Open Mike

blues deville

Traveled east on westjet this past week. Both flights delayed....one with the YYZ lightning system warning.....not a problem. The other was a window heat fault and a six hour delay. Both flights required an explanation from the flight crew however each tIme the Captain made the PA standing in the forward galley. The one in YYZ was filled with unnecessary jokes that bothered some of the people sitting near my wife and I. Also, if you're going to get up in front a group of people and speak, have an idea of what you're going to say before you open your mouth. I lost count of how many times the skipper said "ah" or "um". The great thing about a PA mike is you can turn it off if you feel a pause coming up.

Great Lead FA (Christine?) on the return who managed to calm upset folks who were going to miss their connecting flights for a second time. Some of the cabin crew attempted to joke around which was stopped immediately by a sensible the Lead. Most passengers had lost their sense of humor shortly after midnight while waiting in a boarding lounge with not enough seats. Later in T3 our baggage was a 30 minute wait at 2am.

Wife said we're flying AC next time.

• Replies 78
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Wife said we're flying AC next time.

That is your right as a consumer. I am sorry you had what you considered a bad flight on my airline. I am not familiar with that particular delay but depending on the fault some of those window heat ones can be tricky to pinpiont the exact cause. My crew and I took a 5 hour delay in HNL last summer for an R2 overheat indication.

As for your comments about the Captain being hesitant on the PA at the front of the cabin all I can say is we are not all cut out for public speaking and for someone used to giving PAs from the seclusion of the flight deck standing up there in front of 100-150 people staring at you can be quite un-nerving. Kudos to him for standing out there and putting a face to the normally disembodied voice from the flight deck. In my experience most guests appreciate the gesture and are quite understanding and forgiving of the few flubs and flaws. I remember my first time giving a PA from the front of the aircraft during an IROP, I was terrified, and just ask anyone I usually have no trouble expressing myself or my opinion. It is by the way something we are encouraged to do in the event of an IROP. It helps put a human face on the delay and oftentimes we can answer technical questions that the F/As are not able to.

Oh and our Pursers are called Lead F/As and our passengers are called guests.

That is your right as a consumer. I am sorry you had what you considered a bad flight on my airline. I am not familiar with that particular delay but depending on the fault some of those window heat ones can be tricky to pinpiont the exact cause. My crew and I took a 5 hour delay in HNL last summer for an R2 overheat indication.

As for your comments about the Captain being hesitant on the PA at the front of the cabin all I can say is we are not all cut out for public speaking and for someone used to giving PAs from the seclusion of the flight deck standing up there in front of 100-150 people staring at you can be quite un-nerving. Kudos to him for standing out there and putting a face to the normally disembodied voice from the flight deck. In my experience most guests appreciate the gesture and are quite understanding and forgiving of the few flubs and flaws. I remember my first time giving a PA from the front of the aircraft during an IROP, I was terrified, and just ask anyone I usually have no trouble expressing myself or my opinion. It is by the way something we are encouraged to do in the event of an IROP. It helps put a human face on the delay and oftentimes we can answer technical questions that the F/As are not able to.

Oh and our Pursers are called Lead F/As and our passengers are called guests.

[/quote

You are absolutely correct. There are two choices for air travel to our Canadian maritimes. Two. And there are posts on this forum all the time about experiences as passengers and I'm simply posting mine. If you don't like what you're reading feel free to stop at any time.

I fully understand what it is like to speak on a PA. If you've flown for a Canadian charter airline you get good at it. I've had my share of defects around the globe too. But if I'm expected to

listen to the flubs and flaws by an unnerved Captain then don't charge me the same rates as the other guys. I shop at Costco and Walmart too but I expect value and quality for my dollar as I'm sure you do.

The cause was pinpointed to be the FO's side window heat and passengers were told about a reference to the MEL and forecast WX for YYZ. Passengers near me had no idea what he was talking about but it sounded quite impressive. I had to translate what I heard for my wife because she didn't understand the jargon either.

My point is I don't understand the need to be front and center when making a PA. Only the first few rows can see the pilot. Maybe he wouldn't flub and flaw if it was given from the flight deck.

Just my opinion, I could be wrong.

That used to be the case, but the lines are blurrier now than they used to be, IMHO. It's called maturity and it comes with the territory, even in an innovative organization.

I don't fly AC but I have friends and family that do. Their positive opinions about AC have improved dramatically over the years and their opinions of WS have gotten worse. I agree with that assessment, and think our Inflight service has become "average" and certainly nothing to write home about.

