Bad Press for Sunwing

Say Altitude

I think it will be on The National tonight.

http://www.cbc.ca/thenational/indepthanalysis/gopublic/story/2011/01/03/bc-sunwingpackage.html

Sunwing vacation includes sleepless night

All-inclusive Mexico package lacks hotel room on last night

Last Updated: Tuesday, January 4, 2011 | 9:06 AM ET

By Kathy Tomlinson, CBC News

Several travellers who bought an all-inclusive vacation package in Mexico say they got a nasty surprise after arrival — they were booked into a hotel for one night less than expected and had to check out 17 hours before their morning flight home.

Stacey Riediger went to Mexico to celebrate her birthday, but ended up trying to sleep in the hotel lobby on the last night. (CBC)

"Everyone in our package was in the same boat," said Tony Lucas, who bought the Sunwing/Signature vacation package from Vancouver to Puerto Vallarta with his wife, Stacey Riediger, at the end of November.

"It was a great deal … [but] it was a travel ripoff."

The couple from Abbotsford, B.C., paid $1,451 for the all-inclusive, eight-day package. It was Riediger's 40th-birthday celebration and her first time on an airplane. The couple — along with several others — ended up sleeping in the lobby of the hotel Riu Jalisco on their last night, because they had to check out early.

P.O.V.:

Have you bought a bad travel package? Take our survey.

Dozed on lobby chairs

"It was cold. There was a lot of people with blankets sleeping on chairs and it was noisy. And it is open to the outside, so you are basically outside," said Lucas.

Several vacationers slept on chairs in the Riu Jalisco hotel near Puerto Vallarta, because they had to vacate their rooms 17 hours before their flight home. (CBC)

"The end of the vacation was definitely ruined. The beginning was ruined too, with wasting a day in the lobby … trying to get an answer to what's going on."

The Sunwing package is advertised as "eight days," with no reference to hotel checkout times in the booking confirmation from Expedia, the site the couple booked through.

"Especially being my first trip, I was nervous and I checked out everything," said Riediger. "We didn't see anything that said we had to be out at noon [the day before the flight back]."

It wasn't until the first afternoon in Mexico — at a Sunwing orientation — that the couple, along with several others, learned they were expected to vacate their rooms after seven nights.

"I felt like I had been lied to," said Riediger.

Lucas and Riediger said the Sunwing representative at the hotel gave the group two options: pay an extra $130 for a "late checkout" on their last day or take a "late-night tour" for $90 per head.

If they took the late checkout, they still had to vacate their room by midnight, the night before their early-morning flight home.

Option was to pay more

"It's all-inclusive. Why am I going to pay more money? I have already paid for the all-inclusive," said Riediger.

The Sunwing/Signature vacation package leaves weekly from Vancouver, Edmonton and Calgary to Puerto Vallarta, and is advertised as an "8 day" vacation. (CBC)

One explanation they were given is that their first night — while they were flying — counted as a paid night in the hotel. However, they said they were not told that when they checked in early that morning.

"They [sunwing] are saying, 'Well, you know this is the situation, but for this amount of money you can get out of the situation.' I consider that an up-sell," said Lucas.

The "eight-day" Sunwing charter flights leave Vancouver, Edmonton and Calgary for Puerto Vallarta every Friday night, arriving early Saturday morning. They depart between 3 a.m. and 5:30 a.m. the following Sunday.

"The largest group of the people there was by far Canadians," said Lucas. "After the orientation, there were quite a few irate people in the lobby."

Joanne Wanhella of Nelson, B.C., was another traveller who slept in the lobby on the last night.

"This appeared to be a regular routine that the hotel sees weekly," Wanhella said. "The staff gave blankets out to the guests and then tried to discard these before the next Sunwing vacations guests came in."

Based on what a Sunwing phone representative told CBC News about these travel packages, it appears this was not an isolated incident.

