The Ipad in the (virtual) Cockpit

I just found this article and began wondering what the pilot's amongst us think about the Ipad as an electronic flight bag. Are laptops used in this roll anywhere? Seems the Ipad might be an alternative if so.

http://www.tuaw.com/2010/05/17/ipads-on-the-virtual-flight-deck/

Looks like a reasonable application for the new device. Much lighter than a Jepp binder and easier to carry.

bd :cool:

The airline I'm flying for is using laptops as a Class 1 EFB, which means we use it for references, performance calculations and for completing most of our company forms. Beacuse it's a laptop and not fixed to the aircraft, we can't use it for the Jeppesen charts. It sure would be nice to have that additional benefit available, and having been a Mac user for a couple of months now, I'd look forward to using the iPad as a Class 2 EFB. Bring it on! thumbs_up.gif

I'd look forward to using the iPad as a Class 2 EFB. Bring it on!

If that involves any sort of certification, look for an such an iPad to cost many multiples of the going price :biggrin1:

Actually I have an iPad question if anyone knows. If I have a 3G version set up with Rogers for Canadian 3G access, can I buy an AT&T simcard and use it if I am in the US for a month or so while on vacation.

It seems the roaming charges that Rogers would want, make it prohibitive to use their services while out of their network.

Edited by Innuendo

Don't take this to the bank but I read somewhere that Apple intended the iPad to be sold unlocked and that service providers weren't to be allowed to lock them. It may have been on one of the Apple forums but I haven't the time to go looking. Too bad they won't do the same with the iPhone instead of people having to sign up to three years of indentured service to their service provider. At least here in the UK the contracts are only 18 months.

Don't take this to the bank but I read somewhere that Apple intended the iPad to be sold unlocked and that service providers weren't to be allowed to lock them. It may have been on one of the Apple forums but I haven't the time to go looking. Too bad they won't do the same with the iPhone instead of people having to sign up to three years of indentured service to their service provider. At least here in the UK the contracts are only 18 months.

The Ipad is sold unlocked everywhere. In Canada, Rogers currently offers no contract monthly data plans and there is nothing from stopping any other provider from doing the same as long as they provide the micro-sim card. The current Canadian marketplace is beginning to open up slightly with Wind and Mobilicity now begging to offer some (slight) competition to Rogers and Bell. I don't see an end to the obscene 3 year locked in cell phone plans for a long time though.

Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.