The IPhone

AIP

Well, finally took the plunge and got an Iphone.

So far so good, quite an impressive unit.

Any comments on what "Apps" are must haves ??

I have the usuals already, Aviation WX, and a cool game called "Flight Control"

The Score sports is a great way to keep up on the world of sports.

A couple of questions though, is it possible to use a song or .mp3 as a ringtone ??

How can I get .mpg videos over to it or even .wmv files ? Itunes does no seem like it wants to help as I have tried dragging and dropping.

A couple of questions though,  is it possible to use a song or .mp3 as a ringtone ??

How can I get .mpg videos over to it or even .wmv files ?  Itunes does no seem like it wants to help as I have tried dragging and dropping.

In order to watch any video on your Iphone you need to have the file converted to MP4 for Itunes to recognize and accept it. You can then transfer using Itunes.

Sorry I don't know about how to use Mp3 files as ringtones, I just know it can be done. I have an Ipod Touch that I've jailbroken and set up to use VOIP where WiFi is available. Google Iphone Jailbreak if your interested. I called home from T3 at LHR 2 weeks ago for free, voice quality wasn't the best but the better the wifi signal the better the quality. You can also set up Skype on the Iphone if interested.

Must Have Apps, My favs:

WiFitrac

RoadTrip

WeatherEye

TipCalculator

Macleans

Globe and mail

AnnoyATeen

CorusRadio

There are a large number of apps that are not available through Itunes Canada that are great, Pandora and Joost amongst them.

In order to watch any video on your Iphone you need to have the file converted to MP4 for Itunes to recognize and accept it. You can then transfer using Itunes.

Sorry I don't know about how to use Mp3 files as ringtones, I just know it can be done. I have an Ipod Touch that I've jailbroken and set up to use VOIP where WiFi is available. Google Iphone Jailbreak if your interested. I called home from T3 at LHR 2 weeks ago for free, voice quality wasn't the best but the better the wifi signal the better the quality. You can also set up Skype on the Iphone if interested.

Must Have Apps, My favs:

WiFitrac

RoadTrip

WeatherEye

TipCalculator

Macleans

Globe and mail

AnnoyATeen

CorusRadio

There are a large number of apps that are not available through Itunes Canada that are great, Pandora and Joost amongst them.

I have already installed Skype and it works great.

will work on it some more.

Thanks

A couple of questions though,  is it possible to use a song or .mp3 as a ringtone ??

How can I get .mpg videos over to it or even .wmv files ?  Itunes does no seem like it wants to help as I have tried dragging and dropping.

Sounds like a great gadget. What kind of monthly package are you on? Does it give you global phone use, etc?

Sounds like a great gadget. What kind of monthly package are you on? Does it give you global phone use, etc?

Regular Rogers type package, nothing special.

Nowadays, I typically use skype for overseas calling home etc.

Data package had to change from a "Blackberry" version to something compatible with other smartphones including the Iphone. No charges to change it over although they upper data limit in now only 1GB. I have been assured that this will be enough.

Regular Rogers type package, nothing special.

Nowadays, I typically use skype for overseas calling home etc.

Data package had to change from a "Blackberry" version to something compatible with other smartphones including the Iphone. No charges to change it over although they upper data limit in now only 1GB. I have been assured that this will be enough.

Excellent. Thanks!

Does anyone know if Bell will eventually carry the iphone?

Only if Apple makes a CDMA version as this is the type of network Bell and Telus operate. Rumour is Verizon in the US want a CDMA version very badly and that Apple is considering making one. Might be a year or two though as AT&T has exclusive US rights until 2012 if I remember correctly.

Bell is converting to GSM (later this year, I believe) , but it would depend on the Apple/Rogers contract as to whether Bell would be able to carry it officially. Of course, this wouldn't preclude using an unlocked iPhone on Bell if they didn't offer it.

I currently use the iTouch and am quite impressed, except for battery life when using some apps; usually those that require a lot of screen manipulation. The battery lasts a long time when just listening to music, though. They seem to have that part figured out pretty good.

