Sign in to follow this  
deicer

Way Cool Pic

Great photo, and I am old enough to remember. My mom still has the NASA scrapbook that I started in 1966. I'm sure Don H would like to get his hands on that upconverting technology.

Of course, the NASA conspiracy theorists will claim that since none of the earth's topography is recognizable in the picture, this must be a fake, just like the moon landings themselves. dry.gif

J.O.;

I'm sure Don H would like to get his hands on that upconverting technology.

laugh.gif It is indeed phenomenal - it has far more depth than the original. I recall the photo as well as many of the early US initiatives after the USSR launched Sputnik in 1957. Great link iceman, thank you!

Of course, the NASA conspiracy theorists will claim that since none of the earth's topography is recognizable in the picture, this must be a fake, just like the moon landings themselves.

It isn't the wing-nut conspiracy-theorists who think the photos are fake that are bothersome and entertaining - it is the politicians and economists who think that the photos are fake, that "ecology" is a radical left-wing conspiracy, and who believe that we can do anything we want to our home and not think about the outcomes, who are troublesome. How lucky we have been to witness the one technological change that has helped a few politicians and fewer economists see "Gaia", the only home mankind has.

Shortly into this new century, at a holiday meal gathering, a discussion came up on the previous century. One of my children posed a question, what single image best captured the previous 100 years. Many answers flowed around the table but mine, while not this exact photo, was one similar. (I believe the one I had in mind was a similar Apollo 8 photo). For the first time in our collective history, mankind was able to view itself from a previously unkown perspective.

Glyn

When I see any pictures of Earth from space, I can't help but think of our overall insignificance in the grand scheme of time and space. ...

In space, were a mere "mote of dust".

In time, the entire history of human existence takes the tiniest fraction of an even smaller fraction of the age of the universe, and the span of our own lives is a small fraction of that.

Except to ourselves and to our loved ones, we clearly don't count!

How incredible that we can even contemplate that! - I guess that's the sort of thing that can make someone believe in a higher power.

If those sorts of pictures are the "Pictures of the Century", then I'd say the "Time of the Century" was when Edwin Hubble solved the question of The Great Debate and we saw our own galaxy as just one of many, and how vast the Universe really is.

This was one of mankind's greatest achievement's. The pathetic thing is now fast forward 30+ years and what have the the 'bean counter' generations achieved...

This was supposed to have been the dawn of the space age, not the sunset.

Guest rattler
This was one of mankind's greatest achievement's. The pathetic thing is now fast forward 30+ years and what have the the 'bean counter' generations achieved...

Just think, when we land on Mars, will we say the same???

We've achieved a great deal in terms of our knowledge and understanding of space in the past 30 years. It's only manned space travel that hasn't progressed much.

Look at all the probes we've sent all over the solar system, and what we've learned from their data... look at what we've learned from direct observation by the HST as well as other space and ground based telescopes...

Manned space travel isn't such a big deal in my mind... We don't last long enough to make distances farther than Mars even worth considering. It would be cool to see a manned expedition to Mars though. Maybe we still will someday?

Manned exploration of space beyond the current boundaries will require significant technological advances that are far beyond what we currently know and what is foreseen in the pipeline. The physical challenges alone due to long term cosmic radiation exposure and serious muscular atrophy are tough enough for a 3 month stint on the ISS, never mind a two year journey to Mars. Not to mention the type of vehicle it would take just to pull it off.

To me, we would be much better off to use the billions of dollars that are currently spent on manned space exploration to develop long term alternative clean energy sources and increased food supplies for the earth's occupants.

To me, we would be much better off to use the billions of dollars that are currently spent on manned space exploration to develop long term alternative clean energy sources and increased food supplies for the earth's occupants

Agree............this Space Station issue is a total waste of money. I think we should clean up our own back yard before we get into this "manned" space stuff.

Yes I know, "Tang" was a product founded on the basis of space travel requirements and, most everyone likes Tang ,but the rest of the "manned" stuff is a big waste of money even if it does keep the unemployment rate down. dry.gif

Yes I know, "Tang" was a product founded on the basis of space travel requirements and, most everyone likes Tang ,but the rest of the "manned" stuff is a big waste of money even if it does keep the unemployment rate down. dry.gif

Tang is also great for cleaning your dishwasher. Put some in both soap dishes run thru a cycle and voila - squeaky clean dishwasher.

As far as expenses are concerned I agree. stop the space race. If there are more intelligent life forms out there - let them come to us and share their knowledge.

Guest rattler

As far as expenses are concerned I agree. stop the space race. If there are more intelligent life forms out there - let them come to us and share their knowledge.

I wonder if the Natives in North & South America thought the same prior to 1492 tongue.gif

I wonder if the Natives in North & South America thought the same prior to 1492 tongue.gif

Not even in the same ballpark ...Rattler.....thank goodness you used a smily...for a minute I thought you were serious. wink.gif

Tang is also great for cleaning your dishwasher. Put some in both soap dishes run thru a cycle and voila - squeaky clean dishwasher.

It might smell nice and orangey but squeaky clean? I don't know.... blink.gif

Maybe sticky clean.

Guest rattler

Not even in the same ballpark ...Rattler.....thank goodness you used a smily...for a minute I thought you were serious. wink.gif

Well, when you consider some of what we shared with the natives in North America, they might have done better by meeting us more than 1/2 way rather than being forced to take what we chose to give them upon our arrival.

It might smell nice and orangey but squeaky clean? I don't know.... blink.gif

Maybe sticky clean.

Try it - you will be amazed at how clean your dishwasher tub becomes.

No sticky - no orange smell - just clean.

Guest craigfin

"Who are we? We find that we live on an insignificant planet of a humdrum star lost in a galaxy tucked away in some forgotten corner of a universe in which there are far more galaxies than people." Carl Sagan

I think if we spent as much money on exploring the universe as we do on "GREEN technology" it would be a good start. My granddad never waited til the outhouse was full before he started diggin' a new one.