Sunwing

Thebean

Most recently, Colin and his son Stephen, the COO of Sunwing Vacations, won an Ernst and Young Entrepreneur of the Year award for 2007, which Hunter finds amusing: “All I know is that Ernst and Young turned us down when we offered them our audit business years ago. I thought that was quite funny.”

http://www.travelhotnews.com/reportages.ph...quence_no=17235

Just a bit stale wouldn't you say?

They would open their books in a heartbeat if it stopped this kind of speculation.

As Bean would say caveat emptor

• Replies 87
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Sunwing is not an airline. It is a vacation tour operator. They have been around since 1985. Between Red Seal Vacations and Sunwing (consortium), it is one of the largest tour operators in the country.

How did their customers get south before Sunwing Airlines began? By buying space on other carriers or wet-leasing entire airplanes. This costs a lot of money. More money than it does to start your own bus company and drive your customers down there on your own.

This is not at all like JetsGo who bought airplanes and then tried there best to fill them as a reactionary measure. Every summer Sunwing releases a winter sked based on projections and starts selling. Unlike most airlines, they have the luxury of looking at future bookings and making an accurate analysis of how many airplanes they need. They then go to their overseas partners who want to dump their airplanes in the winter and negotiate terms on how many airplanes and crews they will require. This "expansion" is a product of confirmed vacations and they are simply adding the proper number of airplanes to fly these customers.

What happens if bookings slow and they do not require the 15 airplanes? The winter leases are not signed until the fall as I understand, so they trim an airplane or two from overseas and Sunwing itself keeps it's airplane and crew numbers the same.

Another reason why they are hiring so many from Zoom is the fact that Zoom operated a 767 YVR-CUN on behalf of Sunwing and now that is gone. This may mean that they are going to have to add another 737 or two for this loss of lift.

Point is, Sunwing is obviously expanding, but it is doing so as a result of real numbers and requirements. They are reducing the number of contracts with other airlines to carry their passengers and are bringing more of the flying in house.

This business has always existed, they are simply trying to expand their own bus service to meet the need.

I can certainly appreciate the fact that looking at Sunwing as a traditional airline would be troubling seeing how they are expanding. It does look a lot like many airlines that have come and gone, however, you cannot compare them - it is apples and oranges.

Also, every flight I have seen south is always full - you can basically count on having a full load without exception. It is clear to me that they are doing nothing more than meeting demand.

I pulled this off some other forum. I thought it might be an interesting read here. It was a one-time poster in response to how fast they seem to be expanding.

They would open their books in a heartbeat if it stopped this kind of speculation.

As Bean would say caveat emptor

And if Saddam had said; "Come on in; we have no WMD" ---he'd still be in power, right?

I don't know----even when it's in your own best interests, it's sometimes a tad difficult to bend over and say; "Go ahead; have a look."

Holiday firm XL in administration

Tour operators have been hit by soaring fuel costs

Tens of thousands of British tourists who booked with the tour operator group, XL, are facing massive disruption to their holidays.

The company has gone into administration and all its flights have now been grounded.

It is not yet clear how many holidaymakers in Northern Ireland will be affected.

The firm operates out of Belfast International Airport to destinations in Greece.

The Civil Aviation Authority (CAA) said 85,000 people across the UK could be stranded abroad and 200,000 have made advance bookings with the company.

David Clover, a spokesman for the CAA, said it would be making arrangements to help customers of the four tour companies within the XL group.

"In respect of people who are currently abroad we're making arrangements and working very closely with the travel industry to organise repatriation flights.

"Clearly though, with XL Airways no longer operating, we're having to bring in substitute aircraft to bring people home."

Economic downturn

An XL flight from Orlando to Gatwick was grounded shortly before take-off. A source at the airport said accommodation was being found for the "distressed" passengers. An earlier XL flight bound for Manchester left as planned.

XL COMPANIES

XL Leisure Group

XL Airways UK

Excel Aviation

Explorer House

Aspire Holiday

Freedom Flights

Freedom Flights (Aviation)

The Really Great Holiday Company

Medlife Hotels

Travel City Flights

Kosmar Villa Holidays

The group is the latest travel business to face financial difficulties, as the industry struggles with high fuel costs and an economic downturn.

The XL group, which is based in Crawley, West Sussex, runs an airline and owns several travel companies, including Travel City Direct, Medlife Hotels Limited, The Really Great Holiday Company, Freedom Flights and Kosmar Holidays.

The group, which carried 2.3 million passengers last year, has 1,700 employees worldwide.

A statement on the XL group's website said: "The companies entered into administration having suffered as a result of volatile fuel prices, the economic downturn, and were unable to obtain further funding."

Package holidaymakers have financial protection under the Air Travel Organisers' Licensing (Atol) scheme.

But customers who booked directly through the XL website or call centres are not protected.

