The Banning Of woxof

FireFox

Hi folks. In a nutshell, slander is the oral communication of false statements that are harmful to a person's reputation. It is an act of communication that causes someone to be shamed, ridiculed, held in contempt, lowered in the estimation of the community or to lose employment status, earnings, or otherwise suffer a damaged reputation. I’m no lawyer but it seems you would have show reasonable people reasonable grounds that you suffered a loss (in other words damage) to substantiate the claim. Further more, if the statements are true, or seen by reasonable people to be true, it doesn’t qualify as slander.

On an anonymous form I would argue that the standard is even higher. Anonymity grants you even more insulation from the effects of slander. Is that your real name? No one really knows. Just because you say it is doesn’t make it so. Is my last name Hunter, first name Wolf or is it a nickname based on long range shooting prowess from my army days? You will never know unless I tell you and, for a variety of reasons, I don’t plan to do that.

In closing, I would also take note of the source. Everyday comments from a person seen as something of a provocative goof might require a higher threshold as well. That does not mean I think he is a goof. I simply ignore most (actually all) of what he has to say. As a result of that alone, I submit that your claim of “damage” appears even weaker. Cheers

Bottom line---you are not accurate in your "nutshell" definition of the law of defamation. Just one example---damages are presumed when one is defamed in their occupation. I'm not offering legal advice; just suggesting that one should be cautious in extracting information from google searches and presenting the result as a "principle of law".

Very much misinformation. We do not know anyone's real names nor have access to your personal information. :018: This is against the Privacy Act of Canada!

Why do you say that the Privacy Act prohibits access to the names of participants on this forum? Just curious because I've often heard people say something similar in relation to provincial legislation.

Why do you say that the Privacy Act prohibits access to the names of participants on this forum? Just curious because I've often heard people say something similar in relation to provincial legislation.

What the law says is not necessarily relevant unless you have the money and time to defend your rights in court. It is foolish to believe that because the law prohibits something that it isn't possible. I have seen (first hand), a large corporation getting access to the names and detailed information about posters on a forum. The corporation just needs to have their lawyers write up charges and threaten the owner of the forum with litigation. The forum owner now has to choose between giving access and defending himself in court against lawyers who are on retainer and can drag the proceedings on for quite a long time.

The legislation might be there but there are always method to get around the rules...

What the law says is not necessarily relevant unless you have the money and time to defend your rights in court. It is foolish to believe that because the law prohibits something that it isn't possible. I have seen (first hand), a large corporation getting access to the names and detailed information about posters on a forum. The corporation just needs to have their lawyers write up charges and threaten the owner of the forum with litigation. The forum owner now has to choose between giving access and defending himself in court against lawyers who are on retainer and can drag the proceedings on for quite a long time.

The legislation might be there but there are always method to get around the rules...

This, our confrontational system, in a nutshell. He who shouts loudest, wins. "Loud" = $$$

• 2 weeks later...

Yes it's fair to say that the Woxof has ruffled a few feathers over the years (mine included), but he's been allowed to state his opinions unheeded on here for several years. I am not privy to what took place in this particular instance, but I think I know enough about our hosts to know that if someone has had their posting privileges removed, the forum rules must have been clearly violated. It's their playground and if we don't play by their rules, we can expect to be sent home. Asking them to lay out all the dirty details is more than a little unfair, IMHO. We are not the forum police writ large. We need to trust those who have been tasked with keeping this forum running clean. It's not like this is happening every week.

Greetings J.O.

Actually, in my conversation with one of the "owners" at the time, it was apparent that he/she/they knew nothing of the banning...as it happened.

Appears to be a "moderator(s)" instituted decision.

Pity.

Now, you may say that the power to do so was passed on to those entrused with moderating the site....but tell me honestly, where was the harm?

I'd say it was on the part of the moderation. You?...straight.

But really, add to the topic or start your own...with all due respect.

Let's see here.....you started this thread....you have been "jumped upon" a few times and yet you choose to chastise me when there are numerous posters above me that have also made irrelevant comments..

Me thinks it is time for you to "chill-out"....you seem to be taking this entire thread very personally and in the end you will find that you are really wasting your time.......just like me.laugh.gif

Don't know about you, but I having a damned fine summer...enjoy...

Ditto...great summer. Happy as hell.

But I will repeat. Do you have an opinion on the subject or do you just want to give everyone a picture of your boat/barge?

Let's see here.....you started this thread....you have been "jumped upon" a few times and yet you choose to chastise me when there are numerous posters above me that have also made irrelevant comments..

Me thinks it is time for you to "chill-out"....you seem to be taking this entire thread very personally and in the end you will find that you are really wasting your time.......just like me.laugh.gif

No excrement! GateKeeper, you're a newby and you're taking this WAY too serious!

Kip, Nice Barge!! biggrin2.gif

None of us know what was written in PMs, so we really have no way to truly know what transpired. But again, given the infrequency with which banning has been used on this site (it's the second time IIRC), I say again that I am willing to cede to the decision of our hosts.

It really is time to move on IMHO.

But I will repeat. Do you have an opinion on the subject or do you just want to give everyone a picture of your boat/barge?

Well gosh darn.blush.gif ..there goes the plan. Yup next up was gonna be photos of my other boat, my three kids and their spouses, my grandkids and my granddogs. The final picture was gonna be Scuba o2.....but now youj have ruined the surprise..PS...that boat has been pictured on AEF about three times, (at others request), perhaps a time or two more that others who have posted their motorcycles, their boats, and their pets.

To restate..

Mitch has a dog named GIBSON

I have a boat manufactured by GIBSON

I guess it would have been more correct in your eyes to just post those two lines..yes??

About WOXOF..

I was surprised and dismayed to see what had happened...as you know I have been away, (you know where )rolleyes.gif . I know all the moderators, as well as our hosts, and if they felt a "banning" was appropriate, well that is good enough for me.

To keep picking at the "scab" of reason is pointless...accept what happened and get on with life.

That's all for me..back on the vessel this afternoon.tongue.gif

That's not a "Gibson"...this is a Gibson.....Grin-Nod.gif

... A friend of mine says Gibson really should be called "Epiphone" since he didn't come with any authentication documentation... As you may recall, I wanted to call him "Hendrix".... whatever, he's a great dog, and I'll bet he'd love to make you realize how small that little tub boat of yor'n really is. :biggrin2:

Cheers mate. :b:

Archived