I has been a couple of years since I used a PDA (had used various Palms for about 10 years) and I find it to be very useful, especially with the wifi capability.

I will be switching to iPhone when my current contract with Bell runs out.

• 3 months later...

Just got AppBox Pro. It contains about 20 apps that you would otherwise have to pay for individually. Some useful, some not so much. About 7 useful ones, depending on your needs.

Also, OffMaps allows you to pre-download detailed maps from any city so you can figure out how to get back to the hotel without downloading the maps real time (and costing money). It will use IP location to show you approximately where you are.

For those traveling to LHR, Tube Exits is great. It plans your tube trips and tells you what car to get on for quickest access to the Way Out or your connecting train.

For aviation tools, AeroWeather, Airport Codes and Crew Rest.

After a lot of research, I use GoSkyWatch for astronomical information. In addition to city input for location, you can create custom waypoints using lat and long (much more useful for overseas ops).

And, as a diversion, Moron Test.

Some of my favourites:

FileMagnet - can carry the FOM/AOM (in PDF) on the road

Timmy Me - great for finding the closest Tim's on a layover

21 Pro - keep my Blackjack skills up

Drinks - closest LCBO

Starmap- very cool for looking at the stars

Cheers Airways

I currently use the iTouch and am quite impressed, except for battery life when using some apps; usually those that require a lot of screen manipulation.  The battery lasts a long time when just listening to music, though. They seem to have that part figured out pretty good.

I found a handy gadget at Princess Auto that helps when you travel with your itouch.

It's four power chargers in one small package. USB, wall socket, cigarette lighter and nine volt battery.

Does anybody know if you can use that google jailbreak or skype on a ipod touch. i just bought the new 32gig unit so I can have wi fi when I don't feel like schlepping the mac book over the pond.

The jailbreak certainly works for the Touch. You must be careful what version of the firmware your Touch is using as last week Apple released version 3.1.1 for the touch. If you have updated to this you will need to wait a little while as the jailbreak hasn't been released yet for this new firmware update. (It will likely be out within the next couple of weeks)

Skype also works on the touch as long as you have headphones with a mic. I have called home from the departure lounge at LHR using my skype equiped Touch.

If you haven't updated to 3.1.1 and are using 2.1 or 3.0 then you are good to jailbreak.

I highly recommend this site for everything touch including info on jailbreaking.

http://www.ipodtouchfans.com/forums/

Skype also works on the touch as long as you have headphones with a mic. I have called home from the departure lounge at LHR using my skype equiped Touch.

CA & Say Again, Over!

Which model of Touch do you have...the 8gb, 32, 64?

Would the 8gb work well with Skype or is better to pay more bucks & get the larger 32 or 64?

Quite a difference in price. The 8 is half the cost of the 64, but would it be enough?

CA & Say Again, Over!

Which model of Touch do you have...the 8gb, 32, 64?

Would the 8gb work well with Skype or is better to pay more bucks & get the larger 32 or 64?

Quite a difference in price. The 8 is half the cost of the 64, but would it be enough?

I have the 16gb. Apple has discontinued this size but still has 2nd generation available on it's website, both new and refurbished. (refurbs have the exact same warranty as new but cheaper).

The size of the harddrive doesn't affect the operation of the touch. The larger harddrive just allows you to load more apps, more music and more video.

The new 32gb and 64gb are supposed to have better graphics and some software improvements but I haven't seen any reviews yet to confirm. They do come with mic equiped earphones, but those can be picked up for under $40.

As with all apple ipods they have generations. The newest just released are 3rd gen, mine is second. I would stay away from 1st if you see any for sale. Both 2nd and 3rd are Blutooth capable so you can also pick up a blutooth stereo headset with mic and us that.

All in all the 2nd gen 8gb is a good buy right now. Large enough to hold a good selection of movies, music photos and all the apps you could possibly need including skype.

Refurb-169

http://store.apple.com/ca/browse/home/spec...?mco=NzcwNjg5OA

New - 219

http://store.apple.com/ca/browse/home/shop...?mco=Nzk2MDUxNQ

Archived