People who booked through a credit or debit card can contact their card issuer to see if they can refund their money.

Precarious

The Civil Aviation Authority will arrange return flights for people already on holiday, but a fee is payable for this service.

The company flies mainly from bases at Gatwick, Manchester and Glasgow airports.

If the news is true, it is a major, major thing for the industry

Bob Atkinson, Travel Supermarket

Travel writer Simon Calder said XL had 21 aircraft and flew to the Caribbean, Mediterranean, North Africa and North America, from airports across the UK.

He said: "There are still going to be tens of thousands, maybe hundreds of thousands of people...who find that they are either stranded abroad, or find that they are booked to travel in the next days, weeks, months, and they simply won't be going anywhere, I'm afraid."

Bob Atkinson, of the price comparison website Travel Supermarket said XL's troubles would be a blow for the travel trade.

He said: "They are a very large operator and this will send serious shock waves through the industry.

"And what it's going to do more than anything, it's going to highlight how precarious the airline industry is at the moment."

Jim Duwaine, from Portsmouth, said he was given the news when he arrived at Gatwick where he had been due to catch an early morning flight to Menorca.

He said: "Absolutely devastated. Got up at midnight planning on going on holiday, but got let down, unfortunately. We're here, just trying to get some other flights, but it's not looking good. I think everyone else has got the same idea."

XL is the current kit sponsor of West Ham United football club.

TORONTO, Sept. 12 /CNW/ - Sunwing Airlines announced today expanded lease

agreements with aircraft suppliers and lessors for its growing fleet

operations for this upcoming winter season.

Mark Williams, president of Sunwing Airlines, said "We have been in

discussion with major aircraft leasing companies and other airlines in Europe,

regarding the deployment of aircraft for our peak winter season programme.

Sunwing already has agreements in place with three other European airlines for

seasonal movement of aircraft and crews, replacing previous agreements with XL

Airways."

Stephen Hunter COO of Sunwing Travel Group commented "We are very pleased

to expand our existing commercial relationships and agreements with quality

European airlines and world-renowned leasing companies. This allows us to move

forward meeting all of our flying commitments as planned."

"Our customers and travel agent partners have become accustomed to

Sunwing delivering a better product at a lower price," added Williams. "That

is what has fuelled our growth and profits. We are looking forward to serving

more customers from more locations with our expanded fleet of modern

aircraft."

Sunwing Airlines will expand to a fleet of 15 Next-Generation aircraft

during winter 2008/09, and operate from 29 cities in Canada to 35 destinations

in the U.S., Mexico, the Caribbean and Central America. The carrier operates

an all B737-800 fleet, due to the aircraft's fuel efficiency - as much as 4

per cent better than aircraft of a similar size - and popularity with

passengers.

This winter it is introducing a new category of service, "Elite Plus"

whereby passengers enjoy advance seat selection, extra legroom seating,

priority boarding, 30 kg baggage allowance and priority check-in in Canada,

all for as little as $35 per flight.

• 3 years later...

My wife and I were married on December 11th and due to both being hospital employees could not get honeymoon time off together until early April.

We decided to book a 5 star Cancun vacation with Sunwing because they were one of few companies offering 5 night vacations out of Toronto for a good price.

We ended up selecting Sens Del Mar as our hotel because they advertised a special honeymooner package procured simply by presenting a wedding certificate dated within the last six months at check in.

This package included VIP check in with cocktail, free upgrade to best room available, fruit plate and bottle of sparkling wine in room, romantic dinner for two with bottle of wine, and something else that is slipping my mind.

Despite simply saying to present certificate at check in, we still emailed ahead for the honeymoon package and did not receive any response.

Upon arriving 3 hours early to check in for our flight, we requested the favour of exit row seating due to me being 6'9" and us being on our honeymoon. We were informed that we could have the upgrade, for $40 a piece just like everyone else.

After boarding the flight and me having to hang my legs in the aisle, we were told by the flight attendant that we had to move to the exit row because they couldn't get the drink cart down the aisle.

The bad news? There were not two seats together. I did not get to sit with my wife on the plane on our honeymoon, which was our first vacation and flight together.

Upon arriving to check in, we were ignored for over ten minutes while the staff chatted behind the desk. We were eventually helped, and the hotel claimed no prior knowledge of our honeymoon.

It is convenient how they on the booking site have no way to inform them, and they also ignore your emails, but you are somehow supposed to let them know.

After photocopying our marriage license, we were upgraded. We weren't upgraded to the best room, but simply from street view to ocean view.

The next morning we met with a Sunwing rep and informed her that we had not received anything promised in our booking. We hadn't even received the bottle of tequila everyone gets from Sunwing at this point.

She feigned shock and looked into it for us. She came back to let us know that this was all news to the hotel, and they needed a copy of our marriage license, which they had already copied 12 hours previous.

