JAZZ Needs 2 A.M.E.s in YEG

Just a quick note to get the word out. An internal posting at JAZZ for two AMEs in YEG, drew no takers.

Anybody interested should apply soon, as it appears two people will be hired off the street.

Might not be a dream job, but it is better than a poke in the eye with a sharp stick! (or a boot in the root, for that matter)

Tony!

Heard that the YVR base has just hired some (10 or so?) laid off 'mainline' engineers and there are some more slots opening up soon. But with 700 being laid off (What the newspsper said) I suppose those who already know the combo the the washrooms would have an advantage.

Guest rattler
Not to mention the price of housing in YEG these days, I'm not sure who would be interested in these jobs unless they were already established in Edmonton.

I guess an AME could claim to be a football player and then be adopted by a Edmonton resident. tongue.gif

Eskimos players tackle finding places to live

Updated Tue. Jun. 26 2007 10:18 AM ET

CTV.ca News Staff

While twenty football players have been able to win spots on the roster of Canadian Football League's Edmonton Eskimos, finding a place to live has proven to be a much harder proposition for them.

The new Canadian Football League season starts for the Eskimos on Thursday when they play against Winnipeg and the team is hoping the accommodation problems faced by their players will be solved by then.

Team spokesman Dave Jamieson said the issue arose because many of the players only found out they had made the roster last Friday. Saturday was the first time many of the players had the opportunity to look for a place to live.

"The whole story really broke quite by chance," Jamieson told CTV's Canada AM. "Many of (the players) mentioned offhandedly to a reporter that they were having trouble finding a place to live and of course, then it became a front-page story."

The issue being faced by the Edmonton Eskimos players is a microcosm of a much larger issue in Alberta. Edmonton is a city where the rents are high and the vacancy rates are low.

The province of Alberta's ascendant economy has meant that real estate prices have risen dramatically. The 40.5 per cent increase in the price of a new home over the past year in Edmonton is the highest anywhere in the country according to a Statistics Canada report.

With increasing numbers of people living in vehicles and pitching tents in parks to get by, there have been demonstrations at the provincial legislature decrying the lack of affordable housing.

Because their salaries are not nearly comparable to their much wealthier counterparts in the National Football League in the U.S., the issues surrounding accommodation in the city is affecting the Canadian Football league players.

"They are real people certainly compared to other professional sports leagues," Jamieson said. "They make very modest salaries, many of them have other jobs. A

"And in the case of American players who have come here from south of the border, they have families and homes that they're trying to run back in the States and they're trying to juggle two homes. So they have to get very creative in terms of where they live and how much they can pay for."

However, the players will have plenty of assistance. The Edmonton Eskimos have been inundated with calls from city residents offering to help the players out of their predicament.

"Every second call we took to our administration office yesterday at the Edmonton Eskimo facility was someone in the Edmonton area, either offering up a place for a player to live, or telling us that they knew a friend of a friend who had a place, a basement suite and that kind of thing," Jamieson said.

Jamieson said that the team will process the information they have received from city residents and distribute any pertinent information to players so they can continue their search for a place to live.

• 2 months later...
Versus the "B" scale wage Jazz will pay a new-hire Licenced AME, which I believe is about $22 per hour..... yeah, good luck Jazz!

Licensed, endorsed engineers getting $22/hr to maintain $20,000,000 airplanes! The mind boggles but at least they get to work steady nights for the first 10 years. sad.gif

Pilots take note, you're not the only group that's in a race to the bottom.

"B" scales are going to get people killed I think. When you're competing with Timmy's the very best are not applying, I don't get it! mad.gif

Lets just wait and allow the rules of supply and demand to take effect. Air Canada is looking for station attendants in YYC and YEG, Jazz is looking for AMEs in YEG but neither can fill the positions.After a while, wages will have to be readjusted as turnover rate will be to high.Why work for Jazz at 22$-26$ when you can go to Westjet and make better coin?

The problem with a B scale is that when there are more employees on the B scale then the A scale,a certain power shift occurs and employees (if they so desire and are willing to get involved)can seize control of the union and at next bargaining...they can make things right.Jazz has grown allot in the last few years.... remains to be seen how long the A scale group outnumbers the B scale group.

Eric

Lets see here... I can't imagine what could be the problem.

Air Canada is currently looking for Permanent Full-time and Part-time Station Attendants at the Calgary Airport. You will be providing ground service to our aircraft during station stops. The tasks can vary from physically handling baggage or freight, operating vehicles or complex equipment. You will be working in all weather conditions and must be available for all shifts. 

The current salary is $12.51/hour.

Meanwhile, there is a company in Calgary advertising on every flat surface available for warehouse workers at $18.50 an hour and they even have a shuttle that will pick you up at home!

Hmm... driving a forklift around indoors with a ride to and from work, or pumping "Naughty Word" out of airplanes at 1am in -20 for a third less money?

Lets see here... I can't imagine what could be the problem.

Meanwhile, there is a company in Calgary advertising on every flat surface available for warehouse workers at $18.50 an hour and they even have a shuttle that will pick you up at home!

Hmm... driving a forklift around indoors with a ride to and from work, or pumping "Naughty Word" out of airplanes at 1am in -20 for a third less money?

