Is Westjet Telemarketing

Stickle

3 times today, from 3 different phone numbers I have received this thing that starts out "As you are a loyal WestJet customer you have qualified for a free gift from Westjet". The first time I just hung up but the last two I hit the good old number 1 to accept the offer. Of course there is the qualifications that you must be over 21 and (big surprise here) a credit card holder. After I let them go through their opening schpeel and I then challenge them on who they are and that all of my numbers are on the do not call list they get a little flustered. The first caller simply hung up on me while the second one asked me to hold and after 7 minutes I hung up. Way to go WestJet....... I don't care if it is you or not, its your name on the initial recording so you must be involved in some fashion.

Anyone know what the heck is going on with this.

WestJet warns public that national telephone scam is back

WestJet does not use telemarketers or share guests' personal information

CALGARY, Alberta. April 14, 2011. WestJet is today warning the public about the reoccurrence of a scam being perpetrated by fraud artists trying to obtain credit card information. The scam is occurring nationally via telephone whereby callers pose as WestJet or other reputable companies.

Although there are variations to this scam, fraudsters are randomly calling people to say that they are eligible to win a prize, but will have to purchase a product or send money to receive it. Credit card information is usually requested.

WestJet does not engage in telephone marketing or share guests' personal information with third parties for use in telephone marketing. Those responsible for this fraud are calling telephone numbers they have selected at random.

"We have taken steps to warn our guests in the past when these scams have surfaced, and now this one appears to be making the rounds again," said Bob Cummings, WestJet Executive Vice-President, Marketing and Sales. "We want Canadians to know that this is a scam, and that we are not providing any guest information to these fraudsters."

For more information on this and other scams, visit the Canadian Anti-fraud Centre at www.antifraudcentre.ca. Anyone receiving one of these calls should hang up immediately and call 1-888-495-8501 or email info@antifraudcentre.ca to report it.

I got 2 of these the other day one said I was a loyal WestJet customer and the second said I was a loyal Air Canada customer. It is a scam, I hung up on both.

I got a call from someone saying they were Bell Mobility tonight and that they had some offers for me. He then went on to say that they needed me to answer some security questions. I said that they were the ones who called me, so they already know who I am and I shouldn't have to answer any security questions. He went on to say that, if I had call display, I could see their 800 number. Big deal I said... easy to spoof an 800 number.

He said he couldn't tell me about the special deals unless I answered the security questions, so I said "So, I guess we're done, then. Goodbye".

It might have been legit, but I don't think so.

I got a call from someone saying they were Bell Mobility tonight and that they had some offers for me. He then went on to say that they needed me to answer some security questions. I said that they were the ones who called me, so they already know who I am and I shouldn't have to answer any security questions. He went on to say that, if I had call display, I could see their 800 number. Big deal I said... easy to spoof an 800 number.

He said he couldn't tell me about the special deals unless I answered the security questions, so I said "So, I guess we're done, then. Goodbye".

It might have been legit, but I don't think so.

Classic identity theft scam. The only time you should be asked security questions is when you have called them.

Well you skeptics, I gave them the information and now I have $6.5 million coming from a Nigerian princes second cousin, so there!

I'll start a new thread once I've taken ownership of my new Palace in Lagos!

Brett? You want to come see me? You're the only guy I know in Africa. icon_super.gif

Those aren't even the best ones, I keep getting calls from some assholes claiming to be a collection agency for every credit card I have ever heard of and are threatening to have me arrested if I don't immediately pay my overdue balance. And what do you know - they accept credit cards. And not only do they accept credit cards they will let me pay off any other debts I happen to have.

Now, it just so happens credit card processing is something I know a little bit about. So I make-up fake numbers that would appear to be plausible Visa and Master Card numbers but will come back as invalid once they try to enter a transaction. I like to think I waste a fair bit of their time.

Telemarketing??

Try this............

Use the lonely old senior routine. In your best old man voice, I say, "Oh thank gawd you called. My kids never call. My grandkids never call. They're all ba$tards! But I'm glad you called. Where are you calling from? What's the weather like? What are you wearing?"

(The last is especially fun when it's a male telemarketer on the line!)................... then ask him if he likes older men....................'click' !!.

Our Network and Telecom manager was showing me some new telephone software and a script he had written he calls the "**bleep**otron 2000". When a telemarketer calls there is a button on the phones that will transfer the caller to an extension running a script that sounds like somebody in extremely broken english expressing a strong interest in what their selling, every time the line goes silent it plays another line of nonsense speech. "I buy right now, I pay with visa okay right?

Well you skeptics, I gave them the information and now I have $6.5 million coming from a Nigerian princes second cousin, so there!

I'll start a new thread once I've taken ownership of my new Palace in Lagos!

Brett? You want to come see me? You're the only guy I know in Africa. icon_super.gif

You got conned!

I'm getting a cool $25m from the 2nd cousin of Botswana's Minister of Putting things on top of other things, who is trying to leave the country and start a better life.

I'm nothing if not a humanitarian.

:cool:

You got conned!

I'm getting a cool $25m from the 2nd cousin of Botswana's Minister of Putting things on top of other things, who is trying to leave the country and start a better life.

I'm nothing if not a humanitarian.

:cool:

I sort of figured that the whole scam was your idea in the first place! wink_smile.gif

Yup. I dreamt up the Nigerian scam all by myself, but that was nothing compared to my biggest play...the Kennedy assasination.

B)

And here we thought you're greatest accomplishment was planning G20 kickbacks :ninja:

Or was it Roswell? :biggrin1:

Archived