The Banning Of woxof

FireFox

PowerAdmin,

Can you give us the offending quote(s)?

From what I have read it would appear that woxof is the one who may have been slandered.

Thread:

Mission Creep?

Poster:

Mitch Cronin

"You sound as though you're spring loaded toward racist beliefs."

If I could reply to the "Cat" thread I'd have said this:

If considering banning any poster make it a three step process:

1. A warning. In the warning also make the threat to address the offender by using his real name.

2. Expose the offender's real name.

3. Ban the offender.

I have noticed some warm postings by those of use who use real names, but nothing has ever got beyond what you might hear after a few refreshments at Arizona's.

And one more thing - leave Mitch's dog's out of this!

If I could reply to the "Cat" thread I'd have said this:

If considering banning any poster make it a three step process:

1. A warning. In the warning also make the threat to address the offender by using his real name.

2. Expose the offender's real name.

3. Ban the offender.

I have noticed some warm postings by those of use who use real names, but nothing has ever got beyond what you might hear after a few refreshments at Arizona's.

And one more thing - leave Mitch's dog's out of this!

1. I'm sure a warning was given.

2. Why? Admin knows everyone's real names. They can provide it if needed by outside authorities if the issue requires it.

3. Done.

Some people don't want their real names posted on the internet where technologies exist to scan/phish/collect that info so they use a nom de plume. There is a pm function if you really feel the need to ask someone's real name.

Very much misinformation. We do not know anyone's real names nor have access to your personal information. :018: This is against the Privacy Act of Canada!

Then I am mistaken, I apologize. I thought that when I signed up for this site I had to enter my name and then choose my login name. I do know that when I donated that info was provided, thank you for clearing that up for me and others.

All that being said, if anyone has an issue with something I've said here and wants to know who I am, there is the pm function.

PowerAdmin,

Can you give us the offending quote(s)?

From what I have read it would appear that woxof is the one who may have been slandered.

Thread:

Mission Creep?

Poster:

Mitch Cronin

"You sound as though you're spring loaded toward racist beliefs."

GateKeeper... This matter is not your business. We do not require your agreement. My explanation was intended for those good folks here who may have been curious, that's all you get. ...and by the way, if you don't see the difference between an anonymous poster being told how he sounds, and a named individual being slandered, you may have a problem.

GateKeeper... This matter is not your business. We do not require your agreement. My explanation was intended for those good folks here who may have been curious, that's all you get. ...and by the way, if you don't see the difference between an anonymous poster being told how he sounds, and a named individual being slandered, you may have a problem.

And the personal insults start.

I'll ask again, where did he slander you? I have yet to see the reference.

It appears to me that you were the one who was trying to label him a racist & are in a tizzy because he called you on it.

Can't stand someone's differing "opinion" can you?

You are anything but "moderate" & should be removed as a moderator.

It is not our business. You do not require our agreement. Next time though don't bother offering explanations for the curious if you don't want to accept any feedback and instead attack the poster ("you may have a problem").

Then I am mistaken, I apologize. I thought that when I signed up for this site I had to enter my name and then choose my login name. I do know that when I donated that info was provided, thank you for clearing that up for me and others.

All that being said, if anyone has an issue with something I've said here and wants to know who I am, there is the pm function.

No you are right, I remember registering using my *real name* etc etc ,also when I donated to this site too used paypal I believe so they know who you are.

Would not want my real name here like to be anonymous on the net unless chatting privately, don't do facebook or twitter either, am not interested in knowing someone just blew their nose and thinks its newsworthy to tweet or put on facebook. lol

If someone wishes to use their real name here ok by me, but I'd rather not do it myself for security reasons. Too many crazies out there in cyberland.

:cool::cool::cool:

It is not our business. You do not require our agreement. Next time though don't bother offering explanations for the curious if you don't want to accept any feedback and instead attack the poster ("you may have a problem").

If he (and you?) chose to see that as an attack, that's fine. I notice you had to truncate the quote to make it appear as an attack... you see the words IF and THEN in the original text there, don't you?

I think though, if you're going to insist it was an "attack", and if you're honest, you'd have to admit it was a pretty darned tame "attack", considering he's calling me "unfit"... among other things.

...and I have no problem accepting feedback. (I didn't close that thread, and at the moment, I don't know why it was closed -haven't read my email yet)

Dear god. It's not like this is nazi Germany here. It's an moderated internet forum with user accepted rules.

The admins feel like they needed to ban a poster. If people don't like it, contact your MP and see if they will open up a public enquiry.

After you get laughed at, log off, go outside and spend time with your families. IT'S SUMMER!!!!

The people who really run airlines have all scrambled off on vacation, so there's no need for the Sunday morning quarterbacks to hold down the fort.

By the time you log back in, woxof will be back under a different alias reminding us how smart he is.

Woof!

;)

Look, here's Gibson, so concerned he doesn't know which way is up!:

Is that "Mel Gibson"?

... you are racist!

