Ex-pilot's suit sets record for damages

Azure

Well, that's going to be a very expensive knee jerk reaction for SkyService. I don't know if that CP is still the CP, but I'm sure he's not to popular with his bosses this morning. laugh.gifph34r.gif

In future get your evindence and your ducks in a row before you try and fire someone. ph34r.gif

I guess there is some justice in the world, congratulations to Captain Fennimore

I was fired from a job a many years ago based on the paranoid accusations of an alcoholic who was just randomly lashing out at my department because we had violated her perceived turf in some way. At that time I was very young, very broke and in poor health and didn't have the resources or energy to fight it.

It took me more than a year to find another real job, although I got my justice a couple of years ago when I would learn what had become of that pathetic woman.

I used to work with Rick; great guy. It's nice to see he won after such a long road to get to this day. I never believed he was the type to take the risk that was alleged in the story.

I worked with him also. I'll bet it has been a hard road, but then he always was a tenacious SOB wink.gif.

The cruel part of these things is the tendency for people to think that where there's smoke, there must be some fire. Guess the jury found that sometimes it's an arsonist, but a troubling thing is the other angle on this. If the court record and jury verdict are even halfway right, it's a stinging indictment of some personal and corporate behaviour. The lawyer/spokesman in the story disputes only the amount of the award. Appeals may adjust the monitary penalty; are the defendants now saying anything to rehabilitate their own reputations?

On another front, while citing Rick's prior ALPA involvement (at his previous employer), the story makes no reference to any current association/union assistance. Can anybody here say if SkyPAC helped him at all? I cannot imagine that in an ALPA shop (or ACPA, CAW, Teamsters?) that this would have received less than a full defense.

After the initial ... WOW ... it's not out of line that a pilot, and particularly a Captain, would get exceptional redress in a case of unjustified dismissal. With the seniority systems that govern advancement, the loss of a command position is particularly hard to overcome, and the setback usually more severe than would be the case for other professionals. Where mischief or malice is involved, that makes it all the more egregious. It would be good for us all if that precedent stands.

Cheers, IFG

I think anyone that worked with Rick knows he liked a good scrap(especially us IFG, where 'Hot Standby' in the YHM crew room was known to have a soapbox speech every now and then)

I can't say anyone would want a 7 year fight of this magnitude, but he did win.

Archived