Iggy would lead Liberal/NDP coalition

dagger

Guest floatrrr

What a sad , SAD day for Canada, when a complete moron will be running the country if the 3 musketeers succeed.

Time for a Western Separatist movement.

Idiots want to throw money at the floundering big 3 with tax payers dollars? Those are all Eastern jobs. DOWN with the Bloc, DOWN with the NDP! DOWN with the Liberals!

mad.gif

• Replies 305
  • Created
  • Last Reply

As I said yesterday, I find this whole political debacle shameless, and right now the only party that would gain even a modicum of my interest at the polls would be the Green party, and that's only because they're not involved in this mess. There's nothing quite like engaging in a self-interested power struggle while the economy is crumbling. The US just officially announced that they've been in a recession since last December. How far behind can we be? Instead of trying to minimize the impact, we're fighting over the toys in the sand box. Pathetic.

But it's also time for a little reality check here, folks. While it might be "nice" for the Governor General to step in and call an election, the rules of Parliament don't make it that simple. Forming a coalition to build a majority, and thus gain the right to govern, is 100% within the rules of Parliament. If you don't agree, I ask you to consider what happened when Chuck Cadman crossed the floor to join the Conservative party, thus changing the voting dynamic in the house. If the Bloc and NDP decided en masse to cross the floor and join the Liberals, it would be a majority, correct? The coalition is virtually the same thing. Do I like it that a professed separatist party has the keys to the city? Not on your life. That doesn't make it illegal, nor does it create a constitutional crisis in itself.

It is interesting to see here that fingers are being pointed at the Bloc as a party that is trying to break up the country.

As I see it, they are participating in a coalition to do what the majority of Canadians see as being good for the country, in that they are supporting measures to help keep the country out of an economic meltdown.

Strange that it is the voices from out west that are talking separation.....

Iceman

You don't have to worry about the ROC when you hold most of the population....

Eric

I know this didn't come across like you meant it, but this is exactly how the west believes the east thinks, and could you imagine the outcry if you replaced ROC with Quebec sad.gif

Brett

What a sad , SAD day for Canada, when a complete moron will be running the country if the 3 musketeers succeed.

Time for a Western Separatist movement.

Idiots want to throw money at the floundering big 3 with tax payers dollars? Those are all Eastern jobs. DOWN with the Bloc, DOWN with the NDP! DOWN with the Liberals!

mad.gif

The manufacturing jobs are of course in the east, but all of the dealerships that would be affected should one of the 3 fail has implications for all of us, now having said that, I believe that any form of bailout should see the Gov (we the taxpayer) be given control of the board and a complete change of all the upper management with no golden parachutes.

It is interesting to see here that fingers are being pointed at the Bloc as a party that is trying to break up the country. 

As I see it, they are participating in a coalition to do what the majority of Canadians see as being good for the country, in that they are supporting measures to help keep the country out of an economic meltdown.

Strange that it is the voices from out west that are talking separation.....

Iceman

Ice

The Bloc's mandate is separation, their only reason for being is to break up the country otherwise everyone in Quebec would probably vote liberal wink.gif

You are correct when you say that the majority of Canadians didn't vote for Harper, but what you didn't say was that a lot more people voted for him than any of the other leaders, and one has to wonder how many of the people would have voted for the NDP or the Liberals had the known they would be forming a coalition with the Bloc (or each other for that matter). The question that needs to be answered is what was promised to the Bloc?

Brett

G'day Brett

I look at it from the point of view, from the statements put forth, that in the simplest of terms, the rest of the country has united to address an economic situation.

It is a situation that was/is being ignored by the minority government. It is very important, yet the same element in the party that brought economic hardship to Ontario is now trying to do the same to the whole country.

Call it what you want, it is the elected officials who represent the majority of canadian voters(notice the way I voiced that) who are trying to do something for the country as a whole. Not just for one economic group or corporate agenda.

The time for that type of economic thinking is passed. Steve should realise that, instead of being blinded by megalomaniacal desires.

In my opinion, I also see this as the people of Canada wanting to protect that which makes us Canadian, instead of trying to emulate a failed American agenda.

As for the Bloc, in this situation, I see them as being aligned with Canada in that they acknowledge that the country is faltering, and it wouldn't be in their peoples best interest to further fracture the country(at this time). So I see them supporting this, in a limited way, for a preset time.