It is by the way something we are encouraged to do in the event of an IROP. It helps put a human face on the delay and oftentimes we can answer technical questions that the F/As are not able to.

i split the difference - do my PA from the F/D and then make myself available at the door of the aircraft to answer questions and give the confident smile. As for putting a "human face" to the delay, sorry, don't buy it - a clear, empathetic and sincere PA from the F/D beats one that is delivered from the galley by an uncomfortable pilot who has introduced himself as "Captain Dave" (which I witnessed personally on one occasion).

I don't fly AC but I have friends and family that do. Their positive opinions about AC have improved dramatically over the years and their opinions of WS have gotten worse. I agree with that assessment, and think our Inflight service has become "average" and certainly nothing to write home about.

I fly Westjet once or twice a month and I find the inflight service to be just fine but you're right some of the "I'm-so-happy-to-be-here" has gone away as people have matured into their jobs. I see this as a good thing since some of the Lead F/As used to have trouble finding the line between "funny" and "goofy". Personally, I don't believe that most people like the jokes but a few will laugh out loud which skews the perception that it's going over well. If you're about to depart Florida with a planeload of vacationers coming back to a snowstorm in Winnipeg - that's a good place for a joke because you probably have a fairly consistent audience. OTOH, a regular domestic flight will have business travellers, somebody going to see their ailing parent and people travelling for unhappy reasons - can't be sure that the joke about "50 ways to leave your lover but only 6 ways off the airplane" will meet a receptive audience at all - better not to do it.

Actually the in-flight service was fine. When I booked the trip I paid extra for our seat selection which were comfortable and the aircraft was clean. It was the usual WS routine and the crew passed down the aisle twice on each flight. The buy on board snacks were free on the 6 hour delayed flight home and everyone was given a $10 voucher for food at the airport cafe. We had grabbed a taxi back into the city and had a nice dinner before returning to airport for a planned 11pm departure.

When my wife mentioned to me that our next trip to the island would be on AIr Canada, I reminded her of two recent AC flights to meet me in SFO and LAX earlier this summer. I would post a review of those flights but I doubt anyone would believe a paying customer could be be treated so rudely and so poorly.

Actually the in-flight service was fine. When I booked the trip I paid extra for our seat selection which were comfortable and the aircraft was clean. It was the usual WS routine and the crew passed down the aisle twice on each flight. The buy on board snacks were free on the 6 hour delayed flight home and everyone was given a $10 voucher for food at the airport cafe. We had grabbed a taxi back into the city and had a nice dinner before returning to airport for a planned 11pm departure.

When my wife mentioned to me that our next trip to the island would be on AIr Canada, I reminded her of two recent AC flights to meet me in SFO and LAX earlier this summer. I would post a review of those flights but I doubt anyone would believe a paying customer could be be treated so rudely and so poorly.

In my humble opinion, I would say that 50% of our inflight PAs are lousy. DB (one of the founders of WestJet) used to say, keep it simple, keep it short, don't repeat and don't say ahhhhhh! Like I need to be reminded to use the facilities prior to descent. Now it's a good time for a crap. BTW I also think that the jokes are getting old.

I also agree Canada EH!

For my money I would prefer to see smiling pleasant professionalism from all the crew.

I don't need jokes or entertainment, I've got IFE for that.

I recall pundits who said that the concept of a Canadian airline adding a little levity to the proceedings would fail to catch on even when WJ announced it had carried 50,000 guests in less than 3 months of flying in May 1996.

Skip forward 15 or so years and WJ carried 3,941,000 segment guests in its most recent quarter, or close to 16,000,000 per year with, as far as I can tell, about the same proportion of humor on the various flights as way back when.

It's apparent at least a few guests seem to enjoy the differentiated experience.

Visibly unique and easily contrasted....

B)

I recall pundits who said that the concept of a Canadian airline adding a little levity to the proceedings would fail to catch on even when WJ announced it had carried 50,000 guests in less than 3 months of flying in May 1996.

Skip forward 15 or so years and WJ carried 3,941,000 segment guests in its most recent quarter, or close to 16,000,000 per year with, as far as I can tell, about the same proportion of humor on the various flights as way back when.

It's apparent at least a few guests seem to enjoy the differentiated experience.

Visibly unique and easily contrasted....

B)

I suppose you could say those pundits were wrong.

I don't think it's the levity that has attracted people to fly Westjet. Initially it was the pricing. However, it has slowly crept up to match the other guys. I've never said that I needed a good laugh.....let's book a seat on Westjet. There are places like Second City in Toronto and The Comedy Store in LA where I've paid to have someone entertain me with cleverly written skits and standup comedy. I don't expect it from an airline cabin crew. I don't think anyone does.