It is bad enough that on Christmas day at -30 clearing poop out of a line, you are nothing but a number, while execs lounge in their mansions, but to ask the same Christmas day A.M.E to do this for $20/h while the guy at airline "B" is making $35/hr, well, I don't think so, at least at the $20/hr Timmys you are warm and have good coffee. rolleyes.gif

• 2 weeks later...

Gentlemen;

I am afraid I have to agree with pretty much every comment made, in principle at least. Let's take a look at what you are turning your noses up at.

The people JAZZ hires as AMEs in YEG, or even apprentices will be,

- Scheduled to work 166.5 days a year. (198.5 days off)

-Have a pretty darn good benefit package, (100% dental etc.)

- Included in a pension plan that is arguably better than Air Canada's.

-Sent on three endorsement courses within 18 months.

- Working on aircraft in their operating environment, not in a sweat shop hanger. (this job is not for the faint of heart, Edmonton has extreme weather, we are expected to work in some pretty adverse conditions)

- Receiving pass privileges on the best airline in the world!

- Working at a real job, not a flash in the pan oil boom job.

-And with a little bit of interest in helping your co-workers take time off, or with a dirty job on your days off. (staying late to finish a job etc.) Will easily make $70,000 a year.

So if you would like to drive a garbage truck 261 days a year, or sell coffee at Tim's, fill your boots. If you want a career in aircraft maintenance with a good company, PM me and I will get you in touch with my leaders.

Tony!

Gentlemen;

I am afraid I have to agree with pretty much every comment made, in principle at least. Let's take a look at what you are turning your noses up at.

The people JAZZ hires as AMEs in YEG, or even apprentices will be,

- Scheduled to work 166.5 days a year. (198.5 days off)

-Have a pretty darn good benefit package, (100% dental etc.)

- Included in a pension plan that is arguably better than Air Canada's.

-Sent on three endorsement courses within 18 months.

- Working on aircraft in their operating environment, not in a sweat shop hanger. (this job is not for the faint of heart, Edmonton has extreme weather,  we are expected to work in some pretty adverse conditions)

- Receiving pass privileges on the best airline in the world!

- Working at a real job, not a flash in the pan oil boom job.

-And with a little bit of interest in helping your co-workers take time off, or with a dirty job on your days off. (staying late to finish a job etc.) Will easily make $70,000 a year.

So if you would like to drive a garbage truck 261 days a year, or sell coffee at Tim's, fill your boots.  If you want a career in aircraft maintenance with a good company, PM me and I will get you in touch with my leaders.

Tony!

Tony,

Jazz has a two tiered wage system, so at top out wage for the new comers, they would have to work 80 hours per week to get to that 70 grand.

If I was a newbie, I would go with Trans AT (top out with no 2 tiered will be 80 grand base by 2010), Skyservice or West Jet who all pay more and have a good benefit package.

The flight passes, with an 80 plus load factor, good luck getting on if you are junior

As to the compressed work week!!!! nothing last forever! Look at YVR.

The pension, again, nothing lasts forever, AC will be coming for it in 2009.

A Real Job!! Any job you get paid for is real, actually I think Timmys has a better benefit package than AC.

Besides, if you are starting out in Edmonton, who can afford a house with the oil boom going on.

Robert,

Did you start your present job at the top of the pay scale? If so please let all of those looking for work know where these jobs are! I think it took me over five years to get to the top level in pay, I guess I missed something.

The second tier pay scale is only 10% less than the "A" scale. Your mythical person working 80 hours a week would be taking in $120,000 a year. (even without factoring in over-time) Please inform yourself with facts if you plan on calling someone a liar. I am here, and pretty much have a grip on what it is all about.

Fill your boots and work for who ever you want, where ever you want. We have a pretty good gig here. If that bothers you let me know, I'll tell you how little I care.

Tony!

Robert,

Did you start your present job at the top of the pay scale? If so please let all of those looking for work know where these jobs are! I think it took me over five years to get to the top level in pay, I guess I missed something.

The second tier pay scale is only 10% less than the "A" scale. Your mythical person working 80 hours a week would be taking in $120,000 a year. (even without factoring in over-time) Please inform yourself with facts if you plan on calling someone a liar. I am here, and pretty much have a grip on what it is all about.

Fill your boots and work for who ever you want, where ever you want. We have a pretty good gig here. If that bothers you let me know, I'll tell you how little I care.

Tony!

Easy big fella, no one's calling you names at least from what I read.

Roberts point is well presented and so is yours. The problem with aircraft maintenance these days is it's becoming virtually impossible to get the young guys into it. The reasons are many but sh!tty wages to start are one of the big ones. At the top end where a lot of us are it's okay. I too have a really good gig but if I was 20 years old I'd probably be looking somewhere else for a career.

Air Canada and Jazz by extension have done a pretty good job of minimizing the role of quality maintenance and personel in much the same way that the pilots too have been marginalized. "Bus drivers and grease monkey's" are derogatory comments and this is an effective way of changing perceptions. I'm not saying that AC is the only one but look at the recent base closings and how little regard to the lives of the people affected they showed. CAIL and their predecessors took base closings to a fine art.

That's a little O/T but it shows the general mentality of many companies.

"B" scales are wrong, I don't care how you present it, they are wrong.

Re "B" scales, if they are wrong then I guess the rank and file will seek to eliminate them in 2009??( is that when the contract opens)? I wonder how many will be willing to give up anything to give the "newbies" a better starting wage?

B scale wages do tend to sort out those who will be onboard for the "long haul" vs those who will not.

Archived