The Musical Video Thread

fenderbender;

If you haven't, you should pick up the DVD for David Gilmour's final 2006 concert in the Gdansk shipyard, which is where your clip comes from. I bought the 5 disc boxed set on the first release date and I was not disappointed. The DVD from Royal Albert Hall on the same tour is also a must have for Gilmour / PF fans.

Here's David playing Marooned, his best instrumental work, IMO. He's playing Strat # 00001 at the Fender 50th anniversary tribute at Wembley Arena. Being that it's the first Strat and has been unmodified since birth, the intonation is a little off but it doesn't take away from his playing ability in the least.

• Replies 73
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Best rock band going today IMO created by an amazing musician - drums, guitar and bass.

J.O. I have every single CD, DVD or Record Pink Floyd or David Gilmour has ever put out. You can say im a little fanatic when it comes to them. He got me interested in playing the guitar in the first place. That my friend is an awesome song as well. Thanks for posting it. Merry Christmas all.

Im sure I have posted this as well before but for those that haven't seen it. Here you go!

I will add a couple. Eagles live Hotel California.

A truly great tune by an amazing collection of musicians. I saw them perform live at the Forum in Montreal in the late 70's when the record was released. I lost count of how many guitars were sitting on the stage behind them. Don Henley has a standard higher than most when it comes to performing and producing music. So for me it was hard to understand why they would fire the guy who started writing "Hotel California" for them and made the band uber-famous.

A good holiday read for all music fans and guitar players is Don Felder's "Heaven and Hell: My Life in the Eagles" and you can make your own assessment of the story.

And from the other guy playing the hard parts, a Joe who can old his own on small and big stages.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dzxF-M2erx8&NR=1&feature=fvwp

Thanks for the video.....great version!

bd

Edited by blues deville

Did you pay $800 to see "The Wall" in YVR? Im a little embarrassed to admit that. :) 6th row floor though. Well worth it.

:o Please tell me that was for 4 of you? ....I thought a friend of mine was crazy, he paid $1,000 for himself, his wife and two kids to see Roger Waters in Toronto. I had trouble understanding that one... I mean, if Gilmour was there, maybe.... but he said he was glad he'd done it and he'd do it again. :scratchchin:

The best Floyd value i ever experienced was when they took over the old canadian hanger for a month in the 80's

At the beginning i was allowed to walk around and talk with the boys,but soon the word got out and that stopped

Still pretty cool to have seen the greatest rock band ever up and personal and the work it takes to put on a tour

If Gilmore and Waters ever reunited for a show i'd be there ,its only money

I was lucky enough to have seen the dark side of the moon tour at the Aud in Buffalo,my first floyd concert

Bought tickets from a scalper,they were floors,10 rows back from the stage

The best Floyd value i ever experienced was when they took over the old canadian hanger for a month in the 80's

At the beginning i was allowed to walk around and talk with the boys,but soon the word got out and that stopped

Still pretty cool to have seen the greatest rock band ever up and personal and the work it takes to put on a tour

If Gilmore and Waters ever reunited for a show i'd be there ,its only money

I was lucky enough to have seen the dark side of the moon tour at the Aud in Buffalo,my first floyd concert

Bought tickets from a scalper,they were floors,10 rows back from the stage

Yes that would have been when they took over the Air Canada hangar in YYZ for rehersals for the "Momentary Lapse of Reason" tour back in 1987. You are very luck to have seen that. My only chance was in 1994 in YVR for the "Division Bell" tour. It's really too bad music like that isn't made anymore.

Yes that would have been when they took over the Air Canada hangar in YYZ for rehersals for the "Momentary Lapse of Reason" tour back in 1987. You are very luck to have seen that. My only chance was in 1994 in YVR for the "Division Bell" tour. It's really too bad music like that isn't made anymore.

I think we can thank the format of choice by mainstream consumers and the recording industries support (mp3's m4p's, iTunes, iPods, etc...) for the current direction music has gone in.

How is the media used responsible for someone's taste in music?

Perhaps my observation is more directed at the younger folks who have typically been the largest consumers of pop/rock music for the last 50 years and how they are exposed to those choices whether it be radio, tv or internet. It seems to me that in the past, singles or 45's appeared to be a primary driver of pop music and were failry limited in terms of how long a song could be. When the industry shifted to albums as a predominant format, there was more opportunity to vary the length of songs and the artist could then start considering what you could do with approximately 40-50 minutes worth of music. This platform held through to CD's. But the argument that the format dictates the length of song falls apart with the switch to electronic media as you could have an infinite length of recording to work with. Instead, the industry stayed with the standard 3-5 minute song (radio issues perhaps) and the marketing shifted back to the 45 era by having single songs available for purchase. It seems that artists/labels are equally concentrating on producing singles for iTunees as they are full CD/album length works. This is all my perception and I am sure there are stats/facts available that could argue against every obersvation I have made, but that's how I see it.

It's the 35th anniversary of "Frampton Comes Alive". This is the the album that changed the way I listen to music. From the point that I first heard that album (played it from beginning to end with the headphones cranked), my preferred way to hear my favourite music was either live or on a live record. There's something about the energy of a crowd that makes the musical experience more complete. Guess that's why Ticketmaster has so much of my money. whistling.gif

There's an interview with Peter Frampton available here: In The Studio

It's the 35th anniversary of "Frampton Comes Alive". This is the the album that changed the way I listen to music. From the point that I first heard that album (played it from beginning to end with the headphones cranked), my preferred way to hear my favourite music was either live or on a live record. There's something about the energy of a crowd that makes the musical experience more complete. Guess that's why Ticketmaster has so much of my money. whistling.gif

Another anniversary: "Live at Leeds" is 40 years old.

It's quite something seeing Frampton now, compared to the old days with all that hair.

This video shows it pretty well...and demonstrates that he hasn't lost his touch;

http://vodpod.com/watch/772354-peter-frampton-lines-on-my-face-from-live-in-detroit

• 4 weeks later...