I have travelled quite often on Westjet since they started up. Mostly dead heading with my airline paying the fare. This recent trip was only my second time paying for a WS ticket myself. I have liked their product from the start even when it was in the back of a patched up 737-200.

Getting back to my initial post of my WS flights, some of the people sitting around us on both trips were first time flyers. They told us or we could hear their concerns when the Captain

joked about the First Officer doing his first landing .....pause......first landing today. That joke started a flurry of comments and the two seniors seated next me didn't hear the punch line, if that's what you can call it. So they started to get nervous too until I repeated what was was said by the captain. But that joke was completely unnecessary.

Westjet has grown quickly and successfully. I don't think what Westjet has accomplished could be repeated in Canada. It was a well timed event.

Westjet humor.....audibly annoying and easily upsetting.

as far as I can tell, about the same proportion of humor on the various flights as way back when.

Nope, considerably less humour than in the beginning. The Westjet flight I took today had a Lead F/A who delivered a few monotone, canned lines about "man purses" to an audience who showed absolutely no reaction at all. It wasn't funny and nobody cared. The whole humour thing might have been factor when you were stimulating the market and getting "new" passengers but that time has passed. A funny line is good when you can deliver it with a bit of a punch and a little energy but people can tell when you're just reading the same script that you've used on every other flight you've done this month.

Hey Kip, what's a "spit-board"? :whistling:

Hi Rich,

I see the emoticon, however I wil still give an answer :Grin-Nod: (old fella = Kip?)

I flew with a few who really had difficulty with the PA system, particularily the young pilots in the VIP Squadron in the RCAF, and there were a few in the airline industry. I was truly amazed to fly with a very senior Captain, long time airline pilot who was still using one after 25 years in the industry........and his PAs were extremely professional.

Initially the "spit-board" was merely a piece of persplex, (about 1/8 inch thick and 8 1/2 by 11 inches), that one could use to write on with a grease pencil. The first one was just a single piece and as it developed, the odd fellow added a second piece that was hinged to the first.

The fella had typed out pieces of info with blanks on it, he would slip the paper between the pieces of persplex, fill in the blanks with a grease pencil and then give a PA. Each fellow adapted his pre-typed sheets to his personality and many pilots had 3 or 4 sheets of info, each for different types of flights, (trans Atlantic, Arctic, Domestic etc.), including "reasons for delay ".

It was unbelievable how competent some of the young fellas sounded once the board was filled in and they made the PA. No "word whiskers" just good professional information. In some cases many pilots could stop using the board once they got over their "fear" of public speaking.

The name "spit-board" was derived from the initial "models" where the author would spit on the board and use a tissue to clean off the words he had filled in. As time progressed many had their sheets with blanks on it laminated and they would just write on the laminated sheet and clean it off later....also cut down on having to carry the sheets of persplex.

Fly Safe

Nope, considerably less humour than in the beginning. The Westjet flight I took today had a Lead F/A who delivered a few monotone, canned lines about "man purses" to an audience who showed absolutely no reaction at all. It wasn't funny and nobody cared. The whole humour thing might have been factor when you were stimulating the market and getting "new" passengers but that time has passed. A funny line is good when you can deliver it with a bit of a punch and a little energy but people can tell when you're just reading the same script that you've used on every other flight you've done this month.

There is no question that some people are able to pull off the humor thing far better than others. It can be painful observing those who are not good at it. However, it is a treat to see those that know what they are doing.

I was on the last leg of a very long day of flying last week and had a WJ F/A pull off the safety demo in the style of a Dr. Seuss story which was hilarious, even for someone who's flown WJA extensively since day 1.

After something like 23 hours flying, including my first A380 experience, the most memorable part of all the flights was the safety demo from on the YYC-YYJ leg.

And yes, I congratulated her after the grooming was done.

Visibly unique and easily contrasted....longtimers will understand the reference below....

B)

post-5306-0-95124900-1313946666_thumb.jp

....................... safety demo in the style of a Dr. Seuss story which was hilarious, even for someone who's flown WJA extensively since day 1.

Your sentence infers , perhaps laughter, and I too have been onboard WJ when during the SAFETY DEMO there has been laughter.......which brings me to my point.........What would be the WJ's brass hats answer to TC,or the media, in the event, (God forbid), and incident where there are some fatalities and "guests" that suffer injuries state that they could not hear the full context of the SAFETY DEMO due to some guests laughing so hard/loudly??

Just my opinion...but there should never be humour mixed with information that may save your life .......especially with respect to SAFETY DEMOS because some of your "guests" may be first time flyers and need that critical information.

Archived