occurred to me that deadheading crew from YVR to YYZ to operate a MIA with a layover was perhaps not the most cost-effective use of manpower. That concession being made, I think it remains true that productivity increases alone would make only a slight dent in that deficit.

The management team have to look for other alternatives. The LCC is one such alternative and by definition, involves a significant reduction in the cost of labour. That means paying everyone less money---including pilots.

And labour understandably opposes any such incursion on its prerogatives.

How is that impasse to be resolved? One obvious answer was a two-tier wage structure but that is anaethema to unionists. What other answers can you suggest?

You state that what CR could make on Bay Street is irrelevant. I don't understand that assertion. Assume Air Canada refused to pay Air Canada pilots more than $75,000. per year. Wouldn't everyone capable of movement quickily change allegiance to any other carrier offering $100,000. per year? There is a market value to executive servicres just as there is to labour.CR didn't take the job out of the goodness of his heart. He was pursued by the Board and he negotiated the best deal he could. Aren't you proposing the same for yourself and your brethren?

I would suggest you get a hold of that document to confirm your claim. There are differing stories circulating out there on this matter. I have no idea which story is true.

Well if you can fly my airplane with less gas then me... I guess you are a pilot who has greater skill than I. I would love to see that.

You would need a tow to the gate. Perhaps you have ejection seat data Ì am unaware of.

Dork

Taking the crap out of the purported stats....

Archived