N.B. school silences O Canada

conehead

I haven't picked out any ethnic group, however, speaking as a minority caucasian in a GTA neighborhood, Canada is a country of great opportunity to our immigrants.

They get to create their own ghettos, they refuse to speak english, they want to change our laws to the system they were running away from, they operate their own underground economy on a cash system so they don't pay taxes, they import their relatives and then seek landed status, and they are more organised than multi-generational Canadians when it comes to politics and electing officials who captain their agendas.

I guess it's a different view from the rest of Canada.

Iceman

I live in what could be described as an immigrant-majority neighbourhood and I just don't see it, they are delighted to be here, the Nigerians have even whipped up some sort of strange Calgary is the promised land black liberation theology.

YYC I/C... You keep posting that you are educated.......seems your education lacks in a particular area. I would suggest you do a little research on how the anthem came to be, and why we have it.

Kip, why are you suggesting I'm not educated, don't know how the anthem came to be, and why we have it??

What in my posts on this subject would suggest I don't know these things??

I just don't think the national anthem should be played daily at school.

Dating myself....

You are so much older than me (well maybe a year or two). Do you also remember that many gatherings would have O'Canada AND God Save the Queen?

Mo32:

Maybe you can recall which was at the start and which was at the end of the gathering, I can't.

Kip, why are you suggesting I'm not educated, don't know how the anthem came to be, and why we have it??

What in my posts on this subject would suggest I don't know these things??

I just don't think the national anthem should be played daily at school.

I never said you were not educated...I said your education was lacking in one area......don't read something in my post that is not there.... wink.gif

You never indicated that you new beans about the anthem until this rebuttal so what can I say??

gotta go...very early flight tomorrow...on AC

A little research reveals this principal has an agenda...

Green Party

Secular Society

Anti War (illustrated by dragging a bodybag on stage during an assembly while wearing

fatigues and a gas mask)

Yup we have a winner here....... rolleyes.gif

Mo32:

Maybe you can recall which was at the start and which was at the end of the gathering, I can't.

It seems to me that they play the American anthem then they play O Canada at the hockey games and just before the end of the anthem everybody starts cheering etc. for the home town heros.

Which goes against the protocal that Kip linked to.

I will be going to a game in the states in a couple of weeks I will see how it is done there.

In fact, why is the national anthem played at sporting events....it's ridiculous.  Do they play the national anthem at the start of a movie, or any other entertainment event.

Not any more but I remember the drum roll that preceded God Save the Queen which was played before the entertainment began on Saturday at the local Odeon Theatre.

Of course, Silverwoods Dairy delivered our milk to the door by horse drawn carriage at the time.

Honest!

Of course, Silverwoods Dairy delivered our milk to the door by horse drawn carriage at the time.

Honest!

Not that long ago!

I was about 9 when the horse came by, most times without a driver. The horse knew the route and would meet the milkman at the next house.

You are so much older than me (well maybe a year or two). Do you also remember that many gatherings would have O'Canada AND God Save the Queen?

Mo32:

In BC where I went to school, way back when, we started the day with God save the Queen and the Lord's prayer.

Guest rattler

Superintendent orders national anthem reinstated in N.B. school

Last Updated: Sunday, February 1, 2009 | 2:35 PM AT Comments73Recommend59CBC News

The principal of the Belleisle Elementary School in southern New Brunswick has been told to reinstate the playing of the national anthem following several complaints over the decision to drop it as part of the morning routine for students.

School District 6 Superintendent Zoë Watson said she directed the principal to bring back O Canada after receiving a number of calls and emails from people living in the small community of Springfield, across the province and elsewhere in Canada.

"It is very clear from the communication I have received that people want to see the national anthem played daily at this school,” Watson said. “As Superintendent of District 6, I will act in the best interest of the Belleisle Elementary School community and reinstate the playing of the national anthem during daily announcements, effective immediately.”

Principal Erik Millett said he made the decision to cancel the playing of song about a year ago, with the blessing of parents who didn't want their children taking part, for reasons he said he couldn't discuss because of privacy issues.

He said the change was part of a package of reforms designed to make the school feel more inclusive and to allow the school to run more smoothly.

Millett said kids who were arriving late on school buses were disrupting the anthem as it was piped in over the public address system.

A mother of two girls attending Belleisle Elementary learned about the new policy only recently and complained to both Watson and Conservative MP Greg Thompson. Susan Boyd also announced plans to start a petition to try to change the school's decision

Archived