1 night short

"Technically, it's a seven-night stay," a phone representative explained when we called inquiring about the weekly packages as a customer would. "Eight-day stay. Seven nights. You are staying in a room for seven nights. However it's an eight-day stay."

Vancouver travel agent Barry Chen tells Go Public reporter Kathy Tomlinson that if hotel check out times aren't clearly spelled out in a travel package, that should be a red flag. (CBC)

The representative clarified this only after repeated questioning. There is no reference to "seven nights" on Sunwing's website.

Lucas sent an email complaint to Sunwing, but said he received no response. Expedia apologized to him and gave the couple a $50 voucher for future travel.

Murray Mashford, a police officer from Saanich, B.C., who was on the same Sunwing charter with his four-year-old son, said he didn't go to orientation and didn't learn about the early checkout until his last day. He begrudgingly paid the extra $130 so his child could get some sleep.

Submit your story ideas:

Go Public is an investigative news segment on CBC TV, radio and the web.

We tell your stories and hold the powers-that-be accountable.

We want to hear from people across the country with stories they want to make public.

Submit your story ideas to Kathy Tomlinson at Go Public

"I think Sunwing Vacations should be ashamed of their dubious business practices," said Mashford. "Do they expect people with children to sleep on a bench somewhere, once they've kicked them out of their rooms?"

CBC News was also contacted by a Sunwing customer who travelled to Cancun, Mexico, a year ago — in January 2010 — and had a similar experience.

Julie Allen's documents from her booking agent state her Sunwing package included "eight nights." She later found out it was only seven and she also slept in the hotel lobby on her last night.

"Also, my friend was married in Cancun in April and experienced an identical problem," Allen said. "As it was a wedding, her father didn't want to make waves and agreed to pay the [extra] cost per room [for an extra night] for he and his wife, the newlyweds and her grandmother.

"It is clearly a case of false advertising on their vacation packages."

No response from Sunwing

CBC News left several messages with Sunwing and Signature Vacations — two companies that have merged — asking for a response, but received no reply.

Expedia did respond in an email, which said:

"We have looked into this issue further and can certainly sympathize with the inconvenience and of course, disappointment travellers experienced. Incorrect information was communicated by Sunwing/Signature to travel agencies, including Expedia, and was unfortunately the cause of this issue."

"[We] are following up with each Expedia customer affected to make sure this experience is set right with them. We are also following up with Sunwing/Signature Vacations to ensure this doesn't happen again."

By the way these packages are structured, Lucas said, it appears Sunwing could sell the same rooms to different customers — for the same nights.

After outgoing passengers who buy the "late checkout" leave at midnight, their room could be cleaned and given to incoming passengers who arrive early in the morning, and counted as their first paid hotel night.

"This has been going on for quite some time, I think, and they are doing it because they are making money," said Lucas.

Vancouver travel agent Barry Chen told CBC News that standard hotel check-in times are in the afternoon and checkout is usually noon or earlier. He said if the check-in and checkout times are not spelled out clearly, up front, that should be a red flag for any customer or booking agent.

"It's just a scam," said Chen. "To have to pay for something else when you are led to believe you have an all-inclusive … it's really taking advantage of people," Chen said.

"In the end, you are paying more than the advertised price."

I agree......bad Press but..................BUYER BEWARE.

Maybe we in the industry have a "leg-up" cause we do so much travelling but whenever I have purchased an ALL INCLUSIVE I check every way possible for possible clitches.

You would be surprised how many people DO NOT read their package and how many never do any research about 'their' airline or 'their resort' and possibly one of the mosty important items...the statistical weather for you vacation period.

I can't tell you the time pax were "not aware" that they had to pay a exit fee for the country they were in.

In one case I had to lend a mid 70's couple $60.00USA so they could get off the island...they had no cash and even though that info was in their travel package, they were not aware of the fee.

Remember the woman who attempted to sue AC for taking her to Cuba when on the 2nd day of her vacation she was in a hurricane????

