May 1st is the start date....

anonymous

MONTREAL, March 4 /CNW Telbec/ - Air Canada announced today that it will commence service from the Toronto Island's Billy Bishop Airport on May 1, 2011 following the conclusion of a terminal agreement with City Centre Terminal Corp., the airport terminal owned by Porter Aviation Holdings Inc. Air Canada's initial schedule will provide up to 15 daily non-stop return flights between downtown Toronto and Montreal Trudeau International Airport.

"Air Canada is extremely pleased to return to Toronto Island and expand the range of travel options for our customers. This unique service between downtown Toronto and Montreal will provide more choice and added convenience for our customers travelling between Canada's two largest cities," said Ben Smith, Executive Vice-President and Chief Commercial Officer.

Tickets for Air Canada's Toronto Island flights will go on sale March 7, 2011. The service will use state-of-the-art Bombardier Dash 8 Q-400 aircraft operated by Sky Regional Airlines Inc., an associated company of Skyservice Business Aviation.

Porter to remain dominant player at Island airport

Monday, March 07, 2011 - Globe and Mail

Brent Jang - Transportation Reporter

Porter Aviation Holdings Inc. will remain the dominant player at Billy Bishop Toronto City Airport, controlling 77 per cent of the takeoff and landing slots while Air Canada will have only 15 per cent when it starts Toronto-Montreal flights in May, says Porter chief executive officer Robert Deluce.Far from retrenching, Porter is in a strong position with its 156 slots, Mr. Deluce said in an interview Monday. Porter owns the regional airline and City Centre Terminal Corp., which will collect lease payments from Air Canada.

Mr. Deluce said some Air Canada customers will shift from Toronto's Pearson International Airport to Billy Bishop. "It is a cannibalization of Air Canada's own product," he said. With new slots at Billy Bishop likely to be awarded in 2013, Porter stands to benefit, he asserted.

Nina Slawek, co-founder of consumer travel website TakeOffEh.com, said travellers who avidly collect Aeroplan points will appreciate having the option of catching Air Canada flights at Billy Bishop. Air Canada, which will be deploying Bombardier Q400 turboprops operated by Sky Regional Airlines Inc., will only offer the Toronto-Montreal route at first, for 15 daily round-trips, or 30 slots.

Last summer, Houston-based Continental Airlines Corp. garnered the rights to the remaining 16 slots, but it hasn't set any launch date yet for possible transborder flights to Newark, N.J.

Porter has a fleet of Q400s and its network includes 16 destinations.

Ms. Slawek said Mr. Deluce has carefully crafted his moves at the Toronto island airport, devising a strategy that allows him to oversee a regional airline while he also plays the role of airport terminal landlord. "He has set himself up nicely there," she said.

Porter has enjoyed a monopoly on commercial flights at Billy Bishop since October, 2006, when the Toronto-based carrier began operations. A terminal company headed by Mr. Deluce ousted Air Canada Jazz from the airport in February, 2006.

On Monday, Air Canada began selling tickets for flights between Billy Bishop and Montreal, offering one-way fares as low as $149, effective for selected May flights. Travel agents caution that airfares change frequently, and while Porter has base fares as low as $119 one-way on its Toronto-Montreal route for May flights, consumers need to read the fine print for restrictions.

With WestJet Airlines Ltd. preparing to step up its service at Pearson with discounted ticket prices, Air Canada is offering one-way fares as low as $69 on the Pearson-Montreal route for travel in May.

looking at the fares that Ac is offering for the first month, there will be some negative impact on Porter.

Ridiculously low fares have a negative impact on all of us. angry_smile.gif

having more slots is a plus for them but looking at the fares that Ac is offering for the first month, there will be some negative impact on Porter.

I recall a little airline arriving on the scene in late Feb 96 with 2 flights a day from YYC-YVR compared to a total of 32 with the incumbents, not including the charter guys.

I think we all know what happened after that.

:cool:

I recall a little airline arriving on the scene in late Feb 96 with 2 flights a day from YYC-YVR compared to a total of 32 with the incumbents, not including the charter guys.

Or another little airline a few years later also in Toronto involving same companies as now named Roots Air; we definitely remember what happened there!

Here is the flight schedule

Posted: 08 Mar 2011 12:28 AM PST

Air Canada from 01MAY11 is introducing Toronto City Centre/Island – Montreal service, with up to 15 daily service on weekdays. Service operates with Dash8-Q400, which will be operated by Sky Regional Airlines, not Air Canada Jazz.