The sunwing rep promised to get back to us with the rest of our package. We eventually got a tequila bottle from her in the room the next day, but otherwise never saw or heard from her again.

On the trip home, we spent 90 min in the airport waiting to check in. When we finally checked in, we found out the flight was delayed another 90 minutes for unspecified reasons.

Once we finally got boarded, I found out to my delight that the Sunwing agent had assigned me a middle seat at 6'9 265 and my wife a window seat for a 3.5 hour full flight. A 5'0 french speaking lady was given the aisle and refused to trade because her friend was sitting across the aisle.

We then sat for 2 hours on a full plane while waiting for a repairman to take his time showing up to repair a chair that would not stay upright so that we could leave. During this time, a flight attendant remarked as to how uncomfortable I looked but no assistance was given whatsoever to remedy my visible discomfort.

After being wedged in that chair for 5.5 hours, we finally got home with my entire body in pain. I have a picture of myself jammed into the middle seat for reference. I emailed sunwing to complain about how poorly we were treated on our honeymoon and was returned an auto response letting me know that my email would be addressed in 4-6 weeks.

Never again, Sunwing. Their employees had their hands out for tips the entire trip but did absolutely nothing to ensure their clients had the experience they were even promised, let alone even think of trying to go above and beyond to make a monumental trip memorable.

BigShow5454

Did you do any research at all on SUNWING before you booked a very important honeymoon Trip.

It doesn't take much research on the web to see thousands of stories similar to yours.

It sounds like you perhaps were asking for a J class experience on a slightly less that Y airline.

SB

Never again, Sunwing.

Forgive me, but I bet you'll go for the cheapest "deal" next time too.

It always stumps me to see people being as cheap as they can, and then complaining about the quality of what they got. "You get what you pay for" Remember that?

An in charge I used to fly with had a great response for passengers who asked for upgrades but didn't want to pay for them:

"if you bought a k-car, would you expect to be delivered a Cadillac?

So, if it's your honeymoon and you buy the cheapest package you can find without doing any research, and don't want to pay for advanced seat selection but want other people who checked in before you to move so you can sit together, and don't want to pay for extra leg room even though you're 6'9"... You got what you paid for.

Sympathy is easier to find in the dictionary - somewhere between **bleep** and syphilis.

Oh by the way, when I come by in a few weeks for my shoulder surgery, be a pal and tell the doc I'd like him to throw in a nose job at the same time.

Wow, tough crowd. I think the point he's trying to make is that he didn't even get the stuff promised let alone any comps. I doubt he would have taken the time to write if everything at the hotel was correct and it was just the seat assignment that didn't work out for him. Nothing wrong with expecting and/or complaining about it if you don't get what is promised even if it's a less expensive product. I agree with the previous comments regarding seat assignment though - if you're tall and want to sit someplace specific - gotta pay upfront.

these characters sure arent doing themselves any favours by having the Rep disappear. If a tour company is to be successful then their customer service should be top notch. The Rep should have done everything possible for the couple to ensure they got what was promised.

When I booked my honeymoon several years ago we ended up on Royal going to Mexico. We made sure in advance that they knew it was our honeymoon when we booked. we got a free room upgrade and complimentary Champagne in the room with a gift basket. On the flight we were not given special seating but i did not expect it (I am 6'4" tall) however we were given Champagne on the flight and were treated very well by the crew. The Representative at the hotel was readily available when needed (schedule was posted of her availability) and she was very helpful in planning activities we wanted to do. The experience was excellent. Funny royal always got a bad rap but it was a great trip.

I wasnt looking for the cheapest honeymoon I could find I was looking for the one we wanted and it so happenned that Royal was the airline and Sunquest was the tour operator. if I look for the vacation I want right now there are only a couple of choices as to the airline supplier neither is a "major" carrier.

The honeymoon bonus package was a separate perk offered by the hotel. Maybe this complaint should be posted on a hotel employee website?

This isn't the passenger complaints department website. This should be posted on an airline/hotel review site, not here.

Wow, tough crowd. I think the point he's trying to make is that he didn't even get the stuff promised let alone any comps. I doubt he would have taken the time to write if everything at the hotel was correct and it was just the seat assignment that didn't work out for him. Nothing wrong with expecting and/or complaining about it if you don't get what is promised even if it's a less expensive product. I agree with the previous comments regarding seat assignment though - if you're tall and want to sit someplace specific - gotta pay upfront.

You won't hear me defend Sunwing's product or abysmal customer care very often, but in this instance, the fellow got precisely what he paid for, which wasn't very much.

Had Lurch spent 15 minutes on-line researching Sunwing, he would have recognized pretty quickly that the outfit was probably not one he should have risked his honeymoon on.

No worries, though...... Statistically, he's got about a 75% chance of enjoying another honeymoon in less than 10 years time. I doubt Sunwing will be around to abuse him then......

post-5306-0-58833700-1335465940_thumb.jp

Archived