AVEOS Employment

mrlupin

Employees recently had to choose whether or not they would stay with AVEOS or go to AC. Depending on which of the 7 option chosen, (many of which include retirement) if you did not have the seniority to stay with AC you could get an "offer of employment" at AVEOS (and lose recall to AC) or just opt for the layoff from Ac with recall rights .

The offer of employment turned out not to be an offer of employment but instead an automatic boot to AVEOS and all those employees lost recall rights and are now AVEOS employees. They made their decision with the little information that was being circulated around and an arbitrator prevented appeal by the union (final and binding decision). It was implied by the parties that no employees with recall rights to AC would be hired by AVEOS. Now since many chose layoff from AC instead of employment at AVEOS, a certain shortfall exists at AVEOS. The two interested parties have now reviewed their policies and are offering employment at AVEOS with recall rights to AC. Employees who made their decision previously do not get that option... they are stuck at AVEOS.

The employee group who now had the chance to go to AVEOS with recall instead of layoff now appears to mistrust AVEOS and AC. Many are choosing to go to the street and find alternative employment.

As for exact numbers... who knows?? The deadline to accept employment at AVEOS was yesterday. Only the HR department would have that knowledge. All the employees saw was a mass email campaign inciting a no to AVEOS decision. I have no clue as to the impact of such a campaign as such decisions are rather personnel and not everyone has the same reality.

The decision by many are understandable,it is hard to imagine AVEOS with a bright future. Labor relations appear very tense in that company and that usually come with it's associated problems. It would be safe to put forward the hypothesis that AC will be increasing it's outsourcing in the future as that is the current trend among corporations. Externalize risks and minimize exposure to activities which are not your core competency. When you externalize risk in that fashion and something goes wrong, you merely change vendors and blame the last one for the problems, exonerating yourself of most of the blame...

Where did they go?

They haven't left yet. The date of the 18 of February has been set as the termination date. Some are leaving earlier as Bombardier has openings, others do not know where they will end up. For the record, as an AME, it is quite easy to recycle oneself in many similar fields of maintenance.

Thanks for the update, the only reason I asked was your use of "exodus" which to me meant "A mass departure of people".

Regarding the ability of AMEs to find new employment, I wonder if the shipyards in YVR and YHZ will be looking for talented folks who are familiar with large Gas Turbine engines . Or is there no match there?

Cheers

About 250 employees chose layoff from AC instead of work at AVEOS. (Rough estimate with only avionics tech, sheetmetal techs and M AMEs)

I do not think anyone has to go as far as the shipyards to find employment. But who knows...

I really do feel bad for all the folks who have stuck it out with AC {and derivitives} over the years. I was once one of those guys and the best thing I ever did was get out of that company. There is no trust whatsoever and I can imagine the moral has completely tanked.

On the bright side, there are positions open around the country using AME skill sets such as gas compresser {turbine} with energy companies. They have hired a few of our guys away from working on aircraft in Alberta, {with higher wages... and gee , no night shift}.Also, WestJet has been hiring in YEG,YVR and YYZ.

Good luck to everyone

Gary

Archived