Schedule:

AC7502 YTZ0730 – 0840YUL DH4 x67

AC7504 YTZ0830 – 0940YUL DH4 D

AC7506 YTZ0930 – 1040YUL DH4 x7

AC7508 YTZ1030 – 1140YUL DH4 D

AC7510 YTZ1125 – 1235YUL DH4 x67

AC7512 YTZ1230 – 1340YUL DH4 D

AC7514 YTZ1330 – 1440YUL DH4 x67

AC7516 YTZ1430 – 1540YUL DH4 D

AC7518 YTZ1530 – 1640YUL DH4 x6

AC7520 YTZ1630 – 1740YUL DH4 D

AC7522 YTZ1730 – 1840YUL DH4 x6

AC7524 YTZ1830 – 1940YUL DH4 D

AC7526 YTZ1925 – 2035YUL DH4 x6

AC7528 YTZ2030 – 2140YUL DH4 x6

AC7530 YTZ2130 – 2240YUL DH4 x6

AC7501 YUL0645 – 0755YTZ DH4 x67

AC7503 YUL0750 – 0900YTZ DH4 x7

AC7505 YUL0850 – 1000YTZ DH4 D

AC7507 YUL0945 – 1055YTZ DH4 x67

AC7509 YUL1050 – 1200YTZ DH4 D

AC7511 YUL1150 – 1300YTZ DH4 x6

AC7513 YUL1250 – 1400YTZ DH4 D

AC7515 YUL1350 – 1500YTZ DH4 x67

AC7517 YUL1450 – 1600YTZ DH4 D

AC7519 YUL1550 – 1700YTZ DH4 x6

AC7521 YUL1645 – 1755YTZ DH4 D

AC7523 YUL1745 – 1855YTZ DH4 x6

AC7525 YUL1850 – 2000YTZ DH4 D

AC7527 YUL1945 – 2055YTZ DH4 x6

AC7529 YUL2045 – 2155YTZ DH4 x6

I recall another little airline got caught spying on another airline.

:cool::cool::cool:

Does this mean ACPA has a contract? I thought there was codeshare language to work out here?

No contract yet, codeshare/scope language still to be finalized. The company obviously feels confident enough to proceed toward the launch however.

I recall another little airline got caught spying on another airline.

Shhhhh! You're not supposed to mention that around here - we're all friends now (gotta put your past in your behind!).

Shhhhh! You're not supposed to mention that around here - we're all friends now (gotta put your past in your behind!).

Thanks to a classy idea from Robert Milton a lot of charities came in to a lot of money from this fiasco; so it really was a good news ending.

• 3 weeks later...

The one advantage that Porter has over any incumbents is control over the slots and terminal... then 3 years later, Air Canada (via federal government meddling) did WS the ultimate favour of launching them from baby third place carrier firmly into second place.

Not that I think Porter is going to fare well in the triangle, but I just don't see it as the same situation.

But what is the "end game"? There is always an "end game".

Is the intent limited to engineering or hastening the demise of Porter or is this an opportunity to begin development of an alternative to Jazz---to "whipsaw" negotiations in the future for CPA terms?

Given that labour costs are a significant component of total operational expenses, doesn't the prospect of that "whipsaw" also include the prospect of "wage level competition" between the two pilot groups and....eventually....won't that potentially create downward pressure on ACPA payscales?

Unfortunately, employee groups seem always to have that perspective; "I'm on board...pull the ladder up" and do so without first ensuring that the vessel is seaworthy and has the destination they anticipated.

But what is the "end game"? There is always an "end game".

Is the intent limited to engineering or hastening the demise of Porter or is this an opportunity to begin development of an alternative to Jazz---to "whipsaw" negotiations in the future for CPA terms?

Given that labour costs are a significant component of total operational expenses, doesn't the prospect of that "whipsaw" also include the prospect of "wage level competition" between the two pilot groups and....eventually....won't that potentially create downward pressure on ACPA payscales?

Unfortunately, employee groups seem always to have that perspective; "I'm on board...pull the ladder up" and do so without first ensuring that the vessel is seaworthy and has the destination they anticipated.

I really don't understand your logic. Haven't other airlines created enough whip-sawing for ACPA payscales? Do you actually think not engaging lower-cost competitors protects ACPA wages? At least if AC Express makes money, it benefits the corporation in a way that might benefit you. I submit to you that either way, industry wages are headed to where they are destined to head, whether you choose to benefit indirectly from it.

I really don't understand your logic. Haven't other airlines created enough whip-sawing for ACPA payscales? Do you actually think not engaging lower-cost competitors protects ACPA wages? At least if AC Express makes money, it benefits the corporation in a way that might benefit you. I submit to you that either way, industry wages are headed to where they are destined to head, whether you choose to benefit indirectly from it.

A few points in response but first--I am not a pilot.

You ask about not "engaging" low-cost competitors. My answer quite simply is; "No. I do not nor have I ever seen the merit of Air Canada competing against a loss-generating operation by matching prices. Leave them alone and they will dispatch themselves." Actually---haven't you been preaching the mantra that Porter was basically engaged in a Ponzi scheme and could not survive with continued operating losses?

If AC Express makes money, it will do so because the revenues it receives from Air Canada exceed its costs of operation. Isn't that correct? And if that is the case, Air Canada is either subsidizing the service at the expense of its bottom-line (we've heard that before re: Jazz) or is selling the seats at a profit---succeeding where Porter failed--in which event-- wouldn't Air Canada have a financial interest in purchasing the Air Express services for other routes? And from whence will those other routes come---routes that can be adequately served by a Q400?

Now tell me how "I" (were I a pilot) would benefit---directly or indirectly--- from that scenario?

Archived