Do you use public wifi???

Kip Powick

I would suggest that those that travel.........take care !!!!

There is a FireFox extension called "FireSheep" that allows the user to hijack the WiFi connection of others logged into websites, even those that they believe are secure.

It's a real threat for those using public WiFi. You can search Google for more information on FireSheep, but below is a link to a YouTube video that explains it pretty well.

No such thing as SafariSheep! Dancing-Chilli.gif

You've misunderstood the threat; the bad guy uses "Firesheep" as an addon to his Firefox browser to access your info no matter what browser you are using. I looks to me like it's only a problem for Youtube, Facebook, Twitter etc. (none of which I use!) and only if you're not using a https website and not using a VPN. All financial websites are https so there's no threat of losing your money although your facebook page could be changed - horrors!

This firesheep exploit is rather specific in what it can do, but the effects are far raching. For instance surfing AEF or most other forums are potential exploits. Basically any site that does not use SSL (Secure Socket Layer) - or other types for web browser security - is vulnerable.

Not all Wifi is vulnerable. Secured wifi, like corporate and most home networks, are not available to this exploit. Wifi netwroks that are available will show as unsecured in the wireless network properties.

You've misunderstood the threat; the bad guy uses "Firesheep" as an addon to his Firefox browser to access your info no matter what browser you are using.

You're right, I did misunderstand. Guess I'll avoid using the free wifi at Starbucks from now on and stick with 3G.

Archived