Thoughts please? ...Pilots... AME's...?

Mitch Cronin

biggrin.gif See that grin?.... That's me all day today. Yes, the test flight did happen, and I got to go! biggrin.gif YeeeHaaw! What an airplane! Absolutely awesome machine! ...and the engines both performed flawlessly... numbers bang on evenly matched the whole time.

Apparently I needn't have worried, it's evidently a flight ops policy to do a test flight after a dual engine change. biggrin.gifbiggrin.gif

Yo Mitch: I've followed the thread. My common-sense tingles say yes, a test flight would be prudent.

But I've had common-sense tingles for decades. So what does that mean?

I've trusted my engineering staff. With a few exceptions. Thus, if not necessary, I'm not going to lose sleep if it's not been done. Why? Because every 6 months I go through rigorous training "what to do" if things don't go according to Hoyle.

Part of your question actually goes against our pilot profession in that you are asking us to second guess "estabilished maintenance practices" in support of your question. On the other hand, changing things to what you've suggested would make post-flights of a multiple engine change more safe.

Who could possibly argue with that?

Back during my Navajo fly'n days, I had an AME try to pishaw me out the door on a plane that had landing gear issues. He was more than happy to send the pilots out after doing basically nothing to fix the snag, until I told him he'd be on board for the test flight. 3 hours later the plane was properly fixed and off we went to do some circuits.

Archived