More strip searches

W5

The regulations are part of the government’s efforts to stem the tide of illegal drugs being smuggled into Canada by organized crime.
“Some individuals with unrestricted access to secure areas of airports and marine terminals, such as mechanics, baggage handlers and longshoremen . . . are suspected to be involved in internal conspiracies,”

I though the airport security show was intended to influence the public's perceptions of security on aircraft and at airports? Has their mandate been expanded to the war on drugs? What's next? Maybe a full background check, and full arrest if your parking tickets are unpaid? There seems to be a huge disconnect between the policy makers and actual airport needs.

If security is what they are worried about, I am sure they can find bigger holes in their safety nets then the ones being addressed by full body searches.

With fuel prices on the rise (and the airlines on the verge of adding a fuel surcharges), second luggage fees and full strip searches, I wonder how long before we see a reduction in demand for air travel. Taken individually, many of these issues seem trivial but add them together and the case for a via rail ticket to on a route such as YUL-YYZ become a very interesting alternative to air travel.

Éric

This isn't an airport security initiative, it's CBSA (Customs). There's an unfortunate history in our industry of a small number of ramp employees who have been involved in drug smuggling. Maybe they're thinking that if they did a few searches once in a while, just the threat of being strip searched at work would help to slow down the flow.

My wife and I recently had an interesting (?) departure to Cuba from Montreal: When we got to the security check point, my wife was singled out for a "more thorough" examination of her carry-on. Needless to say, she was carrying lots of goodies for her Cuban friends. The security lady who wanted to see everything, and I mean everything in her monstrous carry-on started off by asking her "How much money are you carrying?" My wife, bless her heart, took umbrage at the question and replied "none of your business". Thus, she was subject to a very thorough inspection, for pissing off the inspector! :dueling:

I wondered about the question, and so I spoke with the GSC (supervisor) and after identifying myself as one who regularily conducts TSA screenings, as per what authority the screener has to ask that question. Interestingly enough, he replied that CBSA had asked them to do it. If they discovered more than the regulated amount permitted, they are required to call for a CBSA officer to detain the passenger pending making a written declaration regarding exportation of currency, and also possible sanctions for making a false declaration to a CATSA inspector. :018:

Now, I have the greatest respect for these CATSA employees that have the option of making our lives somewhat difficult and even deny us boarding, apart from touching us up :shhh:, But I have a problem with this when they appear to have become an extension of our highly trained CBSA, given the length of training and the calibre of personnel that appear to have been inducted into this lowly paid work.

Anyone else have thoughts on this?

IMVHO,

HH

My wife and I recently had an interesting (?) departure to Cuba from Montreal: When we got to the security check point, my wife was singled out for a "more thorough" examination of her carry-on. Needless to say, she was carrying lots of goodies for her Cuban friends. The security lady who wanted to see everything, and I mean everything in her monstrous carry-on started off by asking her "How much money are you carrying?" My wife, bless her heart, took umbrage at the question and replied "none of your business". Thus, she was subject to a very thorough inspection, for pissing off the inspector! dueling.gif

I wondered about the question, and so I spoke with the GSC (supervisor) and after identifying myself as one who regularily conducts TSA screenings, as per what authority the screener has to ask that question. Interestingly enough, he replied that CBSA had asked them to do it. If they discovered more than the regulated amount permitted, they are required to call for a CBSA officer to detain the passenger pending making a written declaration regarding exportation of currency, and also possible sanctions for making a false declaration to a CATSA inspector. 018.gif

Now, I have the greatest respect for these CATSA employees that have the option of making our lives somewhat difficult and even deny us boarding, apart from touching us up shhh.gif, But I have a problem with this when they apear to have become an extension of our highly trained CBSA, given the length of training and the calibre of personnel that appear to have been inducted into this lowly paid work.

Anyone else have thoughts on this?

The regulation concerning taking money out of, or bringing money into Canada, states in part............

....................there are no restrictions on the amount of money that you can bring into or take out of Canada, nor is it illegal to do so. However, you now have to report to a customs officer amounts equal to or greater than CAN$10,000 that you are bringing into or taking out of Canada....................

The problem as I see it is that you were leaving Canada and I think if you had dug your heels in and asked for documentation with respect to Customs now asking TSA to gather that info you may have missed your flight.rolleyes.gif

Puts you in a difficult spot but I know if I had the time, I would have probably asked the TSA agent if they were a qualified Customs officer...they would have replied "No" and then I would probably state, "Then I guess you will never know....unless you get a Customs officer to come over here".

We all know you cannot win with Security and Customs and the leverage they have when you want to leave on a flight, especially a charter down south is phenomenal.

Still, being who I am, and had I gone through what you went through, I would be sending a letter to CBSA and asking for proof of the procedure now being used in YUL........

