Vaccine shortages

AME

Probably because there were too many celebrity queue jumpers.

http://www.nationalpost.com/sports/story.html?id=2179790

CALGARY -- The Alberta government is investigating how most players on the Calgary Flames - along with some of their family members, coaching staff and management - arranged to receive their H1N1 vaccine shots in private last week, while thousands of Albertans stood in the cold for hours to be inoculated.

Probably because there were too many celebrity queue jumpers.

http://www.nationalpost.com/sports/story.html?id=2179790

This is just another example of the celebrity suck up that plagues far too many people. I am sure the people at Alberta Health were all agog over being able to vaccinate the Flames.

Hockey hero worship is sad and pathetic.

The Oilers were not given the shot...

So who at AHS got what from the Flames for the favour?

I could have saved my 4 hours if I just knew a hockey player.....

What a joke.... Just symbolic of how poorly this province is run... and it starts with that third place farmer we've got running it

mad.gif

Giving the vaccine to the Flames was a good idea. It just wasn't carried far enough.

Any group that could guarantee 100 people would be inoculated at no cost to the health system should also be given the same consideration.

It's too bad this all happened.

I know as a retired bureaucrat, that this means a major embarrassment to the Minister and also the Premier. Someone tonight is going to go to bed tonight, if that person can sleep at all, knowing that their job and probably any career is certainly gone tomorrow.

What a shame this had to happen. If you really want to piss off the public, this is one of those things that will do it.

Giving the vaccine to the Flames was a good idea. It just wasn't carried far enough.

Any group that could guarantee 100 people would be inoculated at no cost to the health system should also be given the same consideration.

From my understanding it was vaccine supplied by AHS. How exactly was this given at no cost to the health system?

From my understanding it was vaccine supplied by AHS. How exactly was this given at no cost to the health system?

Vaccine supplied from Federal funds. Alberta Health provides the manpower and space to administer the shots.

In this case all that Alberta Health had to do was arrange for someone to pick up the vials.

While business has every right to determine how it will conduct itself (and I truly believe it should until/unless it is illegal, immoral or fattening), it most certainly does not when it comes to health and social policy. That is what was ignored by the Calgary Flames organization and their coat-tailing farm team here in BC when they used their economic power and political influence to jump the H1N1 line.

This begs the question... Was the vaccine allocated to the Flames before or after it was determined that there would be shortages?

The "State of Alberta" as I heard it described on CKNW this morning

I was born and raised in BC, I've lived and worked in Sask, Man, Que, NFLD, NS and of course AB. and if we can get rid of the damn farmer this will once again be the best place (for me) to live. biggrin.gifbiggrin.gif

(CKNW = damn pinkos wink.giflaugh.gif )

I am not trying to defend the Flames organization, but does anyone here not believe that every major league sports team in the US has probably vaccinated their players and staff by now? I would put money on it that they have. For all we know, other Canadian teams have done it as well but have managed to keep it under wraps.

When you are in the sports business, the loss of one player can put a dent in the bottom line. Imagine losing half of your roster to a pandemic while all of your competitors are fielding a full team of first stringers. So for the Flames, and every other team here in Canada, who are used to being able to send their injured players to the hospital for an MRI immediately after an injury occurs, you can see how they probably thought they weren't doing anything wrong. I still don't like it, but I can see how it happened.

Yup, but the panicked millions standing in line for hours isn't a strain. Got it.

Please....The strain on the system by me standing outside in a lineup is far less than me lying in a bed in the ER.

You have your opinion, I have mine.

AME;

CKNW = damn pinkos

Whaaa....?! You have to be kidding! Ever listened to Michael Campbell on "Money Talks", (Gordon's brother)?! I think I know where Cambbell's over-simplistic "thinking" comes from. The station would be broadcasting Limbaugh on Sunday mornings if Shell wasn't available and Canadian libel laws permitted it. And Adler? Christy Clark who are hegemonic mainstays of Corus Radio? They are most definitely not "pinkos".

AME;

Whaaa....?! You have to be kidding! Ever listened to Michael Campbell on "Money Talks", (Gordon's brother)?! I think I know where Cambbell's over-simplistic "thinking" comes from. The station would be broadcasting Limbaugh on Sunday mornings if Shell wasn't available and Canadian libel laws permitted it. And Adler? Christy Clark who are hegemonic mainstays of Corus Radio? They are most definitely not "pinkos".

Of course they are! they're from the wet coast and we all know everyone out there is either a pinko or running a grow op biggrin.gifbiggrin.gifbiggrin.gif

Guest rattler

RE the Flames, seems that the public called for a "head" and they have been handed one. The most senior worker involved has been fired.

For my part, I believe it was a damn foolish decision to allow the Flames or any other team to jump the queue when Others (Policemen, Firemen and other very public contact workers and their families) were not given any priority.

Instead of kvetching over the few doses that the Flames got and took 100 people out of the queue for shots..... try asking about the 50,000 doses of vaccine in Alberta that had to be destroyed on Sunday morning because the decision was made not to open up for a few days.

Let's back track a minute and take a look at the full Flames situation.

1. Flames were on an extended break between games (about 4 days) last week.

2. The medical staff and management made a decision to get the flu shots for their players. This is no different than an employer deciding to shut down operations and send all employees to get a flu shot through the standard means (stand in line).

3. Flames staff/management start to get worried about the security aspects of having a full complement of NHL players stand in the clinic line. The clinics were not set up for line management and other security concerns.

4. Flames management contact Alberta Health to talk about the security aspects of the situation. Keep in mind that flames management could have easily just told the players to report at the four clinics and leave AHS with the security bill.

5. Seeing the potential line management problems, AHS sent 100 doses to the flames (100 doses is the smallest lot size available).

Overall at the time - Thursday and Friday last week - sending 100 doses of H1N1 to the Flames was probably the least costly option to the healthcare system. Most costly option would have been to have the team stand in line and let the cops deal with line management.

The unfortunate set of circumstances was laid on the Flames Management as the weekend story ends up being how Flames took vaccine from kids and pregnant mothers.

I don't feel sorry for the fall guy. They will get a a few months salary in lieu of notice, a great recommendation from their immediate supervisor, an acceptable "political" reason for leaving their last post that won't hang around their neck or prevent them from seeking employment elsewhere. Basically someone just got a paid vacation.

Security issues at the line?? Your scenario assumes that all of the Flames and their families would have gonr to the same clinic at the same time.

The fact is that someone took advantage of the supposed entitlement that pro athletes get no matter what the apologists and jock sniffers say.

Still waiting for Fido to explain how there was no cost to health system.

Archived