9/11 transcripts form ATC/military

Seeker

A horrible day for so many people. Have some difficulty with the person who responded "cool" when advised they were dealing with a real world hi-jacking.

I was shocked when I first read that part too but it's probably more just a way of saying, "i understand and am following you - go on" rather than "COOL!"

This was posted on another forum:

Having served in NORAD for 15+ years, let me explain a few things.

On the morning of September 11, 2001, the North East Regional HQ of NORAD was just starting a major, annual exercise called a Command Post Exercise (CPX). These CPX exercises are planned at least a year in advance and are conducted throughout all of NORAD on a regular basis. The purpose of these exercises is to provide simulated scenarios to the staff in a controlled environment so that they can practice their battle/war-time procedures. They are also conducted completely separate from the folks who are actually handling the day-to-day operations. In other words, the exercise staff are all locked away in a room, away from the actual operations staff, so that they can practice procedures in a simulated environment.

When the events of that fateful morning started to unfold, the actual operations staff (who were well aware that their exercise compatriots were about to start an exercise) were initially suspect that perhaps the exercise scenario was spilling over into their domain and thus the “real world” comments. This term – “real world” is part of the actual NORAD lexicon and is designed specifically to eliminate any confusion that might exist between exercise “simulated” scenarios and actual “real world” scenarios. In other words, as soon as someone declares “real world”, he/she is making a very positive statement that “THIS IS NOT AN EXERCISE” so that everyone in the HQ (exercise staff and operations staff) is aware that this is the real thing.

So the system worked. All the players in the HQ understood – as soon the “real world” declaration was made – that they had an actual situation on their hands. As it turned out, the exercise was terminated immediately and all the exercise staff then augmented the “real world” operations staff and the day continued.

I was shocked when I first read that part too but it's probably more just a way of saying, "i understand and am following you - go on" rather than "COOL!"

You're probably correct J.O.

I think I just have a hard time reading or listening to the entire transcript. It's like watching a movie and yelling at the screen believing it might help them.

If somewhere in the afterlife I happen to meet Mohammad Atta, I will find as many other ex-airline employees as I can and we'll beat the crap out of him......again.

You probably correct J.O.

I think I just have a hard time reading or listening to the entire transcript. It's like watching a movie and yelling at the screen believing it might help them.

If somewhere in the afterlife I happen to meet Mulhammad Atta, I will find as many other ex-airline employees as I can and we'll beat the crap out of him......again.

What did you do that leads you to believe you'll "enjoy" eternity in the same locale? (j/k)

What did you do that leads you to believe you'll "enjoy" eternity in the same locale? (j/k)

The joke's on all of us... we all DO enjoy eternity in the same locale! We're all just a few particles of the whole... nothing matters, but love.

Hatred is nothing more than the slightest of electrical nano-tickles in the cosmic oceans of googolplex current. Love is the butterfly that flaps it's wings, and makes the sun shine 2000 miles away... the smile that warms the heart of a beast... the diamond lining in every cloud... ...and the heart of every dog. ;)

...and that's about as religious as you're ever going to hear from me. :biggrin2:

I just listened to the audio, before I had read the transcript only - the person who says, "cool" sounds like a young woman and she actually does sound excited about the situation. mad.gif

Archived