My Seasonal Gripe

Azure

If you have LED lights on your house, especially blue.

YOUR UGLY!

Sure, you may be saving money, the planet etc. but do me a favor. DON'T BOTHER AT ALL!

The lights of yesteryear shimmered off the snow creating a wonderous light. Now when I drive at night all those dull bulbs just show me the shape of your house.....and gives me a headache.

I can handle a small LED light on my stereo, but stringing those bastards together is down right nasty.

Probably has a lot to do with all those candles that get lit at the Church Services... Going's on in Churches seem to have a lot to do with Christmas... wink.gif Goodness and Light... Celebrating the new dawn of our Saviour being born...

The tradition of using small candles to light up the Christmas tree dates back to at least the middle of the XVIIth century. However, it took two centuries for the tradition to become widely established first in Germany and soon spreading to Eastern Europe.

Candles for the tree were glued with melted wax to a tree branch or attached by pins. Around 1890, candleholders were first used for Christmas candles. Between 1902 and 1914, small lanterns and glass balls to hold the candles started to be used.

In 1882, the first Christmas tree was light by the use of electricity. Edward Johnson lighted up a Christmas tree in New York City with eighty small electric light bulb. It should be noted that Edward Johnson created the first string of electric Christmas lights that were then mass produced around 1890. By 1900, department stores started using the new Christmas lights for their Christmas displays.

Edward Johnson was one of Thomas Edison's muckers, an inventor who worked under the direction of Edison. Johnson became vice-president of Edison's electric company.

Safe Christmas Lights

Albert Sadacca was fifteen in 1917, when he first got the idea to make safety Christmas lights for Christmas trees. A tragic fire in New York City involving Christmas tree candles inspired Albert to invent electric Christmas lights. The Sadacca family sold ornamental novelty items including novelty lights. Albert adapted some of the products into safe electric lights for Christmas trees. The first year only one hundred strings of white lights sold. The second year Sadacca used brightly colored bulbs and a multi-million dollar business took-off. Later, a company started by Albert Sadacca (and his two brothers Henri and Leon) called NOMA Electric Company became the largest Christmas lighting company in the world

If you have LED lights on your house, especially blue.

YOUR UGLY!

Sure, you may be saving money, the planet etc.  but do me a favor.  DON'T BOTHER AT ALL!

The lights of yesteryear shimmered off the snow creating a wonderous light.  Now when I drive at night all those dull bulbs just show me the shape of your house.....and gives me a headache.

I can handle a small LED light on my stereo, but stringing those bastards together is down right nasty.

Well first ...it is "you're ugly" not "your ugly" biggrin.gif

Sounds like you had a bad day ....I went LED this year, mainly because of the cost and the fact that LEDs are more user friendly. Went with only one color..PURE WHITE...which has a tinge of blue. From what I understand SOFT WHITE is probably more "white" than PURE WHITE.............

Anyhooo, as a rule we normally don't put out too many lights and we do not "frame" our house with lights. Just a few on a small tree out on the lawn and some in two wreaths that are on either side of the front door and this year is very special as all the kids and their spouses and our first granddaughter will be here for Christmas. Kids always remember what their home was like at Christmas before they set sail so I thought two trees would be better. Many years ago I had the cut-outs of Santa on the roof and the reindeer and sleigh and all that stuff but as we aged, our desire waned to emblazen the house with lights.

However, perhaps to your consternation, I have attached a photo of just one little tree we have with LED, PURE WHITE lights on, and as an aside,........... I went out in the pouring rain to take this photo,..................... so please be gracious in your reply biggrin.gif

Merry Christmas..

DKP

I like the LED lights on trees etc. Blue red and green look great together..besides in the winter wonderland I live in , I really don't want to be reminded of the fact that the4 ft snowbank will be around for 3 months or more. Shimmering I don't need.

What I really hate is those super bright headlights on some cars. Now those are nasty especially if you're driving on a single lane highway. They practically blind you.

What I really hate is those super bright headlights on some cars

Actually, in Saskatchewan they are no brighter than everywhere else in Canada...but the lights tend to be pointed more upward due to the load of rocks that the stubble jumpers carry in their trunks ............under the false impression that it will give them more traction in the snow........not realizing that they are maneuvering a front-wheel drive vehicle. biggrin.giftongue.gif

Hi Kip...

Agree with you that the blue spectrum with LED lights does give off a weird light.

As for using the C7 LED's, they look good if you put them in trees or shrubs.

To outline the house, I went with the LED rope lights.

Rope Lights

Same energy saving level, but the appearance when you use them to outline your eaves and windows gives the look of a solid line, which in my opinion, is much nicer.

Just a suggestion. wink.gif

Iceman

Guest rattler
Probably has a lot to do with all those candles that get lit at the Church Services... Going's on in Churches seem to have a lot to do with Christmas... wink.gif Goodness and Light... Celebrating the new dawn of our Saviour being born...

Yes but those displays are limited. Some folks think "Excess" is good and that is reflected in their light displays....

I do not see how the little lights can be more saving of cost or environment when the string does not last as long.

I noticed this year that I only have replaced all but one of the original 5 strands of mini lights from 4 years ago because the lines have a short or I am unable to find a bulb fault that prevents half the string from lighting.

On the other hand I have three strings of big bulbs hanging out there and they are 25 years old. Some of the bulbs might be 20 years old.

White I can handle as it is neutral, but for those that use only blue LED's on their dwelling. user posted image

One of our traditions on Christmas eve was to pile everyone into the largest vehicle and visit several displays.....to the point where I carried a wad of cash to donate where requested.....this year I guess we'll just down the eggnog as I got a sneak peak of a few. I'm thinking Walmart had an aweful lot of blue left over for their boxing day sale last year. sad.gif

Enjoy your granddaughter's first Christmas Kip! Our family is in the transition stage... children all adults, no children of their own yet....nothing is better than a house full of children at Christmas.

I do not see how the little lights can be more saving of cost or environment when the string does not last as long.

I noticed this year that I only have replaced all but one of the original 5 strands of mini lights from 4 years ago because the lines have a short or I am unable to find a bulb fault that prevents half the string from lighting.

On the other hand I have three strings of big bulbs hanging out there and they are 25 years old.  Some of the bulbs might be 20 years old.

That's because the little Chinese fingers don't build them as good as the old Noma gnomes from 25 years ago wink.gif

Have to agree with you though. Have been through a few strings myself, and it's not because the LED bulbs burn out, it is the shoddy workmanship that causes them to short out.

Iceman smile.gif

Kip

YOU BAD, VERY VERY BAD mad.gif

We've lately discovered that bags of softner salt is way better than rocks laugh.gif

Honestly you are so bad ,Santa's going to leave a lump of coal for you this Christmas and it's going to be in Rider Green!

We are the Champions! biggrin.gifbiggrin.gifbiggrin.gif

Kip

YOU BAD, VERY VERY BAD mad.gif

We've lately discovered that bags of softner salt is way better than rocks laugh.gif

Honestly you are so bad ,Santa's going to leave a lump of coal for you this Christmas and it's going to be in Rider Green!

We are the Champions! biggrin.gifbiggrin.gifbiggrin.gif

My gripe is people who live in tropical climates, who have moved there to escape the cold......who whine and pine for snowy white, frosty holiday seasons.

If you like 'em so much, quite lighting up your house with those white string lights like it's been nuked, (at 40cents a kw/h), take the stupid wreath off the front of your 4WD SUV, (like you'll ever drive it off road), and MOVE BACK!

Bah humbug

Archived