N.B. school silences O Canada

conehead

I'm sorry, this isn't aviation related, but it really pisses me off...

N.B. school silences O Canada

Last Updated: Wednesday, January 28, 2009 | 5:06 PM AT Comments370Recommend141

CBC News

The Boyd sisters have been raised singing the national anthem every day, but a New Brunswick school has silenced their morning ritual.

These days, the only time Julia Boyd, 11, gets to belt out the anthem's lyrics is at monthly school assemblies, other special occasions or at home with her older sister Kara.

That's because singing O Canada is no longer a daily morning event at Belleisle Elementary. The school's principal has dropped it in response to concerns from other parents.

'I like singing O Canada every day, and it reminds me of the troops that are over there.'— Julia Boyd

"It makes me sad, upset," Julia said. "I didn't feel very good about it."

Julia said the national anthem is one way that she feels closer to the Canadian soldiers who are serving overseas.

The girls' cousin Pte. David Robert Greenslade was killed in Afghanistan in April 2007. Greenslade was one of six Canadian soldiers killed and two others injured when their armoured vehicle hit a roadside bomb west of Kandahar City.

"I like singing O Canada every day, and it reminds me of the troops that are over there," she said.

For Susan Boyd, the girls' mother, the anthem is one of the most important lessons for students.

"And not only sing the anthem but talk about the anthem so the children will understand what it means, where it came from," Boyd said. "What all the words [to the anthem] mean so they will know and take pride, and they should take pride."

Cancelling anthem a delicate decision

Whether to sing the national anthem appears to be a delicate matter in the small southern New Brunswick community.

Erik Millett, the school's principal, said he made the decision partly to accommodate parents who didn't want their children taking part in the daily anthem.

"We try to balance the needs of every student, and we want every student to feel welcome in our school," Millett said.

"And part of our school and included in that and if we need to make some accommodations or exceptions then we'll try to put those in place regardless of what the issue is."

Nearly all elementary students in the district sing the anthem every day. But that decision is up to each school.

Annette Pollock has a grandson at the school and she also counts herself as among those upset about the kids' inability to sing the national anthem daily inside the classroom.

"He goes to hockey. It's pretty bad when you have to wait for hockey to teach him O Canada instead of in the schools," she said of her grandson.

"I'm sure he'll learn it. They play it at every game."

Susan Boyd isn't giving up the fight to bring the national song back to the classrooms in Belleisle Elementary, however.

She said she's hoping that she and other parents can convince the school to bring back the daily anthem.

The school principal, however, says it's not simply about O Canada. He said the province needs to take a closer look at the issue and stand on guard for all students.

Guest rattler

What's the other part???

Huh?? Why? Who?? Once again, the tail wags the dog mad.gif

Some continue to be more "equal" than the majority.

Seems to be a song that is sung all over Canada in this politically correct world we live in.

I submit that we take up a collection for the 'Others' to have a first class ticket to wherever they came from. Lift their Canadian passport at the bridgehead on the way out.

Come here, have a better life.....

AS A CANADIAN G0DDAMIT mad.gif

Iceman

As a proud Canadian, I don't see the need to sing the national anthem everyday. Canada is a great country, I'm sure all children will figure it out. There's no need for indoctrination.

Deicer, I would suggest that the people opposed to this would be sent back to England, Ireland, Scotland, Wales, and France.......I don't think it is the immigrants your post seems to suggest.

I submit that we take up a collection for the 'Others' to have a first class ticket to wherever they came from. Lift their Canadian passport at the bridgehead on the way out.

Iceman

I suspect you will find they are many many generations Canadian, I have yet to meet any of these immigrants who so hate this country and its symbols.

One and the same.....

"Thompson believes there is more to the story. He said when he ran against Millet in the 2004 and 2006 federal elections in New Brunswick Southwest, Millett's actions were questionable. Millett also ran for the Green Party in the last election in Fundy Royal.

Thompson recalled a debate in St. Stephen in 2006 during which Millett, in his protest of the Conservative's position on the war in Iraq, appeared on stage dressed in a protective suit and wearing a gas mask. Later he brought body bags on stage to show his position that war would mean soldiers would be sent home in them.

One constituent left crying since she had a son serving in Afghanistan at the time, and collectively all parties booed Millett from the event, Thompson said."

(deicer @ Jan 29 2009, 08:38 AM)

Yeah, it's gotta be the immigrants.

"That is surprising to Heike MacGregor, a Belleisle parent who has children who sing O Canada before class starts every morning in the high school across the road. "I'm not letting this go," she said. "I chose this country, and I will stand up for it and the other parents who feel the same way I do."

She moved to Canada from Germany and received her citizenship in 1982. She is adamant that children need to be instilled with love for their country from an early age.

"Where's the patriotism? People here are sitting on a gold mine in this country," she said. "I cannot think of a country or nation that doesn't have a flag or an anthem, so I cannot image who would take issue with singing the anthem of this country."

Telegraph-Journal Article

I was raised in BC schools in the '70s and '80s... we didn't ever sing the anthem except at assemblies, special occasions etc.

I really don't think it made me any less of a Canadian.

So to this thread I give a mild raised eyebrow and a shrug. I don't see any issues here.

