JAzz???

SkyBlazer

RussD, the concessions that labour gave up in CCAA certainly help Jazz's bottom line but they do not account for 100% of Jazz's profitability. The bulk of Jazz's profit comes from AC vastly overpaying for the service provided. It was set up this way when ACE owned both in order to float Jazz as an income trust.

I agree with Dagger completely. Rovenescu's job is to look out for AC's bottom line. Full stop. If he's not licking his chops at the thought of a 7 day strike which would allow him to cancel the CPA and re-negotiate it's terms, then he's not doing his job. He's the same guy as he was in 2003, but this time he looks out only for AC, Jazz's profitability is not his concern.

And I'd say that the threat of abrogation is what has kept ALPA at the table. ALPA would be a lot better off if AC still owned Jazz. (I always argued that divestiture of these assets like Jazz would pay downstream benefits to AC.

"As I'm sure you're aware, the routes Jazz flys under the CPA, are owned by Air Canada. The latest Jeppesen Chart amendment for the EMB and 320 have just included a number of those stations."

According to ALPA, ACPA has already pledged it's support to the Jazz Pilot's by stating that it will not accept extra flying/overtime for the duration of any strike action.

FW

Lots of room within the contract to do more flying that cannot be refused, particularily on the narrow bodies.

I think some day Mitch you'll stop buying union propaganda and understand that the richer AC is, the better deal you will get, that your best interest does NOT lie in showing solidarity to a regional airline like Jazz that now sponges off AC.

....sigh.... A, I definitely don't swallow most union propaganda I see, and B, What I'd like so much to see, is skilled airline employees (such as pilots and AME's) actually earning a decent wage for a change. The top of the line Jazz pilot might make a decent wage, but I'm pretty sure the lower rung fella's don't, and I'm damed sure their AME's don't. I haven't a clue whether or not their F/A's do.....

All the salt and paprika you can spread won't change the truth... Do you think the guy's who've made a career out of changing the hangar fire alarm system in YYZ are really worth more than a right seat pilot on an RJ or Embraer?... or an AME fixing and signing out 777's? ...for instance... We've watched far too many exec's swimming in cash while we've had those "haircuts" you said we all needed Dagger. It's high time to pay for all those cold heads!

How do pay and conditions for Jazz Pilots compare to those of other CRJ/DH-8 operators? Can anybody provide a brief comparison?

Also, while the possibility of abrogation of the CPA is being held up, do the healthy profits being made at Jazz while mainline loses money and the generous yield being paid to Jazz unitholders suggest that AC now pays Jazz too much under the CPA?

According to ALPA, ACPA has already pledged it's support to the Jazz Pilot's by stating that it will not accept extra flying/overtime for the duration of any strike action.

This is where it gets grey. Will the union (ACPA) allow the pilots to fly a Jazz (operated) route because of the CPA/codeshare arrangement. I'm pretty sure many ALPA members wouldn't think so. I personally know nothing of union dos and don'ts, but find the argument/discussion of support and flying "struck work" between two pilot groups and two separate companies interesting/amusing.

I should state that I find the possibility of labor unrest or possible strike action not the least bit amusing.

cheers

I am curious to know how and why you figure AC will suffer short term only to gain in the long term? The suffer in the short term seems obvious, but how could this be good for AC Dagger?

Éric

It wouldn't be. His scenario ignores the fact that AC owns only the uneconomic RJ's, but not the Dash-8's. The 50 seat jet was marginal in 1994, it would be a bottom-line killer for AC in 2010.

Back to the original topic... any news?? I've heard nothing. Was there a settlement?

Jazz Air Income Fund (JAZ.UN-T4.210.030.72%) and the union representing pilots have reached a tentative labour agreement, says the Air Line Pilots Association...

Halifax-based Jazz, which flies on behalf of Air Canada, has yet to sign a new contract with its flight attendants. The Canadian Flight Attendants Union said it hopes to resume efforts within days with federal mediation and conciliation officers to help negotiate a new settlement.

http://www.theglobeandmail.com/globe-investor/jazz-pilots-union-reach-tentative-deal/article1613823/

Archived