It is the western element that is calling for the breaking up of Confederation, or is it just the remaining radical Reform party followers?

Simply put, yes, but sometimes simple is best.

Rgds...

Iceman

Guest rattler

And while we are on the subject (of saving money). Our GG is coming back early from her latest trip but I have not heard much if anything about what she was to accomplish on our behalf. Since we are paying for her trips, I would expect to receive an accounting of her accomplishments on our behalf or are these travels just glorified vacations? Some of her trip reports can be read at http://canada.gc.ca/whats-quoi/whaind-eng.html but appear to be fluff without any suststance or value to Canada.

Evidently, at least according to the following we spend more on her travel than we do on the PM and his entire staff.

“Her Excellency the Right Honourable Michaëlle Jean, Governor General of Canada” (left) is acting like a sovereign and is using our tax dollars to pay the tab.  We, the taxpayers, of Canada are paying for Governor Jean’s (GJ) travel on the the Canadian Government’s private jets to the tune of $11,000 per hour?  She cost us more in her travel expenses than did the Prime Minister!  The Standard

reports that GJ spent $834,461 on executive jet travel in the 18- month period from January 2007 to June 2008, compared to $808,136

for Prime Minister Harper and his staff

Brett,

The bloc's raison d'être is constantly brought up when federal elections come around. The purpose of the bloc has shifted from one of creating conditions for separation to representing Quebec's interest within Canada. Strangely enough....if Canadian politics came back towards the center, I think the bloc would probably cease to be as it would lose multiple seats. Stephen Harper and Stéphane Dion, are the reason the Bloc did so well....

Dion=lame duck Pm, who will not be able to make a decision without the approval of Iggy, Taliban Jack and Mr Duceppe.

Layton= opportunist extrodanaire, never in his life, or for that matter, of the NDP did they think they would be in a position to affect government and national policy. Put his agenda aside, I DON'T THINK SO.

Duceppe= he is really the only one you can respect in this whole thing. He has stated all along what his agenda has been and still is and that is the advancement of issues that are to the benifit of Quebec and his separatist ideals. If the other two idiots will help him along, WELL! why not! All this will do is improve the standing of the Bloc within the province of Quebec at the expense of the Liberals.

Bottom line is Dion/Iggy have choosen to polarize the nation, along EAST/WEST lines again. Mr Duceppe he doesn't care, his agenda and that of BQ is right back on track and he is loving it.

As for what the GG will do, this women is a closet separatist. What do you think she's going to do? She will allow Mr Duceppe to have his way, for as long as he can get away with it. The back room boys have been working overtime since the election and this deal is as good as closed.

If I were Harper I'd hand the keys over and start taking notes.

Dion=lame duck Pm, who will not be able to make a decision without the approval of Iggy, Taliban Jack and Mr Duceppe.

Layton= opportunist extrodanaire, never in his life, or for that matter, of the NDP did they think they would be in a position to affect government and national policy. Put his agenda aside, I DON'T THINK SO.

Duceppe= he is really the only one you can respect in this whole thing. He has stated all along what his agenda has been and still is and that is the advancement of issues that are to the benifit of Quebec and his separatist ideals. If the other two idiots will help him along, WELL! why not! All this will do is improve the standing of the Bloc within the province of Quebec at the expense of the Liberals.

Bottom line is Dion/Iggy have choosen to polarize the nation, along EAST/WEST lines again. Mr Duceppe he doesn't care, his agenda and that of BQ is right back on track and he is loving it.

As for what the GG will do, this women is a closet separatist. What do you think she's going to do? She will allow Mr Duceppe to have his way, for as long as he can get away with it. The back room boys have been working overtime since the election and this deal is as good as closed.

Wow ohmy.gif

That could have been written by Rush Limbaugh tongue.gif

Iceman

In my opinion, I also see this as the people of Canada wanting to protect that which makes us Canadian, instead of trying to emulate a failed American agenda.

Ice

I think this is were a lot of the problem lies, no one in the west wants to be American, and we are in fact Canadian, we generally don't think along the same lines lines or hold the same core beliefs that people out east do, but we are Canadian.

