WestJet CEO plots bigger (or smaller?) fleet

CanadaEH

• Replies 174
  • Created
  • Last Reply

There could not be two more different corporate or employee cultures than AC and WJ. That is hopefully why WJ will never mimic anything that has been done at AC. If anybody needs to go back to the drawing board it is certainly not WJ.

I'm more in favour of doing it in-house than contracting or buying another airline (i.e. Porter). Hopefully we can learn from everything that isn't working at AC/Jazz/Sky Regional and make this work from the get-go. At least Westjet is doing it the right way by engaging its employees.

Why would you say it's not working at AC/Jazz/Sky Regional? I would say it's working just fine because if it wasn't then Westjet would not need to start a regional airline.

Why would you say it's not working at AC/Jazz/Sky Regional? I would say it's working just fine because if it wasn't then Westjet would not need to start a regional airline.

If it's working so well then why are they fighting it out in court now?

I thought Frontier shut down the Lynx operation some time ago. Aren't the Q400 at Sky Regional former Lynx aircraft?

Yes, the model worked so well that Frontier went bankrupt and was subsequently sold to RAH Holdings. The LYNX operation was shut down and that is where AC sourced the used Q400's for Skyregional.

Alaska has morphed to this model using Horizon as a wholly-owned operating under a capacity purchase contract for 100% of its seats. Different market (SEA), less local competition than DEN (UA/SW).

If it's working so well then why are they fighting it out in court now?

Because AC thought it would be OK to change the rules in the middle of the game.

Wizard, 2 possibilities...

1) This announcement has been the worst kept secret since everyone's been talking about it since November and there's a good chance the market adjusted way back then...

2) WJA stock ALWAYS goes down on good news.. geez where have you been? There was a 1.5 day exception to that rule when Jetsgo closed shop, but it sure as hell didn't last long! ;)

3) The market just doesn't care and this is just the usual market fluctuation...

4) I know, I said 2 possibilities, sue me :D

Guest Six Sigma

WestJet emphasizes that it isn’t interested in acquiring Toronto-based Porter Airlines Inc., which operates 26 Q400s. But to allay the fears of WestJet pilots who might be worried about their future, management has offered job security to pilots flying “mainline” Boeing 737s.

Even if WestJet were to buy Porter, WestJet is pledging to first protect the jobs of its own pilots before allowing any Porter pilots to be promoted to flying 737s.

http://www.theglobeandmail.com/report-on-business/westjet-workers-start-voting-on-regional-carrier-proposal/article2310910/?utm_medium=Feeds:%20RSS%2FAtom&utm_source=Report%20On%20Business&utm_content=2310910

Hmmm? We're not interested in Porter but if we do buy them we'll take care of our current pilots first - Sounds like they're going to buy Porter!

I gotta say I'm surprised that Westjet is taking this route - the subsidiary company is still in the planning stage and the discussion from the management and employees is already, apparently, focussed on protecting the Real Westjet employees from the "B-scale, second-class" Westjet employees. What happened to the whole team thing?

No offence to WJ, but as it is with most human endeavour, 'more' is always perceived to be, 'better'. Today's businesses all seem to believe, the 'growth model' is the only model to be followed?

Westjet stock lost .41 cents on Friday any reason for the decline this week? Seems the street is not to happy with the news this week.

Up $0.54 today. The market must be pretty pumped! :Grin-Nod:

In all seriousness, WJA stock has been doing this up and down for a while now and it's usually tied directly to the performance of the markets in gereral from what I can see.

Yes your correct the market performance was on an up side yesterday. Hard to get a read on what the street thinks of this.

I suspect that the street is more interested in continued profit at WJ rather than revenue growth, although the two are not necessarily mutually exclusive. Time will tell. One thing is for certain, AC will not sit still and now has at least one year to prepare for a known event. Competitive blood bathes do not usually benefit the shareholders as the price paid is often yields ergo profits.

Drag our Leaf Icon above to your taskbar to bookmark TGAM in Internet Explorer 9.

Show me how

Please don't show me this again

Remind me later

I know the pilots are key to the exercise but will the other Westjet employees have a say or are they just along for the ride?

The vote is company wide.

So, Westjet employees are being asked to institutionalize second tier wages and benefits well below the high end of the regional airline industry is this country?

It sounds to me that the race to the bottom is about over.

AC employees always like to invoke the race to the bottom as a terrible, terrible thing they must fight, ergo the opposition of many to the AC discount airline. It's curious, and instructive, that a majority of WS employees may be of another opinion.

Wow!

There's just too much information in the article in need of comment, which I'll leave most of to others.

IMHO, it's clear; WJ never learned a thing from the experience of AC & others. The 'tier 2' stage is set for labour unrest.

A question; if WJ considers their tier 2 operation a training ground for beginners, how do they see their guests? IOW's, the message I'm getting say's, the guest aboard the 73 is entitled to ‘experience, whatever that means, and the regional guest, to something more ‘risky’?

Archived