Plasma Vs. Lcd Vs. Led

CanadaEH

Just my two cents...

Plasma has best picture, but higher power consumption. Also washes out in a room with high ambient lighting.

LCD, and LED, same thing only backlighting is diifferent, not as sharp a picture due refresh rate being lower.

Both will be obsolete in a couple years when OLED TVs hit the market.

I went with LCD because I didn't like how the Plasma screens were so reflective of ambient light in the room. Also I have 3 kids who use that TV and I was worried about the TV getting left on and having screen burn in issues as I've heard is an issue on the Plasmas. Top that off with a high power consumption, and the LCD's seemed best for me. No complaints with my decision.

As for LED's no experiences with them...

We've got two 50" 1080p Panasonic Viera plasma screens and love them. Have had them for about three years now. If it's in a really bright room, you'd need to close the curtains as there's some issues with glare, but at night or in a dark room they're amazing.

I installed a Sharp AQUOS LED Tv for my father in law and to me the picture quality is second to none, even in a bright room. It is the Quatron version of the TV and IMHO is spectacular. Their older DLP TV picture was poor in comparison.

Plasmas don't burn in any more and have a wider viewing angle than LCD and also provide a deeper black colour.

Having said that I have two Panasonic 50" plasmas and a 50" Sony LCD and a 60" Sony DLP.

I find them all excellent with a slight edge to the Panasonics.

You can buy an OLED now if you demand perfection, but it will cost about 16k. I'm not that demanding. :biggrin1:

I had to replace 3 tvs when the local OTA signals went HD digital. With OLED coming onstream soon, I went for the cheap store brand LCD. The picture is still fabulous. A little too fabulous actually. A little too much unsettling wrinkly wattle, chipped teeth etc for my taste. I take my glasses off to go back to lo tech lo res. Ahhh, so comfortably fuzzy.

Archived