However, I agree...seems like the TA really dropped the ball in this case as so many folks were affected.

http://www.carsurvey.org/air/

Not a good week for Sunwing.

Granted, many customers appear to be victims of Sunwing playing a fast and loose with the duration of their advertised holidays, and again, it appears they are consolidating loads and having all kinds of OTP issues, but it still surprises me that people who drop a couple of thousand on a vacation and won't fork out $130 to turn lemons into lemonade.

B)

But really it doesnt take a rocket scientist to look at an 8 day vacation vs a 7 day flight schedule to see that an issue will arise. This is plain and simple a cash grabbing technique. If you read the whole article you see where they consider the FLIGHT DOWN as a hotel stay. UMMMMM I think NOT.

What is happenning is that the hotel and tour operator are taking advantage of vacationers to grab the extra dough and getting it.

And yes many people do fork over a couple of grand for a vacation and alot budgeted accordingly and should NOT be expected to fork out another $130. I can see a lawsuit comming from this.

I don't get it. Scratch-Head.gif

These people are, apparently, being told they need to checkout at noon so that the rooms can be made ready for the next group that arrives at 5:00 AM the next day. Why not let them stay in the room until 2:00 AM before their flight and give the new bunch a 7 or 8:00 AM checkin? I know it's still technically a night short but by "investing" a short wait at the beginning of the week you could "earn" the good sleep before the long flight home.

If they leave on a Friday and return the next Sunday, they should be calling it a 9 day, 7 night vacation. When we travel from a Sunday to Sunday, it's usually called 8 days and 7 nights.

If this has been going on for a while, as the article states,I can't believe it's taken this long to make the press.

http://www.carsurvey.org/air/review_15752.html

This review is a beauty.

Some of these are starting to become reminiscent of Jetsgo reviews.

It's one thing to be an anonymous charter carrier operating out of Toronto. It's quite another when you are operating out of smaller communities like Kelowna.

The rule of 11's pretty much ensures that local opinion of Sunwing in the Okanagan will be about the same as a truckload of canned Rougemont apple juice arriving at the local Safeway.

B)

• 3 weeks later...

It seems like their business practices are suspect here. Unexplained diversions schedule changes etc.

My BIGGEST peeve is when youa re not told the truth. Just f#$%^@ tell me the real reason forthe delay not some BS story that I will find out is a lie anyway. Have some freakin respect will ya the general public is not as stupid as it may seem. If the plane is broken then call it a mechanical problem. 'Nuff said. If its weather then tell us its weather but believe me I will fire up my blackberry and check. if the plane had to divert then tell us that too.

How hard is it to make an announcement that says "Ladies and Gentlemen the inbound flight had to make an unscheduled stop in (INSERT CITY HERE) for (INSERT REASON HERE) there will be a (INSERT WORST CASE SCENARIO HERE) delay. We will endeavour to minimize this delay to the best of our ability"

Fine plane had to stop our delay could be UP TO X hours long.

This way if the plane actualy departs BEFORE the Worst case scenario, the company is perceived as having gone above and beyond to minimize the delay even though they actually did nothing. The passengers were all distracted by the TRUTH of the story.

Funny that the truth works....

• 3 weeks later...

More passenger reviews from Sunwing. If this outfit plans to be around for the longterm, they are going to have to take significant steps to eliminate these recurring issues. Other than JetsGo, I do not recall any airline in Canada that has suffered from this sort of reputation.

B)

SUNWING AIRLINES customer review : 6 February 2011 by B Darabiha (Canada)

Trip Rating : 0/10

Recommended:

Value for Money:

Cabin Flown:

Economy

Toronto to Varadero. The flight was not bad even though return had 2 hours delay. What I found absolutely unacceptable with Sunwing is that if you have any problem after the trip you can't reach them. We had complaints which I will not mention because this will not be published. They rudely ignore any complain, ignore emails and phone messages, put you on hold for hours, and generally completely change face and intentionally behave rudely to make you go away. If you are unlucky and something happens, do not expect any customer relationship from Sunwing. I will never fly with them again and consider Sunwing's handling of the after trip problems absolutely disgusting.