Say could you do that now ??? I'm heading down to an island for a month in mid Feb Grin-Nod.gifGrin-Nod.gif

I think the terrorist have already won. The amount spent on anti-terrorism measures seem to outweigh the threat. And anyone with half a brain can see the holes in the present security systems. When you start down the path of trying to achieve a perfect security, sometimes you miss the big picture.

It would be interesting to check out the numbers of the cost allocation per passenger seat mile for security versus the cost allocation for maintenance. There are way more airplanes falling out of the sky due to maintenance mistakes or even pilot errors then their are terrorist attempts.

Aviation expert Art Griego discusses TSA patdown procedures on a US national radio talkshow.

An interesting point of view. It starts about 2mins in.

https://www.yousendi...BQ3RrUmxjR0E9PQ

cool.gif

Aviation expert?? He does not even use his real name... The radio host mentioned that he was a "commercial pilot". Griego says he went TSA when he retired and then formed his own security company....

Need more information...go here

http://anonymous-captain.blogspot.com/

h

Note the photo.....Pilot cap and 3 stripes..Captains wear 4 stripes

Note the photo....Now has 4 stripes but Cap braid is not visible..looks like a photoshop of someone near 1L on a DC8

Run down this page and see the award he received (There is no such Society listed via any INet search engine) and further, he makes mention that he will put the award next to the award he received from..... Consortium for Regulated Aviation Professionals .Can't find a word about this group either.

I think this guy is really "out to lunch" and I wouldn't believe a word he says or writes

I suffered through 31 minutes and then turned the "looney" off.

I think the terrorist have already won. The amount spent on anti-terrorism measures seem to outweigh the threat. And anyone with half a brain can see the holes in the present security systems. When you start down the path of trying to achieve a perfect security, sometimes you miss the big picture.

It would be interesting to check out the numbers of the cost allocation per passenger seat mile for security versus the cost allocation for maintenance. There are way more airplanes falling out of the sky due to maintenance mistakes or even pilot errors then their are terrorist attempts.

Imagine that 99% of the human race that flies is disgusting to look at, also some of us have small pox, wow!!!!! and some have scabies, holy crow, how has the American public survived all these years!!!!! If this guy is indicative of the people running the TSA, it is no wonder the system is so screwed!

Imagine that 99% of the human race that flies is disgusting to look at, also some of us have small pox, wow!!!!! and some have scabies, holy crow, how has the American public survived all these years!!!!! If this guy is indicative of the people running the TSA, it is no wonder the system is so screwed!

It's a spoof. He did one about kamikaze birds attacking airplanes at LAX a while back. Or maybe it was airplanes attacking innocent birds, can't quite remember :Scratch-Head:

The regulation concerning taking money out of, or bringing money into Canada, states in part............

....................there are no restrictions on the amount of money that you can bring into or take out of Canada, nor is it illegal to do so. However, you now have to report to a customs officer amounts equal to or greater than CAN$10,000 that you are bringing into or taking out of Canada....................

The problem as I see it is that you were leaving Canada and I think if you had dug your heels in and asked for documentation with respect to Customs now asking TSA to gather that info you may have missed your flight.rolleyes.gif

Puts you in a difficult spot but I know if I had the time, I would have probably asked the TSA agent if they were a qualified Customs officer...they would have replied "No" and then I would probably state, "Then I guess you will never know....unless you get a Customs officer to come over here".

We all know you cannot win with Security and Customs and the leverage they have when you want to leave on a flight, especially a charter down south is phenomenal.

Still, being who I am, and had I gone through what you went through, I would be sending a letter to CBSA and asking for proof of the procedure now being used in YUL........

Say could you do that now ??? I'm heading down to an island for a month in mid Feb Grin-Nod.gifGrin-Nod.gif

Actually, Kip, I'm meeting with my local CBSA Superintendant this Friday. I'll run it by her and let you know.

Cheers!

HH B)

You're not the first one to have been fooled by Hendrie's cast of characters......

It's amazing to watch him in action via his live web feed as he broadcasts his show.

:cool:

I have to tip my hat to a great gag, he had me hook line and sinker, my Mrs was going to google the guy so she could tear him a new one, I think I will wait a while to let her know it was a gag,LOL :P

I have to tip my hat to a great gag, he had me hook line and sinker, my Mrs was going to google the guy so she could tear him a new one, I think I will wait a while to let her know it was a gag,LOL :P

If the Mrs was going to tear him a new one over that interview, have her listen to Phil interviewing Jay Santos of the California Citizen's Auxiliary Patrol who are assisting the TSA in conducting patdowns....

https://www.yousendit.com/download/cEd2S3hha0RGR0UwTVE9PQ

B)

Archived