TA Vote by FA's

UpperDeck

• Replies 156
  • Created
  • Last Reply

http://www.stthomast....aspx?e=3339213

Nearly everyone has a story about Air Canada flight attendants and here's my favourite.

On a sold-out flight to Calgary from Toronto in July of last year, the gate was so crowded that a few passengers were sitting on the floor working on their laptops.

The four flight attendants were sitting in the gate and when they got up to board the plane, it turned out they'd been occupying seats clearly marked for the handicapped.

It's difficult to think of a union that has fewer friends than the AC flight attendants, organized by the Canadian Union of Public Employees. Only the Canadian Union of Postal Workers is more unpopular.

It's one of the reasons why, at a time they could use some support in defence of their right to collective bargaining, the flight attendants have precious little equity with the public.

Twice in the last three months, the flight attendants have overwhelmingly rejected agreements negotiated by their own union leaders. Each time the Harper government made it clear it would not tolerate a strike against Air Canada.

A classic quote from the Britsh Airways mess:

Walsh has already struck deals with other unions that will cut 78 pilot jobs and improve productivity at the airline’s aircraft maintenance unit, and Mott Macdonald’s Price said the flight attendants are overestimating their own importance.

“It takes years to train pilots and engineers but it only takes weeks to train cabin crew,” he said

Meanwhile....back in this thread discussing FAs :biggrin2: :biggrin2: :biggrin2:

Again.....If I were "King" my airline would certainly have FAs but they would be hired for only a 5 year contract, renewable at the discretion of my super- supervisors.:Grin-Nod:

Taking a chance at annoying some of the fly boys, whose ego size is only surpassed by the weight and dimensions of their the "pilot" wrist watch, we must all realize that FAs can either "make or break a flight". The fact that "Joe Jetjockie" circumnavigated a fierce thunderstorm, dodged lightening bolts and had the commanding voice of Steve Canyon and ensured all the passengers/guests in his deepest pilot voice that all was well and that they would arrive at their destination on time, and unscathed is totally irrelevant to most passengers/guests. ( For WJ...how about getting on the same train and calling the beings in your tubes what every other airline calls them ...passengers. Guests in my opinion, are people who visit and do not pay a cent for their time in your environment):biggrin2:

Passengers, especially executives, and those that are not crazy about this thing called "flight" want to be coddled and looked after, they want to be pampered and given the impression that they are the most important person on that flight....ergo..... the end opinion of that passengers experience is mainly based on the attitude and work ethic of the FAs on-board.

Do they deserve the same pay as the guys in the pointy end..?..absolutely not and the reasons why have been posted too many times.......however I do feel they deserve the respect of the pilots they are flying with UNLESS they are not doing their job. The fact that the passengers spend all their time with the back-end crew and seldom have any personal contact with the "drivers" should not be forgotten. The vast majority of passengers FINAL impression of a flight is based upon how they were treated in the back end...not on the skill of the pilot, whom they seldom see.

Of course if I were "KING" my FAs would not have a Union either :)

Out here in Dotland...all is well ......and for the most part all the FAs I flew with were well above average in the performance of their job!!!

( For WJ...how about getting on the same train and calling the beings in your tubes what every other airline calls them ...passengers. Guests in my opinion, are people who visit and do not pay a cent for their time in your environment)

You really have an issue with this don't you?

The last time I was on vacation and stayed in a hotel I was their guest and they sure as heck wanted paying for the privilege. In your home I totally agree but anywhere in the hospitality industry you will be a guest and will be expected to pay for your stay.

One of our founders had deep roots in the hospitality industry and that is where the term guest originated. It has stuck and it works for us......let it go......it is not going to change anytime soon.

On the humourous side someone once told me the similarities between house guests and garbage is that after 3 days they both begin to stink and need to be put out.

You really have an issue with this don't you?

NO , I don't have an issue with your "guest" use...I have an issue with typing that damned word so that I don't offend any WJer for leaving them out of any discussion :biggrin2:. One has to ensure inclusion when talking within the industry.....For example: one can not just refer to pilots as the "guys" now...it has to be "guys and gals":) But then again, I guess at my age I really shouldn't give a darn if I occasionally offend anyone :Grin-Nod: :Grin-Nod: .

I am not an accomplished typist...... I am a H and P typist and the less words I have to "find" on the keyboard...the better..;)

Archived