Seriously.... lets hold a tribunal, before this makes the National Post :Nodding:

(that was a joke... don't ban me... I have nothing better to do except read this when I have a cold today)

Hi folks. In a nutshell, slander is the oral communication of false statements that are harmful to a person's reputation. It is an act of communication that causes someone to be shamed, ridiculed, held in contempt, lowered in the estimation of the community or to lose employment status, earnings, or otherwise suffer a damaged reputation. I’m no lawyer but it seems you would have show reasonable people reasonable grounds that you suffered a loss (in other words damage) to substantiate the claim. Further more, if the statements are true, or seen by reasonable people to be true, it doesn’t qualify as slander.

On an anonymous form I would argue that the standard is even higher. Anonymity grants you even more insulation from the effects of slander. Is that your real name? No one really knows. Just because you say it is doesn’t make it so. Is my last name Hunter, first name Wolf or is it a nickname based on long range shooting prowess from my army days? You will never know unless I tell you and, for a variety of reasons, I don’t plan to do that.

In closing, I would also take note of the source. Everyday comments from a person seen as something of a provocative goof might require a higher threshold as well. That does not mean I think he is a goof. I simply ignore most (actually all) of what he has to say. As a result of that alone, I submit that your claim of “damage” appears even weaker. Cheers

Not knowing what's gone on behind the scenes on this one, I can only trust that The Shunned One communicated some things we are not privy to. From time to time, he(she?) did have meaningful comments. Sometimes, from time to time, so do I think has most everyone else on this forum. I am no saint when it comes to the occasional inflammatory post. I just deleted one made a few nights ago when keyboards and Scotland's finest should never come within a barge-poll of one another. As it happened, it was directed at TSO. And it was in bad taste. Must have been my lucky day, because only he(she?) called me on it. Won't happen again.

As far as the general principle of banning posters goes: This forum belongs to the owner. The owner makes the rules, including what goes and what doesn't; who can participate, and who can't. If there is a risk of legal liability because of unidentified posters, maybe the owners should have hard and fast ID's on all its participants. Something that will probably (practically speaking) never happen. In which case, why would anyone run an internet forum with anonymous posters if they're going to get sued by something that escapes the forum moderators?

Anyway, sad that this has happened. But the forum's image has gone up a notch.

In my opinion, anyway.

I have felt for a long time, that there should be some sort of a hand eye co-ordination test, that would prohibit one from posting while under the influence!

I am sure most of us would agree!

Where's the offending post by woxof TF?

A simple search brings up lots going the other way....

I can't belief that this forum...with more thread starters by "moderators" than non, bans a poster like woxof for simply rubbing a few egos the wrong way, yet you don't appear to have the will to police one of your own.

Where's his sin?

Good grief, you folks make the Federal Liberals look like they don't know the meaning of political correctness.

Mr. Keeper;

The comment is in reference to Moon's, "Scotland's Finest".

The rest of this is for everyone here, and is not directed at anyone. (I am starting to understand Manwests disclaimer!)

Maybe a twenty four hour waiting period would be more appropriate? At least then some thought might go into a person's posts.

And yes I agree, a few less than desireable posts can go a long way to degrade the amount of respect a person garners.

I am sorry, I don't remember any of woxof's posts, so realy have no opinion of him. But I do feel that many of the threads that are just personal attacts should be deleted by admin.

Show a little maturity and self respect. (all of us) Maybe we can have a few informative threads that we all desire. Very little deportment becoming of officers and gentlemen is displayed here.

Tony!

Yes it's fair to say that the Woxof has ruffled a few feathers over the years (mine included), but he's been allowed to state his opinions unheeded on here for several years. I am not privy to what took place in this particular instance, but I think I know enough about our hosts to know that if someone has had their posting privileges removed, the forum rules must have been clearly violated. It's their playground and if we don't play by their rules, we can expect to be sent home. Asking them to lay out all the dirty details is more than a little unfair, IMHO. We are not the forum police writ large. We need to trust those who have been tasked with keeping this forum running clean. It's not like this is happening every week.

As I said, I too have had my disagreements with Woxof but these were on matters of substance, not personal. Let's just say that we have somewhat different perspectives on how the world works. I suggested that he was painting a certain demographic with a very broad brush during a discussion about how to deal with terrorism, and he immediately accused me of calling him a racist. Others will suggest that I was only pointing out what was blatantly obvious in his postings. I will defend his right to have and express his opinions but if he stepped over the line, then that's a different matter entirely and I will cede to the decision of our hosts / moderators.

Expressing ones opinions and "attacking" the message are not, in and of themselves, bad things or in dispute.

It would seem that the messenger was attacked at a personal level that may have caused (or potentially caused) undue harm to the individual. This is a legal violation and the operator of the board is obligated to remove the offending poster.

There is a great exchange of ideas here and, although many of our ideas differ, this is a good place to exchange them most of the time. People may feel insulted when the idea is attacked but so be it everyone is different. For the most part we do not degrade to personal attacks on the poster himself anonymous or otherwise.

Let put this to rest and get back to doing what we do best...... Arguing about the things WE feel are important.

So....how about the price of eggs in Rhodesia?

Archived