How low can you go

sustainable

He had the option of calling in sick-if-required if he was sick. He didn't. When he was told he was the bottom guy and that he had to go to work, he booked off right there and then. Classy.

I've workded 14 of the last 20 December 25ths including two where I was scheduled to be off in my block and was Shanghaied into it.

Im not impressed.

He had the option of calling in sick-if-required if he was sick. He didn't. When he was told he was the bottom guy and that he had to go to work, he booked off right there and then. Classy.

I've workded 14 of the last 20 December 25ths including two where I was scheduled to be off in my block and was Shanghaied into it.

Im not impressed.

Well, sick-if-required, or just sick when called works out to be the same thing right? In either case he's sick and you're going to be called to work. Besides, where are you getting this retelling of the story from, a crewscheduler? (Not like they'd have any reason to deflect your frustration toward another pilot?)

How does "sick if required" work?

Sick-if-required is an option for guys who are on reserve. It means that you are sick but won't be docked a sick day unless you would actually have been needed to work. It avoids the situation where you would use a sick day when you weren't actually needed. The end result is that crewsched will consider you to have passed on any flying that comes up until you're the last guy and then you will start to burn sick days.

Sustainable, what are you saving your sick days for, use them up. Why should you or your family suffer for AC. The old days at AC are long gone, I remember the days you had to be on your deathbed before you booked off at Christmas, those days are long gone. Look out for you and yours, don't have misplaced loyalty, they frankly don't give a s#1t.

Merry Christmas

I don't think loyalty to the company comes into it.

If you don't do it some other poor schmuck has to. It's all about screwing your buddies, which I think was the point of the whole thread.

When you sign up for a job that works 24/7/365 there are going to be times that you are not going to be able to enjoy the same days off as the 9-5ers.

I prefered to enjoy the good parts of not working 9-5 rather than be miserable about the bad parts.

Merry Christmas!!

Guest floatrrr
Sustainable, what are you saving your sick days for, use them up. Why should you or your family suffer for AC. The old days at AC are long gone, I remember the days you had to be on your deathbed before you booked off at Christmas, those days are long gone. Look out for you and yours, don't have misplaced loyalty, they frankly don't give a s#1t.

Merry Christmas

And THAT! Folks is precisely why the pilot profession is on a slippery slope downward. ME,ME, ME! The fraternity sickens me more as the years go by.

It galls me to say that it is not just the pilots, it's everywhere in our industry nowadays.

When I started work in '73 I knew that being so junior that I would be working Christmas'. After a few years I had enough senoriity to bid onto a team which worked 6 days on, 3 days off, instead of being a holiday relief worker

Every 3 years our schedule gave us the 25th and 26th off. Other years we had one of the days off or worked right through. No one called in sick.

So from age 19 my family worked around my schedule and we may have had the turkey on the 23rd or maybe the 27th. It just wasn't a big deal.

Once I married and had a child, the same rules applied. My son was never upset that I may not have been around because he was used to my early mornings and late nights.

Actually we had a lot of fun working the 25th and 26th. It's really what you make out of the day.

I have a super photo of my son at age 9 months dressed in a Santa outfit in the flight deck of a DC9 held by the f/a's on Xmas day on our way out to Victoria. I knew the F/A and we didn't see my son other than walking up the aisle in one of the F/a's arms until landing. And yes that was one of the Christmas' I had off in 13 years.

I only hope that the junior people will understand that we all put in our years of working holidays whether we wanted to or not. Now it's your turn.

My advice , learn to enjoy the holidays when you have to work because your goodwill reflects back on the passenger and they enjoy the flight.

Newgirl,,,

That's exactly what's gone on in my house as well. Christmas has become the occasion, not the day. We have done this from the beginning as I've always been on a 6x3 sched.

The problem over the last few years is that you get so many sick calls from the juniors, who want it off regardless, that if you are an honest employee and show up you get hooped because you are forced to pick up the slack. Not a good environment if you show up on Christmas day.

Merry Christmas

Iceman

Interesting... Where I work, "senior" for this discussion matters only when deciding if one wants Christmas off or some decent summer time holiday... Even the most senior, in some cases, won't get both, which is probably not at all unfair, since it often means that more junior folks will get a chance at one or the other as well.

I worked Christmas this time around (and boxing day, and will work both New Years eve and New Years day), with some senior guys, as well as some junior ones.

There are some good folks among our bunch who have no particular need to be off at Christmas, and do what they can to see that people with small children are able to be at home on Christmas day... Thats one of the nicest bits of Christmas giving I've ever seen in the work place. I know it's greatly appreciated.

Archived