SUNWING AIRLINES customer review : 6 February 2011 by Donna Campbell (Canada)

Trip Rating : 1/10

Recommended:

Value for Money:

Cabin Flown:

Premium Economy

I had a twelve hour delay on my return home. For the first two hours, after our flight was scheduled to leave, we were told every ten minutes it would be another ten minutes. This kept everyone hovering near the departure gate. Then they gave 2 one-hour delays, before announcing a food voucher and 3 four-hour delays. I was in that airport for fifteen hours and after 1000pm the airport closed their services and they had the water turned off in the washrooms. I kept my husband informed of the first delays, but in the middle of the night, the website said we were arriving at 0515 am, but when he arrived at the airport (after a 1 hour drive), he was told it would be 7:30 am. The Arrivals board was wrong in the Edmonton airport and on their website. Someone from Sunwing should have been giving them the correct information and the passengers should have been delayed at their hotels instead of in the airport, since Sunwing knew of the mechanical problems well before our departure time. They should also consider having a back-up airplane for these situations. Twelve hour delays are unacceptable.

SUNWING AIRLINES customer review : 29 January 2011 by Michelle Dallyn (Canada)

Recommended:

Value for Money:

Cabin Flown:

Economy

Direct flight from Calgary to Puerto Vallarta - had to stop over at Mazitlan deplane get bags, go through customs, get bags again, go through security and back on same plane. Paid for the Elite package (extra $50each) even though not once did it give us what it promised - a total rip-off. We weren't expedited through check-in, we didn't get our booked seats. 5hr flight back direct - took us a total of 16hrs as we were 3hrs delayed at PV and then put in a holding cell in Mazitlan for 3hrs (no food or water until we forced the issue) and then flown to Vancouver for a new flight crew, our third that day. The only thing I can say that was positive was that the staff out of Mexico were great.

SUNWING AIRLINES customer review : 26 January 2011 by Don Koldingnes (Canada)

Recommended:

Value for Money:

Cabin Flown:

Economy

It was supposed to be a 5 hour direct flight but it turned into a 16 hour flight with 2 lay overs. From the check in counter to all 3 crew teams, no one had the same story as to why the flight had been changed. We missed our connecting flight home and Sunwing has yet to do anything, not even an apology. Never again.

SUNWING AIRLINES customer review : 24 January 2011 by Reimar Gautsch (Canada)

Trip Rating : 4/10

Recommended:

Value for Money:

Cabin Flown:

Economy

Vancouver-Cancun return. Older, used planes, but in good shape. Never seen a plane with such a cramped interior. Minimum seat legroom, no room in the front or back to stand for a while. Overhead compartments used for storage, too. TV monitors not in the seats, every fourth row on the ceiling and small. And why they serve the meal always together with showing the film? Got a sip of champagne and good service, but only for the outbound flight. The return was an adventure: Asked for an aisle seat (no online check in possible from Mexico - very inconvenient), the person on the counter in Cancun tried to sell me a seat with extra legroom (40$ extra), then I got a window seat. They changed gates without announcing then the plane was overfilled with fuel. Delay in total: 2.5 hours plus 6.5 hours flight time = 9 hours - with 6' 2" I felt like a fish in a can, the worst flight I ever had. Only a couple excuses, always talking about the delay in minutes and crew was stressed. The first and the last flight with Sunwing, for sure!