T9

I suspect you will find they are many many generations Canadian, I have yet to meet any of these immigrants who so hate this country and its symbols.

I haven't picked out any ethnic group, however, speaking as a minority caucasian in a GTA neighborhood, Canada is a country of great opportunity to our immigrants.

They get to create their own ghettos, they refuse to speak english, they want to change our laws to the system they were running away from, they operate their own underground economy on a cash system so they don't pay taxes, they import their relatives and then seek landed status, and they are more organised than multi-generational Canadians when it comes to politics and electing officials who captain their agendas.

I guess it's a different view from the rest of Canada.

Iceman

What's the other part???

Huh?? Why? Who?? Once again, the tail wags the dog mad.gif

Just a guess kip.

When the school sang O Canada, the official start time might have been something like 8:30 but students were required to be at their desk at 8:25 or 8:20 to sing the national anthem and for roll call. The parents were complaining not about the singing but about the early start.

The school has to start class according to the education department regulations and likely the regs don't have a provision for national anthem singing, so education has to start at 8:30, non educational activities have to occur before the 8:30.

When I went to primary school in the 1990s we had problem with the start times at lunch. lunch break started at noon and ended at 12:55. At 12:55 students had to be at our desks for roll call. Then at 1pm classes started. Now if a student missed roll call but arrived at 1pm, they were considered late. It didn't matter if they were 2 minutes late or 55 minutes late, the parents still got a phone call for repeat offenses.

Back in the day schools did not have automated dialing systems. The school had to redirect staff time to phone the parents. Today this is handled by auto dialing the parent to place of work or home (whichever is the phone number of record) if the kid is recorded as late.

To wrap this all up. If the school was recording a late status during the period of national anthem singing, the parents would be getting a call every day. The parents are really complaining about getting to many calls for the trivial problem of their kids missing the national anthem.

To wrap this all up. If the school was recording a late status during the period of national anthem singing, the parents would be getting a call every day. The parents are really complaining about getting to many calls for the trivial problem of their kids missing the national anthem

Seems to me the simple fix is get the tardy little tikes to school earlier.....

Good grief, they can't get there 5 minutes earlier icon_question.gif and I must admit that parents that feel that the National Anthem is a trivial problem at school need to be educated about the history and traditions of this country...Been to a hockey game lately? I would venture to say that over 50% of the people don't even know the words to this country's anthem. As much as some have a distaste for our southern neighbours and their rather parochial view of the world...they do know their national anthem.

Still, I would like to hear the full, and actual reason behind the ban from the "Canadian" who instigated it.

Doesn't the Principal work for a school board? Wouldn't the board be responsible for polices such as this?

School Boards were done away with in New Brunswick in the mid-nineties. The Principal is an employee of the Minister. As stated in the original news article, the Dept of Ed has given the option to the local administrator (principal)

I went to public school in Quebec in the 60's and very early 70's. We never sang Oh Canada in any language.. My kids have never sung Oh Canada in their school careers either.

Been to a hockey game lately? I would venture to say that over 50% of the people don't even know the words to this country's anthem. As much as some have a distaste for our southern neighbours and their rather parochial view of the world...they do know their national anthem.

In fact, why is the national anthem played at sporting events....it's ridiculous. Do they play the national anthem at the start of a movie, or any other entertainment event.

And I would suggest that knowing the words to a song does not make one any more or any less Canadian......it's just indoctrination.

Although not perfect, I think Canada is the greatest country on the planet for a pluralistic society. I know that because I'm educated and have examined many countries around the world. Maybe schools should spend more time educating and less time singing.

On the other hand, many Americans think their country is great but not because they know any better.......90% have never set foot outside their country. They've been indoctrinated with false patriotism.

I'm proud of Canada because it's a great country. Not because I've been indoctrinated to think so, but because I'm educated and I know.

I submit that we take up a collection for the 'Others' to have a first class ticket to wherever they came from.  Lift their Canadian passport at the bridgehead on the way out.

Iceman

Iceman

Don't you mean "AS A CANADIAN G0DDAMIT EH!"

Because that is what I mean!

Regards,

60N30W

Dating myself....but it was played before a movie started....eons ago biggrin.gif

Pretty sad when you don't know the words to the country's national anthem...a lot of good men and women died to keep this country free.....but then again perhaps there are those that would head for the hills rather than "stand on guard for thee".

YYC I/C... You keep posting that you are educated.......seems your education lacks in a particular area. I would suggest you do a little research on how the anthem came to be, and why we have it.

http://www.pch.gc.ca/pgm/ceem-cced/symbl/anthem-eng.cfm#a10

It's a free country, thank God, but I would be very embarassed if I did not know at least some solid facts about the history of this country and its traditions.

There is no specific rule as to when it is appropriate to sing the national anthem at an event. It is up to the organizers to determine if "O Canada" will be sung at the beginning or at the end of a ceremony. If two anthems are to be played at the beginning of an event, "O Canada" should be played first followed by the other one. When anthems are played at the end of an event, "O Canada" should be played last.

Been a while since I have been to a NHL hockey game but don't they play the other countries anthem first then O Canada at the beginning of each game?

Archived