Petraeus: Taliban want to surennder

thinair

I was leafing through the NP today and came across this on the BACK page. Shouldn't this be headline news front and center!? I have family there.

To quote one of my favorite old movies, 12 O'Clock High" I'm confused...so I'm going to get drunk and stay drunk until I'm not confused anymore"(refering of course to the many young boys thst he knew who died in battle for what seemed to him at the time, to be an unwinable effort.

Kip, Don, Mitch, Dagger, Bean? Anyone have a lucid answer?

Petraeus: Taliban want to surrender

Comments

TwitterLinkedInDiggBuzzEmail.Agence France- Presse · Wednesday, Sept. 29, 2010

The commander of NATO troops in Afghanistan said the Taliban are approaching the Afghan government and foreign forces about laying down their arms. U.S. General David Petraeus, pictured, commands more than 150,000 NATO and U.S. troops in Afghanistan. He said many small insurgent groups had already made "overtures" to NATO forces. NATO supported efforts by Hamid Karzai, the Afghan President, to open peace talks with Taliban leaders and, in some cases, had helped the process along. "This is an Afghan government endeavour," he added, referring to the twin-track program of reconciliation and reintegration, sponsored by the Western allies with a US$200-million trust fund to help pay local communities bring fighters in from the cold.

Tools

-+ Change text size

Print

.Related Topics

David Petraeus

Hamid Karzai

Afghan Politics

Afghanistan War

NATO..Get the National

Read more: http://www.nationalpost.com/Petraeus+Taliban+want+surrender/3594024/story.html#ixzz10zFp29UB

This is the problem. The "Leadership" do no necessarily speak for the masses that are out there fighting. While there may be a large contingent willing to talk, there will always be those that disagree with those in charge. That is when we end up with splinter groups that take on the war all by them selves and they tend to be the most dangerous ones.

Archived