I have been lucky enough to have lived at both ends of this country (and in the middle) and have seen first hand the differences, and have come to respect that we will never have a true Canadian identity because of the differences sad.gif

Brett

Brett,

The bloc's raison d'être is constantly brought up when federal elections come around. The purpose of the bloc has shifted from one of creating conditions for separation to representing Quebec's interest within Canada. Strangely enough....if Canadian politics came back towards the center, I think the bloc would probably cease to be as it would lose multiple seats. Stephen Harper and Stéphane Dion, are the reason the Bloc did so well....

Eric

"Sovereignty will ensure that Québec will take its true place in the world"

http://www.blocquebecois.org/archivage/blq...tese-anglo1.pdf

wink.gif

Brett

Eric

"Sovereignty will ensure that Québec will take its true place in the world"

http://www.blocquebecois.org/archivage/blq...tese-anglo1.pdf

wink.gif

Brett

After the Quebec election next week, it's likely that the Bloc's official reason for being will be as relevant to modern times - and as likely to happen - as Article 1 of the PLO constitution. Article 1 hasn't stopped the PLO, er... PA, from negotiating with Israel as an entity it is ready to co-exist with.

Brett,

Notice that of all the whining and complaining that goes on about the present situation comes from the west, no one from the east seems to be complaining.

With the Liberals cruising towards a majority government in Québec on the 8 of December, I don't understand what the hoopla about separation is....

I have been lucky enough to have lived at both ends of this country (and in the middle) and have seen first hand the differences, and have come to respect that we will never have a true Canadian identity because of the differences sad.gif

Brett

I agree wholeheartedly with you Brett...

It is the 'differences' that make us uniquely Canadian rather than the melting pot south of the border.

We, as Canadians, must come to this realisation and use it to our benefit rather than using it to divide.

I guess that's the problem when there is more physical distance in one province than in most countries worldwide.

Iceman

As for what the GG will do, this women is a closet separatist.  What do you think she's going to do?  She will allow Mr Duceppe to have his way, for as long as he can get away with it.  The back room boys have been working overtime since the election and this deal is as good as closed. 

I believe Harper still has the option to ask the GG for dissolution...thereby triggering an election.

It will be interesting to see if Harper plays this card.

It may be wiser to let the coalition show just what a bumbling bunch they are. Only thing is the Country will probably pay a greater economic price.

Not a good situation either way.

Brett,

Notice that of all the whining and complaining that goes on about the present situation comes from the west, no one from the east seems to be complaining.

With the Liberals cruising towards a majority government in Québec on the 8 of December, I don't understand what the hoopla about separation is....

Umm, not quite so fast. There are lots of people in YYZ saying this coalintion is a farce.

The fact is that the coalition of nitwits will have be incredibly under represented from the west. Dion and Layton have both said things in the past that indicate that they would go after the energy sector. Right now the energy sector is one of the few good things driving the economy and these ass clowns want to get their hands on it.

Maybe we can look forward to more Layton flyovers of the Oil Sands and Dion wanting to impose the poorly thought out Green Shift.

Letting Layton anywhere near the governement credit card is like letting a rat guard the cheese, both in action and facial resemblance.

Rush Limbaugh! Me, I don't think so! laugh.gifwink.gif Always moved between center left/right, until the Cretin was half way through his first term. Then I was diffinitly on the right.

As far as what's going on now, it matter not who runs the country. The same basic problems are there, lack of consumer confidense, for the obvious reasons. Those of us who feel they have secure jobs are retrenching, and eliminating debt as quickly as we can. If you have money, or not, people are just keeping it in their collective pockets, no amount of encouragement from the conservatives or the pending coalition government is going to pry it out of your wallet or mine. The later part of 09 or middle of 10, you will see a pend up demand for consumer goods and naturally the economies of North America will recover. It's been my experience over the last thirty years, the first thing to go in any house hold or business is non essential travel, so you and I, at AC are going suffer right up late fall of 2010. AC doesn't have the cash to bleed that long, no matter what daggar thinks.

The bottom line, to everyone here, is that no matter who runs the country, we are all in for a very difficult couple of years. What's happening Ottawa right now to me is just a matter of principle and is absolutly uncalled for. nothing short of power grab, that demonstrates a lack of governace/stability, when we need it most. sad.gif

Guest floatrrr
Brett,

Ha Ha, maybe those complaints from the West have something to do with why the Liberals did nothing to bail out the forestry, fishing industry out West, but are all too happy to bring down the government to pick up votes out East.

Down with the East! A strong and Separate West! biggrin.gif

Archived