New Security protocol - DH crews

Powermatic

Guest rattler
Does anyone know how DH crew are treated as far as carry on luggage goes?

Going through security I would bet 1 item will be what is enforced.

A commuter is just another passenger who happens to work for an airline. Uniform or not, the same security restrictions apply as for any other traveller. The new issues really only have an effect if you are going to the US. They don't apply returning to Canada from the US.

To do a bypass as a DH you have to have your pairing sheet, a boarding card and your RAIC. If you cheat as a commuter and get caught - kiss your RAIC and your job goodbye.

Out of YVR I was treated as Crew even though I was DH. Water bottle etc just as other crew. wink.gif

And you are responsible for that violation of the security rules. If you are a passenger, you are required to comply with the carry-on liquids requirements (and all other security protocols for passengers), whether the security people catch up with you or not. That includes passing through normal passenger screening.

Every airline communicates these procedures to their crews. Please leave the specifics off of a public forum.

Do you work for "Every Airline"? Where are they based? biggrin.gif

If I am Commuting on a Company Paid Ticket and receiving duty pay for the travel which occurs just prior to or following a "Crew Operating" trip am I just a "Passenger"? What does DH Crew mean then?

A little common sense here please! wink.gif

Going through security I would bet 1 item will be what is enforced.

This applies to US destinations only. According to the CATSA website, two (2) carry on bags are still allowed to Canadian destinations. Has anyone had a problem taking two (2) carry on bags while commuting to a Canadian destination from inside Canada ?

http://www.catsa-acsta.gc.ca/home.aspx?id=...Accueil〈=en

Then you are treated like an on duty crewmember as long as you are in uniform.

Negative. If you are not deadheading as part of your pairing, you are required, uniform or not, to comply with normal passenger screening procedure. Contents restrictions also apply so check your toothpaste. Commuters use the bypass at their peril, regardless of who bought you ticket.

Obviously there are several scenarios and perhaps several interpretations of the rules.

As for my experience, I was d/h crew to JFK as part of my assigned schedule. Nothing different as far as carry on luggage and did not surrender my oversized toothpaste. I was not subject to the pat-down screen at the boarding gate.

This flight did not pre-clear customs in Canada. As a result, the TSA braintrust in JFK hand searched all crewmembers luggage on arrival. One US immigration guy working the crew line, several international flights arriving at the same time all with 13 to 17 crew....... just super.

Airbusguy,

If you are ALPA give your MEC a call they will have the info from Transport Canada security, same goes for ACPA, except I am not sure if they are called an MEC or not, if you are part of the WJ pilots non-unionized association they too will have the info, as for everyone else not sure, since we all received the info from out MEC after meetings with Transport.

Regards,

60N30W

Negative. If you are not deadheading as part of your pairing, you are required, uniform or not, to comply with normal passenger screening procedure. Contents restrictions also apply so check your toothpaste. Commuters use the bypass at their peril, regardless of who bought you ticket.

Not true.

There are special exemptions, for Commuting In Uniform.

Archived