SUNWING AIRLINES customer review : 18 January 2011 by K Dong (Canada)

Trip Rating : 5/10

Recommended:

Value for Money:

Cabin Flown:

Economy

Vancouver-Cancun. Good price, but you get what you pay for. Old plane with very limited legroom. Crew's luggage share the same compartment with customers. Outbound flight, seats were not properly cleaned. On the way back, crew member was not very friendly, service was very slow. Only one meal was served for the 7 hour flight (Cancun-Calgary-Vancouver). At the later part of the flight, we were starving. When asking for a can of coke, the member declined say it would left the rest of the travelers without.

SUNWING AIRLINES customer review : 3 January 2011 by A Moore (Canada)

Recommended:

Value for Money:

Cabin Flown:

Economy

Punta Cana to Toronto. The crew was rude in general, and the fact that a coughing person had to ask 3 times and wait for almost a half hour just to get some water was unacceptable! There were serious problems with the service management of this flight.

SUNWING AIRLINES customer review : 17 December 2010 by S Plyshevski (Canada)

Trip Rating : 5/10

Recommended:

Value for Money:

Cabin Flown:

Economy

Toronto to Cozumel return. We purchased vacation package on Cozumel with Sunwing Vacations. That was a direct flight to/from Cozumel. In a week after that we got the e-mail stating that the return flight has been changed as Cozumel-Jamaica-Toronto which added 3 hours to our return time. They stated that there was no option to cancel or to be compensated. That was inconvenient because we live on Ottawa and after 5 hrs drive from Toronto we could not work Monday morning. Inflight service outbound was adequate and we got a breakfast and 25 grams of champagne. On the way back there was no champagne, no tea, no coffee, and the meals, adequate for 3.5 hrs flight - was not enough for staying 7.5 hours in the plane. Seat pitch was OK. Garbage everywhere. During the layout in Jamaica, the grooming team entered the plane and required passengers to grab all garbage around their seats and give it to them. On the way back there was almost no chance to go to the washroom. After service the plane entered turbulence and we were required to “fasten the belts” till landing.

SUNWING AIRLINES customer review : 14 December 2010 by Vivienne Siddall (Canada)

Trip Rating : 9/10

Recommended:

Value for Money:

Cabin Flown:

Economy

My daughter and I recently flew SunWing for a week in Cancun from Vancouver. The crew were extremely pleasant, friendly and willing to please. The champagne flight was a lovely way to start a vacation. Keep up the great service.

SUNWING AIRLINES customer review : 9 November 2010 by Michelle Atefi (Canada)

Recommended:

Value for Money:

Cabin Flown:

Economy

Toronto to Cuba. Although the only part of the Sunwing service that we did like was the inflight service we would never fly with Sunwing again because of the overall experience. We decided to "save some time" and book our seats 12 hours before, using the online web check-in. We could not access the seat selection for at least 3 hours within this 12 hour time frame. We were finally able to book our seats and print boarding passes. We were under the impression that our check-in would be expedited by doing this process, but not so - we were still in a lengthy line up and then when we finally got to the counter, we did not get the seats that we booked online and were given 2 different seats with no new boarding passes - the agent just said tell the flight attendants our new seats and the reason for the change was because of "aircraft reconfiguration". To add insult to injury we were required to also weigh our cabin luggage which put us over 3kg according to the scale and we had to pay $60. I know we were under the allowable weight of 20kg each on the checked-in luggage and have never had to weigh cabin baggage before this. Why is the policy different in Cuba? We did not have our cabin baggage weighed, only checked luggage and it was fine. Sunwing representative at the Paradisus Princesa Del Mar resort was very abrupt and said the only way we could book our seats for the trip back was if we paid money. The same 12 hour rule apparently does not apply for return flights? Why bother having a website Sunwing?

I guess the short and the long of it is if you go cheap, you get cheap.

I guess AC pilots must be a cheap gang as many of them and families uses Sunwing for their vacation plans. I guess they feel Sunwing is as safe as their own company. Why would they fly with them if it was not for a safe and affordable vacation?

Not sure why you are brining up SAFETY? The complaints are all about service and reflect what I said, Go Cheap, Get Cheap.

