Not everyone likes the Snowbirds....

Kip Powick

unsure.gif "We showed 'em who was f___in' boss!" ...?? huh.gif

I'm inclined to think they showed no such thing... they only showed everyone who watches that video some rather unprofessional behaviour.

I think it's sad that that one made it to the internet.

Guest rattler
unsure.gif "We showed 'em who was f___in' boss!" ...?? huh.gif

I'm inclined to think they showed no such thing... they only showed everyone who watches that video some rather unprofessional behaviour.

I think it's sad that that one made it to the internet.

Little boys with big toys...... thumbs_down.gif

Mitch/Rattler…

There is probably not a pilot on this forum or any other aviation forum that has not made similar remarks about their peers at one time or another. Pilots are a strange breed ..they think that the world revolves around them, egos are stretched to the limit and their ingrained attitude is normally, “Hey..I’m number one…move your aircraft” and it doesn’t matter if you are on the ground or in the air.

Pilots have the utmost respect for their brethren and in the majority of cases the “ignorant” remarks made about one of their own is made in jest, or perhaps envy, but it is a way of releasing pent up emotion and further rationalizing their own ego that they are number ONE……. although the situation at hand may not reflect that.

The video….nothing more than a QFI mouthing off , probably for the benefit of his student, that the Snowbirds should not get in the way of a future “Fighter” pilot. cool26.gif

The video….nothing more than a QFI mouthing off , probably for the benefit of his student, that the Snowbirds should not get in the way of a future “Fighter” pilot. cool26.gif

From the way the student was handling the Hawk I think he may be destined for rotary wing rather than fighters.

Guest rattler

Mitch/Rattler…

There is probably not a pilot on this forum or any other aviation forum that has not made similar remarks about their peers at one time or another. Pilots are a strange breed ..they think that the world revolves around them, egos are stretched to the limit and their ingrained attitude is normally, “Hey..I’m number one…move your aircraft” and it doesn’t matter if you are on the ground or in the air.

Pilots have the utmost  respect for their brethren and in the majority of cases the “ignorant” remarks made about one of their own is made in jest, or perhaps envy, but it is a way of releasing pent up emotion  and further  rationalizing their own ego that they are number ONE……. although the situation at hand may not reflect that.

Strange way to attempt to gain the student's respect. Perhaps too much influence from the "Trailer Park Boys"?

I understand what you're saying Kip... And I can even imagine myself with the same attitude in the same situation, given the right frame of mind... (I'm glad you all can't hear some of the things I'm liable to say while I'm playing with our airplanes!) But I wouldn't want to advertise that behaviour... I wouldn't be proud of it... and I sure wouldn't want a video of it released to the public domain!

...Sad too that the QFI wouldn't have more respect (and demonstrate to the student more respect!) for the level of skill required to be a Snowbird pilot. Aren't they, after all, some of our best fighter pilots?

Not a prerequisite to be a fighter pilot to be on the Snowbirds. Some of these guys have never seen the inside of a fighter, many are ex QFIs who have demonstrated the ability to fly the Tutor well and are selected to be on the team. True, some have a "whiz-bang" background...but many do not.

Seeker, The "Hawk" is the transition to the F-18 school......he would not be going on choppers and I am surprised you would comment on anyones ability after watching a two minute video clip. dry.gif

From the DND Web page.....

Student fighter pilots will spend 80 hours training on the Hawk in Moose Jaw, followed by an additional 45 hours in the Fighter Lead-In program in Cold Lake. At this stage, pilots will be ready to join the Cold Lake Operational Training Unit, which flies Canada's CF-18 Hornets

Mitch, I think who ever posted the video did so in jest...nothing more...but I would imagine the QFI, if aware of the video, is very embarassed. biggrin.gif

Seeker, The "Hawk" is the transition to the F-18 school......he would not be going on choppers and I am surprised you would comment on anyones ability after watching a two minute video clip. dry.gif

OK, the guy just seemed a bit rough on the controls, but you're right of course, can't really tell from a short video clip.

Guest rattler

And of course we should not lose sight of the fact that the young folks in our military perform very "Mature" duties and I guess I for one should cut them some slack if they find the need to blow off steam.

Kip,

I thought it was highly amusing - I was never a fighter puke (or herc or chopper or anything military) but I don't think we can read too much into this. The guy obviuosly knows he's being recorded and it would seem to be some of that "good-natured" rivalry we always hear about...

Cheers Chico

PS BTW is there a way to capture videos from this sight so I can play them on my computer when not in internet range???

Well actually I didn't miss it but haveing "been there - done that" FIS instructors are called upon to do variuos things at various times.

I have done normal refresher flying, basic training check rides, mutal QFI check rides as well as FIS instructing and FIS student check rides.

He may have been instructing, (filling in) for a reg "Hawk QFI or he may have been actually instructing an ex tour pilot to be a Hawk QFI.....dunno...only "they" know. huh.gif

The call sign is the call sign of the FIS school though...the good old Vikings. A bunch of us actually bought a crapped out old stationwagon, painted it orange and had the FIS decal on the hood and used it for transport between the PMQs and the flight line when we were moved back to Gimli. One Saturday morning , after Friday night beer call, we had to pull the vehicle out of the ditch opposite the maingate at the Base........I wonder who missed the turn after leaving the base?????? I wonder where the car went when we all moved on......? That car cost a $100.00, the paint from the base was "free". wink.gif

Just curious, have you ever flown a Hawk?  Well, maybe that's not fare...have you ever flown a tandem seat jet? ohmy.gif

Didn't think so! rolleyes.gif

Handyman;

I've never flown a Hawk or any tandem seat jet but I don't think that's a prerequisite to be able to say the guy seemed rough on the controls. You see, by using the word "seemed" it means that I'm expressing an opinion based on the available facts, in this case the short video clip.

seeker

Archived