Lodestar in the Woods...

Steam Driven

On Aug. 20, 1960, while CF-CPA was performing aerial photography, it suffered fuel starvation and belly-landed 100 miles north of Schefferville, Que. As a result of the pilot’s extraordinary skills, no one was injured and the plane sustained only minimal damage

Well, Bravo......and now off to a fuel management class....... tongue.gif

The pilot couldn't be related the recent "Azores" pilot could he??..nahhhh laugh.gif

Lodestar, is that the same as a Ventura bomber or are they totally different types. The reason why I ask is that several years ago, around 87, a ventura bomber that was converted for civil aviation was pulled out of the bush, just north of YZF. I understand that the A/C is in YEG, in various stages of restoration, anyone have any info on this one.

Guest rattler

Lodestar, is that the same as a Ventura bomber or are they totally different types.  The reason why I ask is that several years ago, around 87, a ventura bomber that was converted for civil aviation was pulled out of the bush, just north of YZF.  I understand that the A/C is in YEG, in various stages of restoration, anyone have any info on this one.

Evidently it was produced from the Lodestar or so Wikipedia states:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Lockheed_Ventura

Interesting piece on the Ventura at: http://www.rcafventura.ca/pages/history.htm

Spartan Aerial Surveys of Ottawa quickly bought the Ventura and placed it into service on photo contracts in Canada’s Arctic. It was performing this duty when it came to rest on the Tundra north of Yellowknife on August 14th, 1953.

Here the aircraft sat, now registered CF-FAV, watching a endless parade of seasons for 34 years until I surveyed the site in 1987. History had not been kind and no information about the aircraft along with those that served on them all those years could be readily found.

Thus began the formation of the Ventura Memorial Flight Association, a group dedicated to the preserving of this history and the aircraft. The first order of business was to recover CF-FAV and it would be no small task.

From what I recall without doing any searching, the Lockheed Lodestar looked like a really pregnant bug-smasher (B-18) and had a pretty good load capability.

If I recall, wasn't it a Lodestar that crashed on takeoff from Malton c.1980 while doing an auto-parts run when the unsecured load all shifted aft? I think it might have been an operation based in Oshawa.

Bit of a grey fog on that one...

There are SO many bush stories, some of which are quite recent. Also c.1981 the PBY that crashed just short of the runway at Sherbrooke. Ran out of gas on the cross-wind approach into the circuit. The deadstick approach was working good until the keel hit the 5 foot thick bolder during the skid-out. Airplane buckled just ahead of the conning tower. Right windmilling prop sliced through the cockpit about 2 cm behind the copilot's head. FE had the presence to run to the back of the airplane when he knew they were dead sticking. I saw the wreck the next day. Everything aft of the conning tower nearly vertical. FE would have been killed. But no injuries. Captain was on his final flight with the company. He walked away and became a CAI with you-know-who!

Then there's the famous EPA guy (who a LOT of ex 9A-ers know really, REALLY well) who, when ferrying this unknown thing he was told to fly called a Canso out of northern Labrador down to Goose pondered to his cojo: "Hmmm, wonder what these two buttons do?" HE became a CAI with you-know-who too!!

25 years later, the wreck was slung out of the bush by a Chinook to Goose, then put on a boat to Halifax. It's sitting at the Airport Museum this day.

If I recall, wasn't it a Lodestar that crashed on takeoff from Malton c.1980 while doing an auto-parts run when the unsecured load all shifted aft? I think it might have been an operation based in Oshawa.

There was a Howard 500 on a bag run that crashed at CYYZ in the summer of `81 that was attributed to an aft CofG. The Howard 500 was sometimes mistaken for a Lodestar.

There was a Howard 500 on a bag run that crashed at CYYZ in the summer of `81 that was attributed to an aft CofG. The Howard 500 was sometimes mistaken for a Lodestar.

Right you are! Thanks for the correction. I only remembered the accident because I knew the F/O. Poor young fellow was just in the wrong place at the wrong time.

The Howard 500 was a private developement of the PV-1 Ventura. Last in the series, the 500 was a monster, but it died a quick death with the development of the Gulfstream G1 as a corporate aircraft. I used to see it in YYC doing it's drop.

A sad end.

I know this is off thread but here's a great link to the Howard. What a machine. Glad I didn't have the chance to hurt myself in it. rolleyes.gif

http://www.flightsimonline.com/howard500/H...d500history.htm

Archived