Malcom,

The reason I did is simply that some posters are trying to tie Sunwing with Jetsgo. In doing so, one could be lead to believe that issues exist outside customer service and it isn’t so.

IMHO

Malcom,

The reason I did is simply that some posters are trying to tie Sunwing with Jetsgo. In doing so, one could be lead to believe that issues exist outside customer service and it isn’t so.

IMHO

No one has ever suggested there is a safety issue with Sunwing.

The issue that ties them to Jetsgo is their consistent pattern of customer service problems. They can not expect to successfully operate in the relatively tiny Canadian marketplace in the long term with such a grim track record of repetitous complaints.

True, most Sunwing customers have a satisfactory experience. They would not be in business, period, if everyone had a crap experience. However, it doesn't take very much to cause fatal consumer resistance to an airline product. For example, to my knowledge, there's never been a sched carrier in North America that has survived with less than a 94% completion factor. 94% flights can operate, but if 6% don't, statistically speaking, that airline will fail.

I visited some friends staying at property in the Caribbean last week and snooped long enough to take a look at the charter desk where the various tour operators leave their info books and departure info.

The poor Sunwing guests arrived from YYZ at the property at 2am in the morning, (but paid for the night), and had a 4:45am bus departure to the airport on their last day. Sure, they paid less, but the flight times screwed up 2 days of their 7 day holiday, (assuming they operated on-time in the first place and didn't do an unscheduled double drop).

Compare that to a sched carrier I flew with where I arrived at the hotel around 4pm, in time for a judicious number of dark and stormys prior to dinner and on departure day had a leisurely morning at the beach, lunch at the hotel and was tucked in bed dreaming of warmer climes in Toronto by 10pm local.

Malcolm is correct. If you go cheap, you get cheap. It's false economy.

Thats fine and good. The details are there BEFORE the flight leaves the origin station for the vacation. They have been read and agreed to.

NOW

I get to the airport for my 8:00am departure..... Then there is a 10 minute delay....then another...... then the plane is late inbound so will be another hour......... then the Agent outright lies to the customers about the circumstances of the delay (this is a recurring theme in the complaints)

Plane finally departs 2:20 min late changing the arrival time at the airport significantly. Day 1 blown...

Off to make the best of the rest of the vacation...sea....sand....sun....

NOW

last day of vacation. Prepared for a leisurely day on the beach and some food at the hotel before heading out for the Airport just after noon when the agent at the hotel indicates that the plane will be delayed 4 hours as it must stop in (insert City Here) en route. Then taken to the airport for the delayed flight only to find out it is further delayed for (insert made up excuse here)

Plane finally departs at 9:30 pm and passengers are then informed that a tech stop is required in (insert city here) and will further delay their arrival. Finally arrive home 4:00 am on Sunday.

IS THIS WHAT WAS PAID FOR AND AGREED TO BEFORE THE VACATION COMMENCED??????

As I said, no excuse for bad service but no airline with a limited fleet is immune to IROPS. So when shopping for a vacation it is always wise to, in this era of information overload, to research the carrier in advance and in particular to goggle ....." insert airline service complaints"..... to do otherwise is just plain lazy.

However that been said all INTERNET research must be taken with a grain or two of salt.

For example, if one was to completely believe what one finds on the internet..... Westjet would not be a good choice based on the following:

Link to Westjet Ratings

....and yet WJ's rating is considerably higher than the only other Cdn - based airline rated on the site.

I thought the review that said, "being seniors we had to get up several times to stretch and use bathrooms which were so small you could hardly move" was particularly useful. Perhaps their last trip via air was on one of the more successful Hindenburg rotations, where, I'm told, there was plenty of space to walk around and lavish restroom facilities.

After reading a couple of pages of the complaints from this site, (and complaints regarding a variety of airlines), it's pretty obvious this particular site seems to attract a peculiar, and not tremendously sophisticated or experienced clientele.

Most of the complaints are more of the "do you know who I am?" variety. It's great entertainment, but provides very little evidence of systemic problems. It's sort of the airline equivilent of those "candid photos from Wal Mart" sites.

I was waiting to read the complaint from Jethro and Edna Clampett complaining the microphone in the F/A call button didn't work when they yelled their drink orders into the PSU.

B)

Almost as good as this one about Air Canada:

WORST CUSTOMER SERVICE EVER!!! MY BAGS WERE SUPPOSED TO BE DELIVERED A DAY AND A HALF AGO, NO ONE WILL PROVIDE WITH ME WITH ANY INFORMATION. PEOPLE GIVE ME INFORMATION JUST TO GET ME OFF THE PHONE. THE EMPLOYEES ARE INCOMPETENT, AND WORST GOVERNMENT EMPLOYEES TO EVER EXIST. NEVER WILL I EVER FLY WITH AIR CANADA OR THROUGH TORONTO EVER IN MY LIFE. I HOPE THEY FACE A HUGE LAWSUIT AND FAIL THEIR CARRIERS. AMAZING.

or this one:

Our flight was delayed in Las Vegas and then didn't land in Toronto detoured to Ottawa. Refueled in Ottawa sat on the runway for 2 hours.

(I wonder what his complaint would have sounded like if the crew had landed during the thunderstorm?)

I have said it here before. JUST TELL THE DAMN TRUTH. We are all adults and can tell when we are being lied to. IRROPS happen...I get that but when they do tell us whats going on. The other problem is the NON IRROPS deviations. When the flights are consolidated to save money causing a stopover that wasn't on the original itinerary. People are only made aware of this at departure time "Oh by the way, your 4 hour flight is now 8 hours as we need to stop in (insert name here)" The main reason this is done is due to both flights being undersold. It saves the airline money at the expense of PO'd passengers.

The main reason this is done is due to both flights being undersold. It saves the airline money at the expense of PO'd passengers.

If it saves the airline money it also saves the passengers money. If an airline made it a policy to never consolidate flights it would need to raise the average price for every ticket by a small amount to compensate. You kinda hope it's someone else's flight that gets consolidated rather than yours but you never know.

If it saves the airline money it also saves the passengers money. If an airline made it a policy to never consolidate flights it would need to raise the average price for every ticket by a small amount to compensate. You kinda hope it's someone else's flight that gets consolidated rather than yours but you never know.

As much as I've heard the stories, I have never seen any evidence of any sched airline in Canada consolidating flights, except, perhaps, during short term periods of intense, ongoing bad weather. Aircraft are rarely closed cycled which would allow this to occur with minimal impact, assuming both legs were empty, which is rarely the case.

Charter carriers do it fairly regularly, much to the chagrin of their customers, and make no mistake about it, their customers do not like it.

It's music to my ears everytime I see evidence of Sunwing consolidating yet another flight due to sub par loads. Sure, it's better than flying empty aircraft around, but double drop flights are also a guaranteed money loser.

B)

Guest flywest

It's music to my ears everytime I see evidence of Sunwing consolidating yet another flight due to sub par loads. Sure, it's better than flying empty aircraft around, but double drop flights are also a guaranteed money loser.

B)

Between us (SWG), Porter, and the occosional jab at AC, I've never seen someone take so much pleasure in the misfortunes of others....

Between us (SWG), Porter, and the occosional jab at AC, I've never seen someone take so much pleasure in the misfortunes of others....

Unfortunately, it seems to be the underlying theme on this forum. Just have to look at the Porter Layoff rumour or the WestJet 757 threads to illustrate the attitude (of some) around here. Even the slightest thought of some other companies' misfortune or mismanagement brings the sharks into the shallows. Does the company you work for really define your profession? Is it possible to exist as a pilot, flight attendant, dispatcher or engineer without having to align to a company?

Archived